Should I apply to these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natalie22

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding my application. I have been solidifying what schools to apply to in order to give myself the best chance but also taking into consideration that a program has pocket pet/small reptile/exotics electives or rotations since that is what I'm interested in. Schools: Kansas State, UGA, Ohio State, Oregon State, Louisiana State, UPEI-AVC, University of Illinois and Virginia Maryland (possibly Purdue and Mississippi). Do I stand a chance at these schools as an OOS student? Are there any other schools you recommend I apply to or not apply to? Even if I get straight A’s this semester, my GPA is hardly going to budge so this is essentially what I’m looking at.

3.67 cum GPA
Small animal experience: 1000+
GP with pocket pets and exotics: 1500+
Research: 100 hours working with oysters
Equine and mixed animal: 100 hours
Volunteer teaching Ukrainian students English: 50 hours
Foster ambassador for an humane society: 50+ hours

Extracurriculars:
Pre-vet club event coordinator and VP
Marketing manager for a non-profit for two years: 300+ hours
Intramural pickleball for 3 semesters
Currently writing a novel!

I also was part of a program at my university that included a capstone project and presenting the research we conducted over the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off, do you have an IS school? Usually that is where you have the most seats available/best odds.

3.67 cum gpa is good. Depending on the school, they will also consider your overall science gpa or their specific science pre-req's (UGA for instance). Most schools also look at your last 45 hours gpa. This is where making all A's this semester will pay off for you.

Hopefully others that have the same specific interests will chime in. But generally speaking most schools are going to have a limited number of specialty electives in any given area. It will be up to you to make your opportunities with clubs and scheduling summer opportunities and externships during your clinical time. I'd focus on minimizing overall debt because that will give you more flexibility with career choices.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on your experiences and GPA, I would definitely recommend you look into applying to Auburn. They have their admissions set up with a huge focus on veterinary experiences only for all applicants. Since it looks like a lot of your hours are with a veterinarian, might be a good idea to look into it. Auburn also has the Southeastern Raptor Center where students can do one of their clinical rotations at. There is also a exotic rotation too! DM me if you have any questions (current Auburn undergrad and accepted into 2028 Vet Class)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First off, do you have an IS school? Usually that is where you have the most seats available/best odds.

3.67 cum gpa is good. Depending on the school, they will also consider your overall science gpa or their specific science pre-req's (UGA for instance). Most schools also look at your last 45 hours gpa. This is where making all A's this semester will pay off for you.

Hopefully others that have the same specific interests will chime in. But generally speaking most schools are going to have a limited number of specialty electives in any given area. It will be up to you to make your opportunities with clubs and scheduling summer opportunities and externships during your clinical time. I'd focus on minimizing overall debt because that will give you more flexibility with career choices.
I do have an in-state school and I‘ve been hesitant to apply there. I’m in Florida so my in-state is UF. I’ve heard that they are very GPA heavy and my partner of 4.5 years will be coming with me and Gainesville is such a large college town that it will be difficult for him to find jobs in the IT field there. The cost of living in gainesville is also pretty high compared to other cities I’ve looked at that have vet schools. But they are about 70k cheaper than any OOS school so I may end up applying there after all because all of the advice I’ve been hearing recently is “go where it’s cheapest.”

According to VIN your COA would be:
UF $198k
Purdue $246k
UPEI $262k
Mississippi $276k
Ohio State $278k
Oregon State $286k
UGA $288k
Illinois $297k
Kansas State $302k
Virginia Maryland $302k
LSU $335k

Most vet schools are in "college towns", so your partner will need to do research to figure out which ones are in large enough or the right type of markets for him to find work. Also look into specifics on UPEI as a current applicant was running into issues with no work permits being issued for significant others.

I'd apply to UF. Your cum gpa is very close to their average. Who knows how much their averages are skewed by OOS, which is generally higher than IS for most schools? Definitely in the camp of go where it's the cheapest!

Best of luck to you!

I do have an in-state school and I‘ve been hesitant to apply there. I’m in Florida so my in-state is UF. I’ve heard that they are very GPA heavy and my partner of 4.5 years will be coming with me and Gainesville is such a large college town that it will be difficult for him to find jobs in the IT field there. The cost of living in gainesville is also pretty high compared to other cities I’ve looked at that have vet schools. But they are about 70k cheaper than any OOS school so I may end up applying there after all because all of the advice I’ve been hearing recently is “go where it’s cheapest.”
I got into UF this cycle in state w a similar overall gpa (3.63)

Reactions: 1 user
According to VIN your COA would be:
UF $198k
Purdue $246k
UPEI $262k
Mississippi $276k
Ohio State $278k
Oregon State $286k
UGA $288k
Illinois $297k
Kansas State $302k
Virginia Maryland $302k
LSU $335k

Most vet schools are in "college towns", so your partner will need to do research to figure out which ones are in large enough or the right type of markets for him to find work. Also look into specifics on UPEI as a current applicant was running into issues with no work permits being issued for significant others.

I'd apply to UF. Your cum gpa is very close to their average. Who knows how much their averages are skewed by OOS, which is generally higher than IS for most schools? Definitely in the camp of go where it's the cheapest!

Best of luck to you!
I've been mostly basing how much I will need to take out in loans solely on tuition since I have a small savings account and my partner will be covering the rest of living expenses during vet school, and I'll be doing the same while he purses a masters degree later on. So for me, what is cheapest is essentially what has the lowest tuition over four years. Good to know about UPEI though. And I think after making this post, I will be adding Purdue, Auburn and UF and possibly removing UPEI, Tennessee and LSU. Thank you!!

• Love