What type of US work visa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUBran

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in pharmacy at Waterloo and I want to do my (paid) 4-month co-op work term in the US next summer. I am wondering what kind of VISA i should be applying for, since I am a student but I won't be going there to attend classes, so it wouldn't be a student visa. Any info is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same dilemma. I am a doctoral student at the University of Toronto and would like to complete my one year pre-docotoral internship at a U.S. hospital. Is the J-1 visa the route to take?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm in pharmacy at Waterloo and I want to do my (paid) 4-month co-op work term in the US next summer. I am wondering what kind of VISA i should be applying for, since I am a student but I won't be going there to attend classes, so it wouldn't be a student visa. Any info is appreciated!

I have the same dilemma. I am a doctoral student at the University of Toronto and would like to complete my one year pre-docotoral internship at a U.S. hospital. Is the J-1 visa the route to take?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The honest truth is, I really have no idea. However, no one else has been brave enough to make any suggestions, so I'll try.

J-1 is an option. Note that the J-1 for non-physicians is totally different from the medical J-1.

Being Canadian, another option is the TN visa. I have no experience with this. It appears to be very easy to obtain if you're Canadian -- you simply show up at the border with all of the required documentation, and you get your visa. You must be a full canadian citizen to get a TN, PR's cannot get TN's.

Note that, before anyone asks, TN visas CANNOT be used for a medical residency.