What was your experience..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What was your experience in these classes, General Chem I and General Chem II, I have taken the first part and I will take the second part this upcoming school semester, is it easier or harder with respect to the previous one. Your sagely advice is always appreciated guys :p

Members don't see this ad.

dapmp91 said:
What was your experience in these classes, General Chem I and General Chem II, I have taken the first part and I will take the second part this upcoming school semester, is it easier or harder with respect to the previous one. Your sagely advice is always appreciated guys :p

got the same grade with equal amount of effort. i don't remember the difference in actual content at all though. just keep doing whatever you did for chem I and it should be fine :thumbup:

I don't really recall the difference in content either, but one semester wasn't really more difficult than the other. General chem in general is far less interesting than organic, though, so get this out of the way and then you can do the cool stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chem I was concepts, Chem II was mostly all calculations. But the above posters are right, I put the exact same amount of effort in both and made an A in both.

I put more effort into Gen Chem II, but that's because I knew basically everything in Gen Chem I, since it was basically a repeat of high school chemistry. I don't think either one was particularly hard, though... Just keep up the same study skills you had before, maybe intensify them a little, and you should be fine.

Chem II is equilibrium constants ad nauseum. It's about the same as the second half of Chem I, which makes it a little harder in my opinion because you don't have all the intro-to intro type questions that you have in the first part of Chem 1. Same with O.Chem, I would consider II to be harder just because you hit the ground with your feet running and don't have all the chapters of intro fluff to start with.

Well, OP, I got an A-, a B+ and then a B.

But this was my FIRST year at college, so take it for what you will. I got A's in the accompanying labs. I wish I had taken AP Chem in High School. I think I got lost the third quarter in gen chem. I also wasn't clear how to study appropriately. All of my classes that third quarter were harder, because they were in a series (A, B, C on fall, winter, spring).

jackieMD2007 said:
Well, OP, I got an A-, a B+ and then a B.

But this was my FIRST year at college, so take it for what you will. I got A's in the accompanying labs. I wish I had taken AP Chem in High School. I think I got lost the third quarter in gen chem. I also wasn't clear how to study appropriately. All of my classes that third quarter were harder, because they were in a series (A, B, C on fall, winter, spring).

Yeah I did pretty well in chem but I agree that AP chem would have made things a whole lot easier. I definitely noticed a big difference performance wise between the classes where I had to compete against AP'ers and upper divs with a more level playing field. Anyone who says AP's don't help in the intro classes is full of it.

For Gen.Chem II, remember Le Chatelier's Principle applies to EVERYTHING. ;)

When I was reviewing gen chem for the MCAT, I was like, THIS?! THIS is what they wanted me to UNDERSTAND?! For the LOVE OF GOD why didn't someone just SAY SO!?

:laugh:

jackieMD2007 said:
When I was reviewing gen chem for the MCAT, I was like, THIS?! THIS is what they wanted me to UNDERSTAND?! For the LOVE OF GOD why didn't someone just SAY SO!?

:laugh:

Yeah, I couldn't believe how much I learned that never clicked in previous classes studying for the MCAT!