What was your most challenging semester as a pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My toughest semester was probably the second semester of my sophomore year. 18 hours (incl. Hon. Orgo II, Hon. Physics II, Genetics) + Research + Work = Almost no sleep. I felt like the money I was generating from work was all being used up for buying coffee

Members don't see this ad.

My toughest semester was probably the second semester of my sophomore year. 18 hours (incl. Hon. Orgo II, Hon. Physics II, Genetics) + Research + Work = Almost no sleep. I felt like the money I was generating from work was all being used up for buying coffee

i know exactly what that feels like lol.

What semester did you feel the most strain in terms of prereqs, difficulty of classes, EC's, social life, etc? How was the outcome, and how well did you cope? Just curious to see how everyone's rough patches in their journeys differ!

Mine was likely first semester, with Bio, Chem, Calc, and Writing. I was also actively involved in several pre-health organizations trying to figure out what career path to take. Looking back, however, this definitely should have been my easiest- it was probably due to lack of prepartion of what college had in store for me compared to breezing through high school, and the stress of not knowing what I wanted to do with my life.

Keep Truckin' :luck:

Sophomore year, spring quarter, I had 21 credit hours. I was taking OChem 3, OChem Lab, Latin 3, Cell Bio, plus some other chemistry, biology, and a psychology classes and research. If that wasn't enough stress, my father passed 3 weeks into the quarter. I took a week off, but still finished my work and I think I got a 3.6 that quarter. I think he would have been proud.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking physics I/II over the summer following first year... As a result, when I was taking ochem, it didn't feel too bad in comparison, almost quite enjoyable. :laugh:

that's exactly what i'm doing now: physics 1/2 over the summer--it's awful. I'm hoping Ochem will be a tad bit easier in the fall

2nd semester Freshman Year. 5 Labs with a courseload of 20 hours. Luckily some of the classes were just a review of AP(Chem and Calc). It was all down hill from there :cool:

2nd semester freshman year as well. 3 science classes with labs, with work and other ECs..didn't prepare myself too well :(

when i transfered into my current school, i only received a Gen Chem II credit, so for the first semester of soph year, i was taking Gen chem 1, orgo 1, and genetics...., and oh yeah, i was playing football too

Last semester. Ordinary differential equations, linear algebra, applied probability & statistics, organic chemistry 2 + lab, calculus 3 credit by examination, 1 hour round trip commute to classes 4 days a week, work all weekend. It sucked a little less when I took the calculus 3 final about 4 weeks into the semester but it was still pretty bad with all of the homework.

Last semester. Ordinary differential equations, linear algebra, applied probability & statistics, organic chemistry 2 + lab, calculus 3 credit by examination, 1 hour round trip commute to classes 4 days a week, work all weekend. It sucked a little less when I took the calculus 3 final about 4 weeks into the semester but it was still pretty bad with all of the homework.

Problem sets are a bitch, professors need to understand that not everyone requires the same amount of practice to learn a concept. Most of the classes where I've been close to getting an A- or a B have been ones where homework was weighted too heavily.

You guys are insane haha. I like Chemistry and Physics math, but stuff like Calculus or Trig, OMG. I hate it sooo much. I sat through my friends Multivar class and 10 minutes into it, I got a major headache.

So you like being given an equation and plugging numbers into it? That's not really math.

Just pretend to be one of the Asians

UAlVZ.jpg

So you like being given an equation and plugging numbers into it? That's not really math.

That's why I said I hate the "M" portion of the BCPM. Chemistry was a breeze for me. Haven't taken Physics yet, so I'm kind of dreading it.

Going back to school to take my chemistries after working in a really interesting (but ultimately not sustainable) field, to be surrounded by 18 year olds.

"Why did I decide to pursue medicine again?"

Organic Chem + Orgo chem lab
Physics + Physics lab
Molecular bio + lab
and minor inconveniences called "required courses"

The annoyance dealt with the timing. Both Orgo/Physics labs were at 8pm twice a week. Bio lab was before orgo lab.... That and the other courses made it hard to study/keep up. I was completely sleep deprived and wanted to kill everyone on the planet.