What Vet schools should I apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tcat21

Reaction score
I'm not sure on what vet schools to apply to based on my academics. I'm from New Jersey so I do not have a in state school. My cum gpa for undergrad was a 3.08. I'm in gradschool now for epidemiology and my gpa is a 3.9, I know they look at the last 45 credits but I'm not sure how much this will help. I'm still taking some pre reqs like bio chem, medical term and public speaking this summer. The only class I haven't taken was animal nutrition and I'm not sure if Iam or not.

I'm going to re-take my GRE because my score was close to 300 but not there yet.

I have shadowed 2 veterinarians totaling about 250 hours so far but I'm still shadowing so it will be increasing. I have volunteer with many different rescues totaling over 2,000 hours. I have also done research my last year of undergrad. I have many more experiences I just listed the important ones.

Any recommendations on what schools I should would be really helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine this will get moved to the WAMC sub-forum.

WAMC threads follow the following basic layout, plus what ever things you want to add as background info or specific questions you have. Could you break down your stats/info you have? Like, you say you have 2,000 hours working in rescues, but is it 50 hours with horses, 1950 with cows? Same with your vet experience, etc. We can give you better advice the more detail we have!

Schools I want to apply to:

Degrees:

cGPA:
Science GPA:
Last 45 GPA:

GRE:

Vet Experiences:

Animal Experiences:

Honors/Awards:

Letters of recommendation:

Background info:

Questions

Members don't see this ad :)
What is WAMC?

I worked with 3 different cats rescues. I did tnr for them and fostered cats. For one of the rescues I was the foster coordinator. 1 rescue I volunteer for 2 in and half years with . The other 2 rescues, I volunteer with off and on for 3 years now.

Schools I want to apply to: I'm not sure about what others to apply to based on my stats. I want to apply to more, to better my chances.
  • Tuskegee University
  • Virginia / Maryland Regional College
  • Ohio State University
  • Michigan State University
  • Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine
  • St. George’s University
  • Lincoln Memorial University

Degrees: B.S in Neuroscience

cGPA: 3.08
Science GPA: not sure but its not high
Last 45 GPA: 3.9

GRE: Retaking

Vet Experiences: Shadow 2 vets. One owns his own small animal practice. I have done 156 hours there but I'm still working there currently. The other vet she practice holistic style and went to the homes of the patients and I did 72 hours with her.

Animal Experiences: Worked with 3 cat rescues

Honors/Awards: Distinction in Neuroscience

Letters of recommendation: 5. 2 from Veterinarians, 2 from teachers and 1 from my current job

Background info: I'm not sure on what vet schools to apply to based on my academics. I'm from New Jersey, I graduated with a degree in neuroscience last year. Now I'm enrolled in a Masters program for epidemiology while I'm still taking pre reqs. I should be done by fall 2020. I know they look at the last 45 credits but I'm not sure how much this will help. I'm still taking some pre reqs like bio chem, medical term and public speaking this summer. The only class I haven't taken was animal nutrition and I'm not sure if Iam or not. I did research in my last year of undergrad non animal related.

Questions
[/QUOTE]

VMCVM seems to like non-traditional people. I was accepted as a non-resident with a 3.06 cumulative and 4.0 last 45 GPA :D

(Also LSU, LMU, KSU, UMN, Penn, Mississippi State, Michigan State, Tufts, and Purdue)

Reactions: 1 users
Aww Congrats to you!
The schools you listed in () are they the ones I should also look at and think about applying to?

VMCVM seems to like non-traditional people. I was accepted as a non-resident with a 3.06 cumulative and 4.0 last 45 GPA :D

(Also LSU, LMU, KSU, UMN, Penn, Mississippi State, Michigan State, Tufts, and Purdue)
Was the last 45 you retaking classes? masters? upper level? Also where did you take the courses because I'm looking at taking classes at Doane Uni

Was the last 45 you retaking classes? masters? upper level? Also where did you take the courses because I'm looking at taking classes at Doane Uni
My only repeats were gen chem and physics because they expired. The rest of my last 45 were undergrad bio prereqs and other upper level bio electives. I took them in person at a tiny school in Georgia called the College of Coastal Georgia.

WCVM is worth looking into, particularly if you had an early year that really dragged down your cGPA:

“The Admissions Committee will consider removing one or two earlier years of university grades from an applicant’s overall average calculation at the point of completing 5 or 6 full years of university, respectively. The number of credits required to be considered a 5-year student is 150 credits (50 one-term courses) - 180 credits (60 one-term courses) to be considered a 6-year student. Removal of an earlier year (or two) is not automatic, as the Committee requires specific criteria to be met – generally speaking, this includes completing three higher, more current years of university with sustained improved academic performance. More current/higher years should be full (30 credits within the Sept-Apr year) and consist predominantly of upper-level courses. Applicants hoping to have earlier year(s) removed should contact the Admissions Office for approval of courses prior to enrollment.” https://admissions.usask.ca/documents/brochures/vetmed-inter-manual.pdf

Reactions: 1 user