What vet journals do you read?

Started by sumstorm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I don't really read whole journals so much as just keeping up with literature related to my own field of vet med through some saved searches and filters on the NCBI website, though I do check out JAVMA every so often.
 
I don't really read whole journals so much as just keeping up with literature related to my own field of vet med through some saved searches and filters on the NCBI website, though I do check out JAVMA every so often.


This for me too! At work, we have a main man in Austin whose job is to constantly (and I mean almost every day) do lit reviews and send us out any zoonotic or wildlife disease article that comes out, I have enough time keeping up with that.

Other than that, I do religiously read Emerging Infectious Diseases (not really vet related per se, but they have tons of articles on zoonotics) and I brows JAVMA in my bosses inbox.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery

I often find things I'm interested in but I don't read entirely:
JAVMA

I like to scan Science Direct and the Wiley Interscience databases for keywords I'm interested in see what new articles come up as well.

I also like to read the WSAVA conference proceedings from their website.
 
Anything I can get my hands on at work. My particular interests are feline medicine and emergency and critical care. My favorite cases are the critical internal medicine patients, but I always have my "flavor of the week" too - something I'm particularly interested in at the moment because of a recent case at work.

So yeah, I read a lot. I'm lucky that we have a pretty good library at work.
 
i pull the trade magazines out of recycling at my small-animal clinic, so usually DVM, Vet. Practice News, Vet. Economics, JAVMA, CE. i love reading them; i've learned so much about the field.

i like reading about the business aspect of vet med b/c i know so little about it, but it definitely makes me uncomfortable. like there's this one column called "practice for profit" that always makes me cringe a bit (set up in an affluent area! spoil the wealthiest 10% of clients who provide 80% of your revenue! reduce employee discounts! raise average transaction fee! and so on and so on). maybe it's all true and essential for the survival of the profession, but... i don't like it.

i also think that some of the staff writers and the vets who write letters to the editor speak condescendingly about office staff (e.g., in my clinic, all cell phones go in a locked drawer in my desk, and i only let them access them during lunch break!).

anyone else notice these things?