Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not really talking about "difficult" customers that give you a hard time for doing your job. I'm talking more about what was the hardest patient that you had to manage therapy for? Retail or otherwise. What made them so hard?
Did they have a weird dosage of a medicine from a doctor you had to question/research, or were they on some kind of wild therapy with different drugs, or did they have some kind of disease or condition that made treatment tricky (transplant or HIV patient, pediatrics, etc.)? Maybe it was in the ER and there was little time and the drug of choice would make their situation worse?
I am just trying to get an understanding on what the hard patients could be like in a variety of settings. We all hear about the patient who was on coumadin with different NSAIDs or duplications of therapy and things of that nature but we never hear about the ones that make you flex some old muscles from school.
C'mon, this is the time to shine here. People always say pharmacists are pill pushers, why not put a thread out there that tells you what you're really paid to do (script count jokes aside).
Here is one I heard:
My pharmacist told me a little bit about a patient who got a heart transplant and also had HIV, insulin-mediated diabetes, and was on coumadin 😱. I didn't even know a patient could be on all those drugs safely but I guess he had no other alternative. He said there were some issues with doing a therapy that didn't interfere with all the drugs he was on or aggravate one of the conditions. I never got the details on the therapy though or the outcome.
Any others?
This is what happens when I have an organic assignment due the next morning...
Did they have a weird dosage of a medicine from a doctor you had to question/research, or were they on some kind of wild therapy with different drugs, or did they have some kind of disease or condition that made treatment tricky (transplant or HIV patient, pediatrics, etc.)? Maybe it was in the ER and there was little time and the drug of choice would make their situation worse?
I am just trying to get an understanding on what the hard patients could be like in a variety of settings. We all hear about the patient who was on coumadin with different NSAIDs or duplications of therapy and things of that nature but we never hear about the ones that make you flex some old muscles from school.
C'mon, this is the time to shine here. People always say pharmacists are pill pushers, why not put a thread out there that tells you what you're really paid to do (script count jokes aside).
Here is one I heard:
My pharmacist told me a little bit about a patient who got a heart transplant and also had HIV, insulin-mediated diabetes, and was on coumadin 😱. I didn't even know a patient could be on all those drugs safely but I guess he had no other alternative. He said there were some issues with doing a therapy that didn't interfere with all the drugs he was on or aggravate one of the conditions. I never got the details on the therapy though or the outcome.
Any others?
This is what happens when I have an organic assignment due the next morning...