What was your personal life like during HPSP payback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

militarydentistmaybe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The HPSP seems like a no-brainer in financial terms. Without it, I'm looking at 300k from my public school. I love the idea of traveling and having no debt, because I grew up poor in a debt-strapped family and never got to travel. I think I would like working for the military, certainly it would be great to help young brave folks and the close-knit community sounds great, and I'm willing to tolerate the bureaucracy and BS for that. At the same time, I don't have a great idea of how my life will be impacted outside of dentistry.

-What did you do for fun? Could you just enjoy whatever the area had to offer or were you limited?
-How was your home life during duty stations? What about deployment? I heard about off base housing as well.
-How was your relationship affected, good and bad?
-Any thing you wish you knew before you signed?

Members don't see this ad.

The HPSP seems like a no-brainer in financial terms. Without it, I'm looking at 300k from my public school. I love the idea of traveling and having no debt, because I grew up poor in a debt-strapped family and never got to travel. I think I would like working for the military, certainly it would be great to help young brave folks and the close-knit community sounds great, and I'm willing to tolerate the bureaucracy and BS for that. At the same time, I don't have a great idea of how my life will be impacted outside of dentistry.

-What did you do for fun? Could you just enjoy whatever the area had to offer or were you limited?
-How was your home life during duty stations? What about deployment? I heard about off base housing as well.
-How was your relationship affected, good and bad?
-Any thing you wish you knew before you signed?

If you have any doubts don’t join