What type of Research experience is good for applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willole

Reaction score
I've read on here and other pre-vet forums that having research experience is great for vet school applications, but I was wondering if my experience matches what schools like to see. I have about a year (250 hours) working as a research assistant in a Psychology/Social Sciences lab (before I wanted to do VetMed). There I learned a ton about the research process (i.e. conducting sound studies, interpreting statistical findings, data-entry and manipulation, publishing papers and posters). Should I try to get more 'hard-science' or animal-related experience, or do you think what I have is fine if I can market it well on an application. It definitely taught me a lot about how people work, if that makes sense... And I am very passionate about the type of research I got to do. Im just curious because at this point in my pre-vet career, I don't really want to dedicate so much time towards being an unpaid research assistant, especially since I've already spent a year doing so and need to prioritize animal experience.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I found these previously posted here...

and it looks like they're stressing that research is research xD... looks like I'm good then, but any other input is very helpful, thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you CAN get some more practical non-social-science research without any ill effects on your grades or other experiences, then go for it, but don't stress too hard about it. Plenty of folks also get in with virtually no research experience, too, so it's definitely not a requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research is research. The vast majority of applicants dont have any research at all, so whatever you have will only help.

Reactions: 1 users
I think what you have now is great. It sounds like you have a solid understanding of the scientific method regardless of whether it was "hard science." Anything can be marketed well as long as you put in that effort.

I would not seek out opportunities just because you think it will look good. I think you should pursue what interests you.

Reactions: 1 user