What undergrad classes expire after so many years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spicykimchi

Inactive
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Certain classes, such as biology, are only good for like seven years and then you have to retake them again for a vet school to accept them, is that right?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. It is my understanding that all required courses have to be taken within a set amount of years. Some vet schools will work with you if there's a good reason why - i.e. you only have two old courses...everything else is new...something came up in the family.

I would just check with whichever veterinary schools you're interested in to see their policies regarding it.

The "expiration" of classes is based on individual schools' policies, not on the class itself. Check with the schools you are interested in to see what your situation merits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the shortest expiration period is probably 6 years, and some schools go to 8 or 10 years. Some only care about specific courses (not all pre-reqs, but just this or that) and some will waive the time limit if you can show that you've been continuing your education ever since or have been employed in a relevant field, etc...

And a couple schools give you the option to re-take a course after a certain amount of time and have the grade replace rather than average, but it's not required - just an option.

I've been taking classes since 2000, and I didn't run into any problems... Minnesota even accepted an algebra course I took at a community college while I was in HS- back in 1999.

That said, none of my "major" science prerequisites were terribly old, so I don't know if this is why the schools I applied to were so lenient in this regard. As others have said, this is one area where there's a lot of variability from school to school.

I'm applying at only the UMN, so my experience is limited, but I do know that I used classes extending alllllll the way back to, ahem, the early 90's. As in, last century. :)

None of them were the more advanced science classes; I don't know if that matters.