What volunteer work do you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spacecowgirl

in the bee-loud glade
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know we're all an altruistic bunch, so tell me - where do you volunteer? Especially those of you in pharm school already, it might give some pre-pharms some good ideas 🙂


I volunteer through ASP at a free med clinic and did immunizations this year.

I also volunteer at a wildlife center that rehabilitates injured and orphaned animals (obviously not part of pharmacy school - although we do administer the occasional bird or small mammal pharmaceutical!).
 
spacecowgirl said:
I know we're all an altruistic bunch, so tell me - where do you volunteer? Especially those of you in pharm school already, it might give some pre-pharms some good ideas 🙂


I volunteer through ASP at a free med clinic and did immunizations this year.

I also volunteer at a wildlife center that rehabilitates injured and orphaned animals (obviously not part of pharmacy school - although we do administer the occasional bird or small mammal pharmaceutical!).

I'm a volunteer at the local humane society, although I haven't actually volunteered in quite some time. I'm still registered as one, and this summer I will be spending more time there.

Also, I was a chatroom host online for almost a year.

I volunteered one day at the free clinic here in town, and man, was it scary! I just felt very uncomfortable there, and after my 3 hours were up, I left and never went back. :scared:
 
I volunteered a lot in undergrad with different organizations such as big brothers big sisters, clothing banks, etc.

In pharmacy school I am an officer in many organizations and that is where my community service comes in.
I don't do any volunteering on my own anymore. There is simply not enough time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Every year I do a bunch of random volunteering work (usually a once or twice-a-year thing)-- sorting out donations at Goodwill and at food banks, removing invasing plants at parks, community clean-ups, etc etc.

On a normal basis, however, I volunteer at an outpatient pharmacy at a hospital and also as a patient-transporter at another hospital. 🙂
 
I'm a pre-pharmacy major.. but I've done a lot of volunteer work at nursing homes, elderly events *like ice cream socials, etc*, within the church.. and the big booster.. EMT for an ambulance! If you don't have time to volunteer to an ambulance because of the load, stress, children, etc. I recommend volunteering with an EMT/EMS to help with bookwork and even driving.. If anyone lives in the Peoria, IL area.. I would be honored to help you get a volunteering job with my local ambulance. We are in need of more helpers...
 
I have volunteered with Literacy Volunteers (teaching adults to read) and with County Health Department giving free immunizations to children. Both experiences were with the county. I have a friend who is bilingual who received $10 gift certificates to a grocery store for her time helping with the immunizations. It was still considered "volunteering" because there was no cash compensation. Score!
 
I noticed that a lot of you have volunteering experience other than traditional pharmacy stuff... Do pharm schools want you to have a lot of pharmacy volunteering experience, or just a lot of volunteering in general? What is the typical amount of pharmacy exposure most people have before applying to pharm school?
 
LabBrat04 said:
I noticed that a lot of you have volunteering experience other than traditional pharmacy stuff... Do pharm schools want you to have a lot of pharmacy volunteering experience, or just a lot of volunteering in general? What is the typical amount of pharmacy exposure most people have before applying to pharm school?

I have no doubt that volunteer work of any type looks good on a resume, however, I would hope you volunteer because you want to, not just to look good on paper 😉 Some schools look solely at GPA and PCAT, some don't. I volunteer because it feels good to do something good.
 
LabBrat04 said:
I noticed that a lot of you have volunteering experience other than traditional pharmacy stuff... Do pharm schools want you to have a lot of pharmacy volunteering experience, or just a lot of volunteering in general? What is the typical amount of pharmacy exposure most people have before applying to pharm school?

I would hope that any volunteer work is acceptable. I volunteer in areas other than pharmacy, because I'm already a pharmacy tech full-time with many years of experience in many fields of pharmacy. For me, I think it would be a bit redundant if I were to volunteer in a pharmacy. 🙂
 
I was just asking because I love volunteering in the Pediatric ward 😍 I really like volunteering, but unfortunately I have more non-pharm volunteering than pharm-related experience... guess that's something I can work on over the summer...
 
LabBrat - I think that sounds like great volunteer experience! Good for you 🙂 Do what you love, like I said. Pharmacy work experience is helpful if you can do that, even if it's shadowing someone for a few weeks.
 
FutureRxGal said:
I volunteered one day at the free clinic here in town, and man, was it scary! I just felt very uncomfortable there, and after my 3 hours were up, I left and never went back. :scared:

:laugh: I also volunteer at a free clinic. My second time there, the director looked at me in surprise and said "You came back!" I've been going there for over a year, and I'll really miss it when I leave soon. 🙁

here's what I do:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=99905
 
I volunteered 2-3x a week for four years at a center, distributing food and clothing to non-english-speaking mexican (during the week) and asian (during the weekend) immigrant families. Also did a bunch of other community service events but this was the one thing I did consistently for a long period of time.