what we should do the day before MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huseyin

ras mania
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Well for me the day before the MCAT is my sabbath, so I'll be going to synagogue and having a nice lunch, and then in the evening I'm going to get everything together that I need to take, review my flashcards with formulas, exercise and maybe watch a TV show, and then review the formulas again before going to sleep. I don't want to do too much that's not MCAT related because I need my brain to stay in MCAT mode, but I know people are different when it comes to that. In my experience, if I watched a movie or read a good book, my brain would get off of MCAT track a little bit. I'm not going to study or anything, and just review the formulas once or twice at night to make sure I've got them straight.

curious to see what others have planned

Is there anything wrong with studying? I think I'll end up spending 4-5 hours going over my notes. I know that a lot of people say that you shouldnt do this, because you realize your not as prepared as you should be and end up freaking out. I'm not the freak out type, and I think studying will help me do what gets my through just about every other test - "frontloading", or short-term memorization. If I read something the day before the test, there is very little chance that I'll forget it, and it may end up being useful on the test. Any comments on this thought? Is it just plain silly?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its your choice. If you've been studying for the past 3 months it may be to your disadvantage, but if you feel like you'd do better by doing this, go for it. I dont really want to chance any of my routine...i really think that routine is key....

However, I will be having a nice dinner the night before

SanDiegoSOD said:
Is there anything wrong with studying? I think I'll end up spending 4-5 hours going over my notes. I know that a lot of people say that you shouldnt do this, because you realize your not as prepared as you should be and end up freaking out. I'm not the freak out type, and I think studying will help me do what gets my through just about every other test - "frontloading", or short-term memorization. If I read something the day before the test, there is very little chance that I'll forget it, and it may end up being useful on the test. Any comments on this thought? Is it just plain silly?

I agree with you completely. I fully intend to study things for short-term memorization. It never fails me :D

I think the day before the test I'll primarily be reviewing physics formulas and all the hormones for bio--gotta make sure everything is fresh in my mind.

SanDiegoSOD said:

Definitely nothing wrong with it. I keep mentioning my husband but he's the closest person I know who's taken the MCAT. Anyway, he was reading from his bio review during lunch! He swears it helped him. So to each his own. I will study a little but not that much, and chill during lunch :)

Overeducated said:
I think the day before the test I'll primarily be reviewing physics formulas and all the hormones for bio--gotta make sure everything is fresh in my mind.

The exact same things I think are worth reviewing!

Light studying then watching The Big Lebowski at night!

SanDiegoSOD said:

I'll be studying as well... I won't freak out because I know, once I've closed the books Friday afternoon, that I'm as ready as I'm going to be.

I think a key factor on doing well is to maintain your composure and relax. I'm going into this one looking for a little fun. :laugh: :thumbup:

I'll be mostly relaxing....probably go for a short run. If I do any studying at all it will be little factoids (read that Physics formulas) that keep slipping out of my head at the most inopportune moments. :cool:

STUDY.

I saw down and read casually through the entire KAPLAN bible (skipping over some parts). Then, I wrote out my equations like ten times.

People who say, "just relax. Go to the sizzler" are nuts. This is a test. Would you opt not to study before a final exam? Of course not. This is the final exam of final exams. Make sure you know your equations, and keep stuff you've struggled with fresh in your mind.

You'll have plenty of time to relax on test day.

monopolova said:
STUDY.

I saw down and read casually through the entire KAPLAN bible (skipping over some parts). Then, I wrote out my equations like ten times.

People who say, "just relax. Go to the sizzler" are nuts. This is a test. Would you opt not to study before a final exam? Of course not. This is the final exam of final exams. Make sure you know your equations, and keep stuff you've struggled with fresh in your mind.

You'll have plenty of time to relax on test day.

so wat should we really do...? i planned on washing my car that day and jus chill...not even touch an mcat book...so wat should i do now? study or wash the car and chill?

I am an advocate of doing anything but studying the day prior. It was a beatiful day in Norman, so a friend and I decided to go to the driving range. It was a great way to relieve some stress and to enjoy the outdoors. I really feel like it lowered my BP and cleared my mind. Lets face it, 4 more hours of studing isnt going to mean jack. The only think it could do is stress you out and wear you down. You've spent months studying, one more night just isn't going to make a positive difference IMHO.

Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
i totally intend on reviewing and all that great stuff, but not take any practice tests-- one more day of practicing science questions isn't going to do much for me, although reviewing facts and refreshing my memory will.

one thing i refuse to do is become one of those kids on test day who review before sections, during breaks, during lunch, in the bathroom... no offense to those of you who do that, but i find it to be an exercise in futility, and you look like a dumb@$$.

• Study for a few hours during the day
  • Go for a long run
  • Have a good dinner
  • Review a bit more
  • Make sure all of my stuff is together for test day
  • Go to bed

when do u guys "plan" on going to bed. i say "plan" because i know for most of us, it will be hard to actually go to sleep...

jtank said:
when do u guys "plan" on going to bed. i say "plan" because i know for most of us, it will be hard to actually go to sleep...

10 pm ?
I'm waking up at 6. So I guess I'll go to bed around 10ish. I really need to be in that schedule now, but I slept in this morning until like 9:30 so I won't be able to fall asleep any time soon :(

jtank said:

I think I'll go to sleep at 11:00pm and wake up at 6:00am. I really don't know how to go to sleep earlier than that. However, I am planning to do some extensive physical exercise earlier in the day to hopefully wear myself out... so maybe I'll get tired earlier. We'll see.

SanDiegoSOD said:

I have to agree. Provided you have the stamina, and aren't worried about burnout, I don't think it can do anything but good to spend the week in review. I will be. I just got a pretty bad score on PT 8 PS section, and I'm actually glad in a way, because I'll review the test tommorrow. I tend to get so pissed when I miss answers that I won't make the same mistake twice.

Right now, my weakness is on some aspects of gen. chem., and I plan on going back and retaking some 'choice' passages from AAMC PT's already taken. I won't do anymore full lenths, but doing a few passages in a row, and then reviewing will help with timing as well as really driving home certain topics.

my plan: take a light skating lesson on friday, I say light because i'm not taking the chance of another concussion, but i need to see my coach to calm me down, then an aqua massage (i'm addicted to those things), drive home to see my dog, drive back to school where i'm taking the exam, and i "plan" to be asleep by 10. In bed by 9. but i usually watch tv for an hour or so before bed. and up at i guess around 6:30ish. I'll also might review my flash cards, not sure though, i seem to have memorized them more than anything.

i took the test in august and the day before the test, i worked out, went and saw a movie, had dinner with friends and watched the opening ceremony of the olympics...was in bed by 11ish and up the next morning by 6:15...i didn't do any studying on friday before the test, because I knew if I did I would start thinking about it and get myself all stressed out. but, i had made myself one page with all the physics formulas on it and so on the actual morning of the test, while waiting to go inside the room, i looked over that one page with all the formulas to make sure my memory didn't fail me.

good luck to you all!

taking a relaxant early at 7 pm to chill/knock myself out

Not necessarily in this order:

1). Going to drive some golf balls at the driving range (very relaxing)
2). Washing my car (good idea from an above poster)
3). Go catch a movie
4). Eat lotsa pasta

Good luck everyone.. just relax - it'll be over before you know it!

:luck: