What was your personal life like during HPSP payback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

militarydentistmaybe

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The HPSP seems like a no-brainer in financial terms. Without it, I'm looking at 300k from my public school. I love the idea of traveling and having no debt, because I grew up poor in a debt-strapped family and never got to travel. I think I would like working for the military, certainly it would be great to help young brave folks and the close-knit community sounds great, and I'm willing to tolerate the bureaucracy and BS for that. At the same time, I don't have a great idea of how my life will be impacted outside of dentistry.

-What did you do for fun? Could you just enjoy whatever the area had to offer or were you limited?
-How was your home life during duty stations? What about deployment? I heard about off base housing as well.
-How was your relationship affected, good and bad?
-Any thing you wish you knew before you signed?
 
The HPSP seems like a no-brainer in financial terms. Without it, I'm looking at 300k from my public school. I love the idea of traveling and having no debt, because I grew up poor in a debt-strapped family and never got to travel. I think I would like working for the military, certainly it would be great to help young brave folks and the close-knit community sounds great, and I'm willing to tolerate the bureaucracy and BS for that. At the same time, I don't have a great idea of how my life will be impacted outside of dentistry.

-What did you do for fun? Could you just enjoy whatever the area had to offer or were you limited?
-How was your home life during duty stations? What about deployment? I heard about off base housing as well.
-How was your relationship affected, good and bad?
-Any thing you wish you knew before you signed?

If you have any doubts don’t join