UCLA/UCSD Online Extension for almost ALL pre-reqs? Or CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twixmoments

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am currently working a full-time job out of a city in California. Unfortunately after some thorough research many of the state universities here either don't have classes available for non-degree seeking students, or don't have evening / weekend classes that work with a FT schedule. Community College has a little bit more flexibility here. UCSD extension (somewhat nearby) online offers online coursework unfortunately.

I was thinking about taking UCSD/LA extension courses, most likely the online version of each depending on which professor has the best reviews. From what I understand there is no indication for any of these courses that they are online. The course number and everything are literally identical. Of course if it came up on interview I would just state that they were online, but it might not even come up? I suppose another obstacle could be getting a LoR from an online professor. I understand that online courses are generally not treated as ideal, but if I theoretically get a 4.0 and killer MCAT, it shouldn't really be that big of an issue, right?

Reading online, there seems to be several people who have gotten acceptances through this process - if anyone read this has, what did you do for LORs?

If possible, it would be great to do this and not have to move away from my entire support system.. I would have no problem moving for a structured post-bacc program with a community but moving on my own without knowing anyone there just sounds incredibly isolating... My focus is on my coursework but it would be nice to have some semblance of social life while I am there. I guess worst case I guess I could just move or drive 5 hours round trip every weekend?

Would an adcom prefer community college courses or a online courses from an extension school (that aren't indicated as online on the transcript).

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

in the same boat, will be taking UCLA extension remote courses. As you stated it doesnt show online in the transcripts. UCLA extension over CC personally to me. I am trying to find some courses in the extension where i can get easy As. Do you have any idea there ?

If you are doing the pre-reqs, do them at the CC so that you can do in-person labs. They will likely be much cheaper as well. You can always take a few upper division courses from UC Extension later.

Reactions: 1 user