what type of learner are you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meatbone1

Female Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this while researching various colleges in the metro ATL area for post-bac work.
I thought this was very interesting and would like to know for those that were successful in college, how accurate was this especially going into medical school for those that have been accepted
http://www.engr.ncsu.edu/learningstyles/ilsweb.html

My Scores:
ACT=5
INT=1
VIS=5
SEQ=1

I found in the explination and 'how to help'
the following points:
INT=be in a class that deals primarily with memorization and rote substitution in formulas, you may have troupble with boredom...which is me EXACTLY. I can not sit in one place for to long just listening and not actively participating.
INT= like innovation and dislike repetition, prone to careless mistakes on test because you are impatient with details and dont like repetition.

Wonder how I will do as a med student. Others feel free to chime in and discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

REF=1
SEN=3
VIS=9
GLO=5

I already knew I was a visual learner, so meh. I don't think these tests are accurate, though. I can sense where the questions are going, so I answer the questions according to what I think of myself, not very representative of who I actually am.

I was equal Active/Reflective(1)

I was slightly Intuitive (3)

Heavily Verbal (7)

Heavily Sequential (7)

I've taken a lot of learning surveys as I used to tutor and serve as an academic advisor for students who ended up on warning status at my school. In all of those previous, I usually ended up a rather good mix of everything. Although, those surveys were usually measuring Visual/Auditory/Kinesthetic/Tactile traits, where this is a little different. Regardless, I think there will be enough flexibility and enough diversity in the class itself that nobody will have too hard a time learning optimally.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am:

ACT 3
SEN 11
VIS 5
SEQ 9

hm.

REF 5
SEN 9
VIS 1
SEQ 7

Interesting...I've always considered myself a visual learner

REF 7
SEN 11 !!!!!
VRB 1
SEQ 5

I agree with fizzle but it still can be informative.

Last edited:
Ref 7
sen 9
vrb 3
glo 5

Ref 7
int 1
vrb 1
glo 1

ACT=3
SEN=1
VIS=7
Seq=5

Lol yup no surprise here, I'm a very visual learner.

REF-1
INT-9
VIS-11
GLO-5

Hrm, I can buy that... Definitely the intuitive. I can't stand repetition. Do you realize how many times I've been taught the henderson-hasselbach equation??? At least 10, and it's the simplest thing, ugh... And I definitely can't pay attention to a lecture for more than 10 seconds, so VIS is definitely right. cool stuff

ACT 3
SEN 3
VIS 1
SEQ 9

Gee.. haha I am active, sensing, sort of visual (i actually heavily prefer lecture types classes so i guess it depends on the subject.. the questions about this were weird) and HEAVILY sequential.. eh.lol

Members don't see this ad :)
REF - 5 (reflective)
INT - 5 (Intuitive)
VIS - 9 (Strong Visual)
GLO -5 (Global)

Thanks for finding this site! I'm going to recommend it to the students I advise, and share with with the advisors I work with. It's not perfect, but it's one of the best that I've tried to find for students. Plus, the explanations are great.

One suggestion I have for this type of test: Have the test taker imagine a subject while answering the questions because people's learning styles are different in different subjects. For example, I learn differently in a chem class than I do in a Psychology class. I learned that the hard way.

Happy New Year! It's time for me to get off SDN until next year.

Act 3
sen 1
vis 3
glo 1

I guess there are a lot of tests out there since I had never seen this one. But I am not sure how accurate it is - I am a visual learner, yet the test seems to suggest otherwise.

REF:11
INT:9
VRB:7
GLO:5

We need a poll.

ACT: 1
INT: 5
VIS: 11
GLO 5

not suprising

Ones and threes across the board.

I'm one of those people who can listen to a lecture and then tell you about it a year late, no problem.

REF: 7
INT: 11
VRB: 1
SEQ: 7

I didn't like this test so much. Sometimes they try to make me choose between something I wouldn't choose. Often actually.

For example, "do you prefer graphs/charts/blahblah or written descriptions".
  • Well, I prefer both actually. Graphs aren't useful without proper written introduction and introductions are made more lucid with graphs/diagrams.
"Would you rather try things out first or think them through (all of these paraphrased)"
  • Well geeze. For some things I want to try them first and for others I want to think them through first. I'm not so black and white that I take the same approach to everything. It's not even a strong bias in my case.
I just don't like that approach but whatever.

REF 7 [Moderately Reflective]
SEN 11 [Strongly Sensing]
VIS 7 [Moderately Visual]
SEQ 1 [Balanced Sequential/Global]

one thing i learned about this whole process of applying to med school:

it doesn't matter what these tests say, you must do whatever it takes to become a verbal, visual, auditory, and textual learner. It doesn't matter how you think you need to learn.

Don't ever fail at something and tell yourself, I didn't understand it because of the way I studied for it and/or it was lectured to me. It's because I'm an "x" learner.

Call me crazy but all I know is that the past 3 years of my life have been about crawling, pushing myself, and persevering in every aspect (studying for the mcat, working, applying) just so i could get that thick envelope in the mail that says "we are pleased to offer you acceptance".

narmerguy, i totally get your criticisms. i had the same problem.. thankfully i have a pretty good idea of how i need to learn :) (heavy pbl schools would be terrible for me i am 95% sure lol)

Ref: 11 (very strong)
Int: 1
Vis: 3
Glo: 5 (moderate)

"How can reflective learners help themselves?
If you are a reflective learner in a class that allows little or no class time for thinking about new information, you should try to compensate for this lack when you study. Don't simply read or memorize the material; stop periodically to review what you have read and to think of possible questions or applications. You might find it helpful to write short summaries of readings or class notes in your own words. Doing so may take extra time but will enable you to retain the material more effectively....

How can global learners help themselves? If you are a global learner, it can be helpful for you to realize that you need the big picture of a subject before you can master details. If your instructor plunges directly into new topics without bothering to explain how they relate to what you already know, it can cause problems for you. Fortunately, there are steps you can take that may help you get the big picture more rapidly. Before you begin to study the first section of a chapter in a text, skim through the entire chapter to get an overview. Doing so may be time-consuming initially but it may save you from going over and over individual parts later. Instead of spending a short time on every subject every night, you might find it more productive to immerse yourself in individual subjects for large blocks. Try to relate the subject to things you already know, either by asking the instructor to help you see connections or by consulting references. Above all, don't lose faith in yourself; you will eventually understand the new material, and once you do your understanding of how it connects to other topics and disciplines may enable you to apply it in ways that most sequential thinkers would never dream of."

ok. confrims what i already knew and have figured out so long ago its already 2nd nature.

ACT=1
SEN=5
VIS=5
SEQ=9

Interesting...

Ref: 1
Int: 3
Vis: 9
Glo: 3

ACT:7
SEN:3
VIS:5
GLO:1

pretty much what i expected

REF 9
INT 9
VRB 11
GLO 9

Can I blame this for both mcat verbal of 14 and also failing Anatomy?

REF=11
SEN=5
VIS =11
SEQ=3

i heart powerpoint.

ACT 5
SEN 7
VIS 7
SEQ 1

Is there any correlation between learning style and premeds yet?

yeah everyones a visual learner

only a few of us 'just read the damn book' type of people left

ACT 5
SEN 7
VIS 7
SEQ 1

Is there any correlation between learning style and premeds yet?

After enough people answered, I was going to throw it in an excel sheet and get some rough averages.

Act 1
sen 1
vis 7
seq 1

REF 1
SEN 1
VIS 7
SEQ 1

Most people are visual learners but it looks like quite a few people have already reported back verbal. I know most college classes really aren't visual learning friendly so I'd expect a larger than average verbal from this group. (but we'll see)

narmerguy, i totally get your criticisms. i had the same problem.. thankfully i have a pretty good idea of how i need to learn :) (heavy pbl schools would be terrible for me i am 95% sure lol)

Yeah I agree as well. Sometimes I found myself answering a question just so it would get the desired response even if that wasn't necessarily true simply because I already know what my learning type should end up being...if that makes any sense :scared:

Yeah I agree as well. Sometimes I found myself answering a question just so it would get the desired response even if that wasn't necessarily true simply because I already know what my learning type should end up being...if that makes any sense :scared:
yea!! i totally do the EXACT same thing and that skews the results im sure.