What UG research fields publish more often?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

humbledoctor

dmsaha
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I researched in a biochemistry lab for 2 years in UG and never published. One problem was that it was hard to trouble shoot what hindered results because of the sensitivity of the virus I was crystallizing.

I am looking for a lab to work in again now, in my year off, and researching and publishing would help me in applying to medical school.

While I am enthusiastic about research I had a bad UG experience and want to find a good PI in my gap year. I know I can work hard on a project, but I would rather put my energy towards a project that has potential to publish. How do I determine what labs are likely to help me with this goal?What areas of research publish more often?
*I considered researching in:
-Nutrition
-Pharmacology labs
-Physiology
-Healthcare economics
-Clinical Research/ Psychology labs
-Neuroscience

*any other fields anyone would suggest?
(I am a biology major and nutrition minor)

Here are some of my questions also:
Does it necessarily help to find a PI who publishes often?
Does the PI have the final say on if a student's name is published?
Are students still published when they work on a graduate student's project?
Who decides if a student will be published or plays a significant enough role?

With the ultimate goal of being accepted into medical school and becoming a
physician, pre-med students like myself who take a break from school for the sake of research need to assure that they have concrete evidence attesting to both their level of commitment and direction during their gap year.

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest you looking up some analytical chemistry labs, they publish like crazy and a lot of them will work with biomolecules.

Assistant professor will usually publish a lot more than full professor in the same field.

Clinical research will publish a lot.

Look for labs that are punching out a lot of papers with a lot of authors on the papers.

Does it necessarily help to find a PI who publishes often? Yes it helps

Does the PI have the final say on if a student's name is published? Yes, and if you have contributed to the project you should get published

Are students still published when they work on a graduate student's project? Yes, if you have contributed to their work.

Who decides if a student will be published or plays a significant enough role? The PI