What type of vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What type of vet?

• Small

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Large

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Mixed

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • Research

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other

Votes: 28 23.9%

• Total voters
Quote from the article: "the large-animal vets are not as uptight and seem to like what they're doing more."

This has been my observation as well.

Edit: Before anyone gets offended - I should add that I plan on going into Small Animal private practice in 100 years or so (after vet school + internship + residency).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the same goes for the clients (at least from my experience).

Depends on what type of large animal- go into equine and I think you might find some pretty uptight horse owners. And understandably so with the investments that some of them are.

Speaking of types of vet, I was reading an article in DVM magazine at work about the USDA paying off your loans if you go into large animal medicine in underserved areas. Anyone know anything about this?

Equine for me! I aggree with previous statements though... Large animal people (drs., techs, owners) in general tend to be more laid back. Certainly there are exceptions with uptight/high stakes horse owners, but less common than nervous/uptight small animal folks.

So I want to do exotic animal medicine (pets) or small animal or a mix of the two. But what I really want to do is be an anesthesiologist and work on animal pain management. One of the reasons I'm going to TN is that someone there was running a pain management study on beardies when I was there. How cool is that?!?! :cool:

lab animal medicine :-D at least at this moment...

wildlife/zoo medicine. My real goal is to work full time as a zoo vet but that's going to take a loooooong time to accomplish

I'm actually not sure what field I want to work in. For the longest time I wanted to do large animal medicine, especially therio and neonatal care. However, during this past year I have developed an interest in aquatic medicine. Since the two fields are in no way related, I know that I'm eventually going to have to pick one. Unless I can somehow work things out and spend half of my career in one field and the other half in the other field...

Speaking of types of vet, I was reading an article in DVM magazine at work about the USDA paying off your loans if you go into large animal medicine in underserved areas. Anyone know anything about this?

Yes. It's the most recent approach to solving the large animal vet shortage. But it's still in the works. Discussions are under way as to what the best way is to recruit people interested in this area.

And you have to sign a contract that states you will do this for a certain period of time.

Equine. After I get some extra letters after my name (DVM/VMD/BVSc, of course, and ??? DACVIM?).

I find it interesting that a lot of the stories from small animal people on the worst clients thread are worse and/or more egregiously antisocial than the legends in the practice I work for. As I said, those stories make horse people sound sane and laid back! I've NEVER heard of a horse owner being physically violent. Of course, maybe I've just been lucky. :)

P.S. That doesn't mean I haven't met a number of equine clients that are so uptight that they would drive you up the wall asking endless, accusatory questions implying that all you care about is making money or that you don't really know *their* Poopsie, who needs extra special care ohanddon'tyouknow he hates stall rest, never mind that he runs like a ***** in turnout and is not likely to ever be right again if you don't let his injured tendon/ligament/etc. heal properly.

Members don't see this ad :)
YAY for straight girls in large animal medicine!!! :p

Whatever, we know you like *****. *Reference to your profile picture* :laugh:

<-- straight chick wanting to do cows...

Wait! That doesn't sound right! :D

sixseveneightnineteneleventwelvethirteenfourteen.

Heh heh ... now I feel peer pressured (as a straight girl) to say large animal, but alas I wanna be a small animal and exotics vet ... :)

Whatever, we know you like *****. *Reference to your profile picture* :laugh:

HAHA I guess you caught me... damn I thought I was so stealthy about covering that up...

lab animal vet for me :D

I wonder if there's a lot more jobs with lab animals over there... I can't think of any colleaugues that want to be lab animal vets but I can't think of many places where you could either. Then again, you guys in the US do have 15 times our population, so theres probably a lot more researching going on...

What number would I be? 5 or 15? I am straight, female, and wanna work with large animals!!! WooHoo!

i want to work with all sizes of wildlife (from bears, camelids, ungulates down to rodents and voles). so, what does that make me? :confused:

I definitely want to do either large or small animal surgery. There are things I like about both, but I think part of the thing that attracts me to large animal surgery is the concept of doing a laparotomy on a horse. That has to be insane.

Hi, everyone! New here. Have been lurking, really looking forward to becoming a part of this board! So far, it seems pretty awesome :)

I'll be applying to vet school this year, for matriculation in 2008.

Anyway, if I go into practice, I'd like to be a small animal vet; however, I am really fascinated by/interested in veterinary pathology! Anyone else?

The only specialty I'm a bit interested in besides surgery is anesthesiology. My friend did anesthesia at UPenn's veterinary hospital; it sounds very cool.

Sigh. I'm so indecisive. Mixed practice? Public Veterinary Services? We'll see. :)

The only specialty I'm a bit interested in besides surgery is anesthesiology. My friend did anesthesia at UPenn's veterinary hospital; it sounds very cool.

Yay anesthesiology! It rules! I love the ability to manage animal pain.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a job just doing anesthesia or anesthesia/pain? I'm assuming you'd have to work at a pretty big center.

clinical teaching in some specialty... i don't know what. patho sounds really cool to me too but i think i want something more hands-on with actually living animals. i'll have to wait and see.

well, lab animal medicine interests me more everyday. but i always wanted to do zoo surgery (is there even a high enough demand for that?) or pathology, or immunology.... can you all see where this is going?!

Well, my ideal practice would be treating dolphins, horses, and dogs. As that seems an unlikely trio, I am currently considering either zoo/wildlife, equine, or emergency medicine. Right now, leaning towards zoo and wildlife.

...although I suppose I could fit all three in if I do mixed practice and then volunteer at a stranding network (during my ample free time, of course...) :p