Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I am posting here to get some advice whether it be schools to look into or tips that helped you when applying. This is my third application cycle and I am starting to lose hope in ever being accepted. I am a 24 year old male from New Mexico (WICHE applicant) so I would hope to get into Colorado State, Washington State, or Oregon State. My undergraduate GPA is low due to a series of C's in Organic Chemistry I&II, Biochemistry, and Genetics (high credit courses). Otherwise, I got A's and B's in all other courses finishing my B.S. in 3.5 years. Since my last application cycle I have earned a Master's Degree in Biomedical Diagnostics with a 4.0. I am hoping this will help boost my application and help me get in somewhere, but I am worried that it will have little effect. I have worked very hard to better not only my application but also better myself so I hope I can reflect that. If any previously successful applicants with similar stats or anyone in general can help me out and give me a sense of hope I would greatly appreciate it!
Schools I am interested in (in order of interest level):
- Colorado State (WICHE)
- Washington State (WICHE)
- Oregon State (WICHE)
- Iowa State
- Tennessee (Long Shot)
- Michigan State
- Minnesota
- Mississippi State
2024 (Previous Cycle) Stats (based on ISU file review):
Cumulative GPA: 3.08
science GPA: 2.86
last 45: 3.51
2026 (Current) Stats:
Cumulative GPA: 3.24
science GPA: depends on school requirements
last 45: 3.85
Any degrees achieved
- Bachelors of Science: Cellular & Molecular Biology
- Masters of Science: Biomedical Diagnostics
Veterinary Experience:
- Veterinary Assistant (Mixed Animal Practice): 484 hours
- Veterinary Assistant (Small Animal and Exotics): 5600 hours (spread through 3 clinics)
Animal Experience:
- 6 years of 4H
- About 600 hours of pet sitting
Research Experience:
- Assisted BioAro with creating a market entry strategy for their novel diagnostic BioSport as part of masters program.
Volunteer
- Snow Plow Operator: voluntarily cleared the snow from driveways and roads in my neighborhood during winter breaks in college
- Volunteer Coach: helped the next generation of athletes in my community during winter and summer breaks
I am posting here to get some advice whether it be schools to look into or tips that helped you when applying. This is my third application cycle and I am starting to lose hope in ever being accepted. I am a 24 year old male from New Mexico (WICHE applicant) so I would hope to get into Colorado State, Washington State, or Oregon State. My undergraduate GPA is low due to a series of C's in Organic Chemistry I&II, Biochemistry, and Genetics (high credit courses). Otherwise, I got A's and B's in all other courses finishing my B.S. in 3.5 years. Since my last application cycle I have earned a Master's Degree in Biomedical Diagnostics with a 4.0. I am hoping this will help boost my application and help me get in somewhere, but I am worried that it will have little effect. I have worked very hard to better not only my application but also better myself so I hope I can reflect that. If any previously successful applicants with similar stats or anyone in general can help me out and give me a sense of hope I would greatly appreciate it!
Schools I am interested in (in order of interest level):
- Colorado State (WICHE)
- Washington State (WICHE)
- Oregon State (WICHE)
- Iowa State
- Tennessee (Long Shot)
- Michigan State
- Minnesota
- Mississippi State
2024 (Previous Cycle) Stats (based on ISU file review):
Cumulative GPA: 3.08
science GPA: 2.86
last 45: 3.51
2026 (Current) Stats:
Cumulative GPA: 3.24
science GPA: depends on school requirements
last 45: 3.85
Any degrees achieved
- Bachelors of Science: Cellular & Molecular Biology
- Masters of Science: Biomedical Diagnostics
Veterinary Experience:
- Veterinary Assistant (Mixed Animal Practice): 484 hours
- Veterinary Assistant (Small Animal and Exotics): 5600 hours (spread through 3 clinics)
Animal Experience:
- 6 years of 4H
- About 600 hours of pet sitting
Research Experience:
- Assisted BioAro with creating a market entry strategy for their novel diagnostic BioSport as part of masters program.
Volunteer
- Snow Plow Operator: voluntarily cleared the snow from driveways and roads in my neighborhood during winter breaks in college
- Volunteer Coach: helped the next generation of athletes in my community during winter and summer breaks