what up the all these persian pre-meds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkTooMuch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
seriously, why do they act like their **** dont stink? "Oh Im shadowing the chief surgeon cause hes my dads buddy" "Oh im gonna retake the course cause an A- is worse than AIDS. This one guy told me he already has a seat cause his dads is in the Persian mafia I laughed but he got serious and looked at me weird.

ok not all of them but it seems much more than other groups.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you dropped the "Persian" part, I would almost agree with you

well i take it none of you who posted go to UCLA? its different.

This is what I wanna know - Why are there so many white pre-meds?
I mean don't us white people have other white people things to do? I mean really.

Instead, white people should be: camping, doing yoga, getting tattoos in japanese or chinese lettering, being "green", wearing sweaters, and arguing about politics.

This is what I wanna know - Why are there so many white pre-meds?
I mean don't us white people have other white people things to do? I mean really.

Instead, white people should be: camping, doing yoga, getting tattoos in japanese or chinese lettering, being "green", wearing sweaters, and arguing about politics.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

Sounds like a lot of doctors I know.

Persian premeds can do wall climbing and fight with a dagger just like from the game, Prince of Persia.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRyL3bdCcxk[/YOUTUBE]

fresh_prince_of_persia.jpg

just had to post this, even though it has little relevance to the OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they (Persians) have been called Iranians since the 1930s..:idea::idea:

this thread is worse than aids.

being iranian myself, i can sympathize with your plight. however, instead of whining, why don't you worry about yourself, and preferably stop posting on the internet.

Actually my best friend from high school is Persian, and he's always referred to himself as such. Currently both are acceptable, though Persian is a more general term that refers to some of the people of Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, and some other areas where the Persian language is or has been spoken. Iranian refers to nationality, Persian more to ethnicity... or at least that's how it was explained to me, I could be wrong.

Actually my best friend from high school is Persian, and he's always referred to himself as such. Currently both are acceptable, though Persian is a more general term that refers to some of the people of Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, and some other areas where the Persian language is or has been spoken. Iranian refers to nationality, Persian more to ethnicity... or at least that's how it was explained to me, I could be wrong.

This reminds of a Persian/Iranian comedian who says, "I was Iranian before 9/11. Now I'm Persian."

i disagree. i don't refer to people not from Iran as Persian, and i am "persian" myself. People from afghanistan are afghani. please don't post misinformation on the internets, thanks.

please close this thread.

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!
300-movie-400a0309.jpg

A lot of Iranians/Persians living in the US who escaped the Islamic Revolution in 1979 prefer to be called Persians so it really depends on who you're talking to (similar to Burmese people demanding to be called Burmese since they're so against the dictatorship ruling Myanmar).

i disagree. i don't refer to people not from Iran as Persian, and i am "persian" myself. People from afghanistan are afghani. please don't post misinformation on the internets, thanks.

please close this thread.

... I wouldn't say I'm posting misinformation, perhaps you disagree, but that's what I was told... wikipedia seems to agree with me as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_people

While a categorization of a 'Persian' ethnic group persists in the West, Persians have generally been a pan-national group often comprising regional peoples who rarely refer to themselves as 'Persians' and sometimes use the term 'Iranian' instead.
full disclosure, the article is disputed, but I don't know what's disputed about it

... I wouldn't say I'm posting misinformation, perhaps you disagree, but that's what I was told... wikipedia seems to agree with me as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_people

full disclosure, the article is disputed, but I don't know what's disputed about it

in practice, i have not heard any iranian person refer to someone from the surrounding regions with similar dialects as persian. my parents, who lived in Iran agree that people from kazakhstan and afghanistan are not truly classified as persian.

furthermore, that quote is wrong. it says persians tend to call themselves iranians, which is true. but if someone who is from afghanistan is considered persian (per your wikipedia citation), they don't call themselves iranian.

It is exactly what i was thinking about :thumbup: Guess they call themselves Persian just because it sounds fancier than Iranian.

P.S. whoever made this thread , do not judge by race ;)

This should clear it up.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GudEhGJqAwM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

in practice, i have not heard any iranian person refer to someone from the surrounding regions with similar dialects as persian. my parents, who lived in Iran agree that people from kazakhstan and afghanistan are not truly classified as persian.

furthermore, that quote is wrong. it says persians tend to call themselves iranians, which is true. but if someone who is from afghanistan is considered persian (per your wikipedia citation), they don't call themselves iranian.

The part of the quote that I was looking at was "pan-nationalism", meaning essentially it's a group spread over several states, though I will agree that it is rather rare (I've never heard it, honestly) to hear someone from Afghanistan, etc. to say they are Persian.

But let's stop arguing and get this thread back on topic: OP's a troll, and not a very good one at that. I think we can all agree on that?

The part of the quote that I was looking at was "pan-nationalism", meaning essentially it's a group spread over several states, though I will agree that it is rather rare (I've never heard it, honestly) to hear someone from Afghanistan, etc. to say they are Persian.

But let's stop arguing and get this thread back on topic: OP's a troll, and not a very good one at that. I think we can all agree on that?

yeah theres something i can't dispute.

i didn't mean to be difficult, i just wanted to clarify what iranian people consider persian. i don't think persian is as encompassing of a term as hispanic, for instance.

i didn't mean to be difficult, i just wanted to clarify what iranian people consider persian. i don't think persian is as encompassing of a term as hispanic, for instance.

I'll defer to you, I'm no expert on the subject, you're probably right. Now, hopefully this thread will die like we should have let it long ago

Kuhdoom madrese shoma hastee?

persian does sound fancier than iranian, and is easy to the tongue too...

plus who want to be associated w/ Iraq, especially here in the US where people dont know **** abt geography.. they'll be like " Iraq does in fact sound like Iran.. they must be the same thing... oh.. terrorist!!!!" lol

OK, I feel the need to clarify.

The country known as Iran was historically called Persia. The country was renamed Iran in the 1930s. Iran means 'Land of the Aryans'. This fit in with the desire of the Shah to link Iran with Western culture and move away from Arab and Islamic influences. So, the country is Iran, but outside of a political context, Persian and Iranian are completely interchangeable.

With that out of the way, a bunch of people close to the Shah fled Iran after the Islamic revolution and moved to the LA area. Therefore, they have both a sense of superiority and victimization (a rare combo) and are a royal pain to deal with, pre-med or not, but are not representative of Persians generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.