Is it bad to not have shadowing your first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiavoloAlighieri

Jus bëtter
Reaction score
Noob question here but I'm finishing up my first year of undergrad and I realized I do not have any proper shadowing experience with a physician. The most I did was watch an immunologist work in the lab, but I think most of my peers have done that in high school so I'm behind.

Members don't see this ad.

Noob question here but I'm finishing up my first year of undergrad and I realized I do not have any proper shadowing experience with a physician. The most I did was watch an immunologist work in the lab, but I think most of my peers have done that in high school so I'm behind.
You have two more years to address this deficiency. Get it done.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's normal.

My first shadowing experience was during my second-year, during the spring semester with a primary care physician. I wasn't even looking into shadowing my first-year, just trying to get used to the curriculum and all the EC's that I wanted to be a part of since university was so different from high school.

Reactions: 1 user
not a problem. If you apply without it or any other clinical exposure, it's a problem.

Well, if you're applying this summer as a college freshman, then yeah, no coming back from this egregious mistake.

The good news is that you obviously aren't doing that so you have at least two years to address the various things you need to do for a medical school application. My advice- completely ignore whatever/whenever your peers do things. You aren't running a race against them. You're running a marathon on your own and racing against your own personal best time.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope