what type of questions can they ask of anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

Reborn24

and how do u study for CTs and MRIs for anatomy section of step 1. my curriculum didn't go into that very well.

Members don't see this ad.

High yield areas for CT on the USMLE are head and abdomen. Be able to pick out the aorta, liver, kidney and pancreas in the abdomen and know the diff between epidural/subdural/SAH for the head.

MRI is very low yield on USMLE. I didnt have one question with an MRI.

Good anatomy questions often involve muscles innervated by/supplied by what nerves/arteries (i.e. what function is limited when the common peroneal nerve is damaged, etc), also embryology of organs, trauma to joints (what ligament/tendon/nerve) is affected

How anatomy heavy is the test? I've heard everything from no more than 12 questions to 30.

Here's a sample question I got

The blue thing's connected to the, red thing. The red thing's connected to the, purple thing. The purple thing's connected to my ________

a) wristwatch
b) lingula
c) pronator teres
d) Hi everybody!
e) Nucleus Basalis of Meynert

Members don't see this ad :)
velo said:
Here's a sample question I got

The blue thing's connected to the, red thing. The red thing's connected to the, purple thing. The purple thing's connected to my ________

a) wristwatch
b) lingula
c) pronator teres
d) Hi everybody!
e) Nucleus Basalis of Meynert

I actually got this one too - the blue thing's irrelevant info, and the answer is the lingula. Straight out of first aid.

raidermedic said:
How anatomy heavy is the test? I've heard everything from no more than 12 questions to 30.

Yeah, somewhere in the middle. I probably had maybe 10 questions that I needed anatomy to answer. Many others I could answer with pathology knowledge.

Idiopathic said:
Yeah, somewhere in the middle. I probably had maybe 10 questions that I needed anatomy to answer. Many others I could answer with pathology knowledge.

how about brachial plexus?

Weirdoc said:
how about brachial plexus?

It seems from practice q's like that's pretty high yield. Both the brachial plexus and really knowing what is innervated by the ulnar/radial/median nerves