What type of MA and can I get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueNightSky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice on which type of MA I should get. I would like to be a licensed counselor in California, so my obvious choice was MA in Counseling, but I heard there is also something called Counseling Psychology (or is it Psychology of Counseling?). Also, I would like to know other options in MA to make sure I'm going the right route.

Another concern of mine is would I get in? I don't have stellar grades or a good GPA (3.1 overall, 3.6 major). I had a few bad grades lower my GPA significantly throughout the years. I honestly wasn't considering grad school until last year, so I haven't set myself up well. I've been working a 7-day-a-week job (36hrs) that is totally unrelated to psychology to pay for living expenses. I have taken loans out to pay for tuition expenses, though. Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because I have no research experience or job experience in my field of study. I'm a senior now and hoping to find a job related to my field, and take time off from school to pay back loans. Within 2 years, though, I would like to go on to a masters program and get my counseling license. I would like to stay in California, and preferably stay in the Bay Area.

I have strongly considered SJSU as they have an option for a counseling license, and they are a state college, so tuition wouldn't be as expensive. Other places I considered are JFKU and USF California. I tried looking up reviews on these places online and saw some horrible Yelp reviews (not the best place to get info but that's what popped up when I searched), so I am not sure about applying to these schools.

What is or recommendation on type of MA? And what school would you recommend for this? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The bay area is saturated with mental health providers, masters and doctoral. I would research the market demand for such a degree in that area.

There are definitely a lot of programs and jobs available here. I have done some job searches throughout my undergrad time and have consistently noticed that MA's, PhD's and PsyD's are heavily favored. The alternative would be a lot of years experience in the specific type of job you are applying for. This is a big reason why I want to go on to grad school. I would like opportunity for job advancement, and a graduate degree seems essential for this.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are definitely a lot of programs and jobs available here. I have done some job searches throughout my undergrad time and have consistently noticed that MA's, PhD's and PsyD's are heavily favored. The alternative would be a lot of years experience in the specific type of job you are applying for. This is a big reason why I want to go on to grad school. I would like opportunity for job advancement, and a graduate degree seems essential for this.

I think you misunderstood my point. Because there are so many MH professionals in that area, your competition for jobs will be high. I'm sure there are jobs, but the ratio of applicants to jobs is likely enormous due to the number of educational programs in the area and the number of people who want to stay in that area after graduating from them. Remember, the degree (and licensure) is a requisite for these jobs, it's not a "leg up."

Also, doctorate level provider are not to be equated with master level providers, even if HR department do this at times. The education, skill sets, and usually the job descriptions/responsibilities are vastly different.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstood my point. Because there are so many MH professionals in that area, your competition for jobs will be high. I'm sure there are jobs, but the ratio of applicants to jobs is likely enormous due to the number of educational programs in the area and the number of people who want to stay in that area after graduating from them. Remember, the degree (and licensure) is a requisite for these jobs, it's not a "leg up."

Also, doctorate level provider are not to be equated with master level providers, even if HR department do this at times. The education, skill sets, and usually the job descriptions/responsibilities are vastly different.

I do understand what you're saying erg923, but there are a lot of psych related jobs available here. And yes, I'm aware that there is a lot of competition which is a big reason why I'm option for a masters (along with pay level). I know that an MA and PhD aren't the same thing. I have looked at job postings, though, that don't require PhD or even MA but want a lot of experience in trade of these degrees. Having a grad degree is a leg up in the jobs I have seen around this area. I don't plan on moving from here.

The information I'm looking for is what type of MA to go after and if I would be able to get in. If not, what would be a good way to boost my chances. These are the questions I'm hoping will be addressed.

The LCSW is likely the most marketable and versatile degree for masters level clinical service delivery.

Reactions: 1 user