What were the most helpful resources as an MS1 for each systems?

Started by Dhooy7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dhooy7

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I do best with videos and wondering if anyone has their favorite resources for each system as an MS1. I start CV (pathology, anatomy, and physiology) tomorrow. I find videos the best way for me to learn. I loved Sketchy. The more visual the better for me. If anyone has practice questions, videos, or review books they found helpful I'd greatly appreciate it, especially for CV. I'm hoping to do better in the course. Thanks!
 
I currently use BnB, Osmosis and First Aid. I remember seeing a post about specific systems and books that were helpful. I was looking for more specific resources for each course that others found helpful.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are traditional track curriculum and not a combined accelerated curriculum then your first year studying should consist of class slides. Board resources will overwhelm you. Just worry about doing well in your classes. If you don't understand a concept use youtube or boards and beyond physio to help you understand it
 
If you are traditional track curriculum and not a combined accelerated curriculum then your first year studying should consist of class slides. Board resources will overwhelm you. Just worry about doing well in your classes. If you don't understand a concept use youtube or boards and beyond physio to help you understand it
Thank you! Can you please share with us on how many practicing questions you do every day?
 
Thank you! Can you please share with us on how many practicing questions you do every day?
Im in M2 now and I do about 150-200 questions every 2 weeks (our blocks are 2 weeks long) of Robbins/Cotran, USMLE Rx and Webpath. I will be ramping these numbers up this month and as I get closer to boards. But first year I did about 100 questions every 3-4 weeks of BRS, Lippincott, Pretest.
 
Im in M2 now and I do about 150-200 questions every 2 weeks (our blocks are 2 weeks long) of Robbins/Cotran, USMLE Rx and Webpath. I will be ramping these numbers up this month and as I get closer to boards. But first year I did about 100 questions every 3-4 weeks of BRS, Lippincott, Pretest.
For cardio, is BRS physiology, Guyton, and Costanzo the best resources or do you have any others you would recommend? Thanks!
 
Im in M2 now and I do about 150-200 questions every 2 weeks (our blocks are 2 weeks long) of Robbins/Cotran, USMLE Rx and Webpath. I will be ramping these numbers up this month and as I get closer to boards. But first year I did about 100 questions every 3-4 weeks of BRS, Lippincott, Pretest.
Thank you so much! Is BRS the same as UWORL?
 
I do best with videos and wondering if anyone has their favorite resources for each system as an MS1. I start CV (pathology, anatomy, and physiology) tomorrow. I find videos the best way for me to learn. I loved Sketchy. The more visual the better for me. If anyone has practice questions, videos, or review books they found helpful I'd greatly appreciate it, especially for CV. I'm hoping to do better in the course. Thanks!

If you do best with videos, I recommend Dr Najeeb at 2 x speed plus the relevant sections of Costanzo Physiology and Robbins Pathology (which his lectures are based on).

Copy down his diagrams and then try to recreate them for yourself. Then check your understanding with USMLERx question bank -- just the cardiology questions -- and annotate as needed in First Aid.

I scored 250+ on Step 1 with a similar systems-based curriculum.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have you studied with a group Students(2-3 students) or just studied by yourself? Which way is more efficient in your opinion? thank you!
1-2 other students is my max. Also have to be very picky with who you choose or youll end up goofing off and not staying focused. Find someone that either does as well as you in school if youre a student who already gets good grades or someone who does better than you in school if youre an avg student preferrably someone who does very well in that case. i dnt like to study in groups until I have a foundation in the material otherwise its less effective in my opinion. I wouldnt start out studying in groups but it can be amazingly effective once you have a base of knowledge in the topic
 
1-2 other students is my max. Also have to be very picky with who you choose or youll end up goofing off and not staying focused. Find someone that either does as well as you in school if youre a student who already gets good grades or someone who does better than you in school if youre an avg student preferrably someone who does very well in that case. i dnt like to study in groups until I have a foundation in the material otherwise its less effective in my opinion. I wouldnt start out studying in groups but it can be amazingly effective once you have a base of knowledge in the topic
Thank you so much!
 
Thank you so much!
1-2 other students is my max. Also have to be very picky with who you choose or youll end up goofing off and not staying focused. Find someone that either does as well as you in school if youre a student who already gets good grades or someone who does better than you in school if youre an avg student preferrably someone who does very well in that case. i dnt like to study in groups until I have a foundation in the material otherwise its less effective in my opinion. I wouldnt start out studying in groups but it can be amazingly effective once you have a base of knowledge in the topic
Thank you so much! I agree with you. Research shows active learning-such as do questions is the most efficient way to study. I am starting doing a lot more practicing questions and see what happens.
 
Thank you so much! I agree with you. Research shows active learning-such as do questions is the most efficient way to study. I am starting doing a lot more practicing questions and see what happens.
A few more questions @: Do you use flashcards? If you do, do you use premade flashcard? Or you make yourself? Do you pre-study before the lectures or you just reviewe the material after the class? Many thanks!
 
1-2 other students is my max. Also have to be very picky with who you choose or youll end up goofing off and not staying focused. Find someone that either does as well as you in school if youre a student who already gets good grades or someone who does better than you in school if youre an avg student preferrably someone who does very well in that case. i dnt like to study in groups until I have a foundation in the material otherwise its less effective in my opinion. I wouldnt start out studying in groups but it can be amazingly effective once you have a base of knowledge in the topic

A few more questions : Do you use flashcards? If you do, do you use premade flashcard? Or you make yourself? Do you pre-study before the lectures or you just reviewe the material after the class? Many thanks!