What was the first thing you immediately did after receiving your very first interview invite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayjaystudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of course, this only applies to those who've gotten invites.

EDIT: Do elaborate on how you did it!

Members don't see this ad.

Scheduled it. Didn’t want to miss out on the best dates.

Then I told my husband and he was like “Ehhh, I knew you’d get a few of these.” Nobody was excited but me.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quietly threw my arms in the air and shouted "fark yeah!" ( I was in lab). Scheduled the date, then texted my wife.

Called my parents, then immediately made the plans. Such an amazing feeling!

Reactions: 1 users
I've gotten every invite at work. For the first one I called my girlfriend, texted everyone in my family, told my coworkers, hyperventilated, aka made a scene. At this point, I keep them on the DL and subtly slide the Google Calender notification that I will be interviewing on this date to my boss to avoid attention haha. I haven't told my family about one of them and I'm going to surprise them with a snapchat filter of St. Louis.

Reactions: 2 users
I was at work filling out secondaries on break and got the e-mail, so I told my co-worker then sat their smiling for the rest of the night.

It's weird but it all became very real once that happened! It's the first confirmation that you aren't just sending these secondaries off into the great void and finally see some payoff. Exciting times :)

Reactions: 5 users
I was at work. Quickly took a break and called my wife, my father-in-law, and my mom, and then told anyone that would listen. It's so great :)

This is like a low-octane version of the "how did you react when you got accepted" thread.

Reactions: 7 users
Found out during happy hour so I ordered a COUPLE shots :dead::D

Members don't see this ad :)
I was on the toilet.
Taking a s*** has never felt so good

Neither my parents nor my boyfriend answered my phone call! I felt like I was gonna explode, so I went to the accounting department and got them to jump up and down with me lol

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Neither my parents nor my boyfriend answered my phone call! I felt like I was gonna explode, so I went to the accounting department and got them to jump up and down with me lol
For some reason, picturing a med school applicant and a bunch of accountants jumping up and down gave me the giggles.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
For some reason, picturing a med school applicant and a bunch of accountants jumping up and down gave me the giggles.

I pictured Ben Wyatt’s accounting group from Parks and Rec:

36BC3253-17F1-41DE-BC94-1C75683DC60F.gif

Was by the copy machine, let out a very loud gasp to which someone asked "is everything okay?". I said yep and ran into an exam room to have a hyperventilating session.
Called my sister, she didn't pick up so I texted "omg call me!!"
It was great.

My phone dinged and I looked down and saw “Congratulations! The University of....” but then the banner didn’t say much else but the subject line was Interview invite. I whispered to myself “Sweet! We are early!” Then I went about doing what I was doing cus I was at work...Got home and told my wife and she said “Sweet! Just tell me when you schedule it so I can put it in my planner.”

Was a very unenthusiastic reaction lol Happiness did not call for excitation. Been that way with all the invites...

Reactions: 1 user
Tbh I just saw the email, thought "cool don't screw this up", then I finished another secondary.

I was so excited that I felt my body start to move of its own accord, gearing up for a backflip and had to stop and tell myself "dude you have no clue how to do a backflip"

• Haha

Lol they really didn’t understand how big of a deal it was, but they were just happy for me

Scheduled it. Didn’t want to miss out on the best dates.

Then I told my husband and he was like “Ehhh, I knew you’d get a few of these.” Nobody was excited but me.

If it makes you feel better:

I'm from a low-SES background where not many people go to college, so no one really understands how long/hard the med admissions process is or that it's competitive. So when I called my dad to tell him I got in his response was "Cool". When I later told him I got into my top choice (T20 school) his response was "Excellent".

He was obviously very excited, but it's hard for people outside of the process to really understand how difficult it is. Similarly to actually going through med school.

Congrats!

I forced my girlfriend to read the email and forgot about dinner so it burned

Reactions: 3 users
I screamed lol. Lost my voice. Always vomited due to all the screaming lol. Then told my mom and dad with what little voice I had and then scheduled immediately. Was so hyped lol

• Haha
I cried and thought about my sister Prim. She died trying to provide medical care to the children of the capital; she would have made a great doctor. I thought about how proud she would have been to know that I might be going to medical school.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Haha
Found out at work. Texted only my parents. Was happy for about a day then realized it means nothing without the A. The validation feels good to think about though.