What/Which is the most rewarding in internal medicine for you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PurplePepper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I'm starting my residency in IM next July in Montreal, Canada.

Just wanted to have your opinion about which subspeciality in IM you guys think is the most rewarding? And what do you find the most rewarding in IM?

Is it the mastery of your pathologies and their treatments? Feeling like you're the expert?
Or is it to alleviate your patients symptoms?

For me it definitely is the first one. But the second one is a good perk!

Taking all of this in mind, any subspeciality you guys would recommend for me? I like every subject in IM, except rhumatology. I'm considering cards, GI and hem-onc +/- pulm.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

-most rewarding sub specialty -- hematology oncology. competition doesn't come close. does cards have immune checkpoint inhibition ? No.

-most rewarding part of IM -- matching into hematology oncology fellowship

Reactions: 1 user
-most rewarding sub specialty -- hematology oncology. competition doesn't come close. does cards have immune checkpoint inhibition ? No.

Proudest moment of IM anywhere: When RustBeltOnc was born. Were you a true born hero? No.

Members don't see this ad :)

The other nice thing about Onc is the moral hazard of selling poison as hope and then when the patients starts on fire admitting them to the ICU so that someone else can take care of them and palliative care can have the conversations about how the patient was going to die really soon anyway that Onc should have had in the first place.

FTW!

It's the specialty for people who liked sub-prime mortgages because . . . someone else would be footing the bill when they all went belly up!!

Reactions: 7 users
The other nice thing about Onc is the moral hazard of selling poison as hope and then when the patients starts on fire admitting them to the ICU so that someone else can take care of them and palliative care can have the conversations about how the patient was going to die really soon anyway that Onc should have had in the first place.

FTW!

It's the specialty for people who liked sub-prime mortgages because . . . someone else would be footing the bill when they all went belly up!!
Lmao DAMN

Taking all of this in mind, any subspeciality you guys would recommend for me? I like every subject in IM, except rhumatology. I'm considering cards, GI and hem-onc +/- pulm.
First off congrats on matching! :)

I don't know what things are like in Canada. Are you planning to stay in Canada or did you mean you were thinking of coming to the US for fellowship? I don't know how things are after you graduate in Canada, so I'm afraid I can't help you much there. But as far as the US is concerned, I or I'm sure many others can try to help.

It's hard to say without knowing a bit more about you what subspecialty to recommend to you. Contrary to some advice you'll hear in various places including from other physicians (some physicians like to rubbish other specialties for whatever reason), I think all subspecialties can be good choices depending on what you are like and what you like. All have their pros/cons. And I'd say don't rule out rheum quite yet - it can actually be quite interesting and good, depending on what you're looking for. But speaking in general terms since i'ts hard to be specific with you:

1. Don't just look at the cool zebras in a subspecialty. Look at the bread and butter pathologies you'll be dealing with day in and day out. For e.g. endocrinology has some interesting pathologies, but you'll most likely be dealing a lot with diabetes, so are you interested in diabetes?

2. Wha'ts the patient population like? Are you interested in dealing with the sorts of people in the subspecialty you're considering (e.g. heme/onc dealing with generally more elderly people with cancer; ID deals with a lot of HIV/AIDS patients), etc.?

3. Do you like a more hands-on specialty, or do you prefer less hands-on specialties? I mean working with your hands. Or somewhere in the middle? Critical care is very much hands-on, lots of procedures, etc. Whereas hem/onc closer ot the less working with your hands side of things.

4. What are the other physicians like? Do you get along with the "culture" of the subspecialty? The (broadly speaking) sorts of personalities who tend to be in a particular subspecialty? Do you feel at home with them? (This is quite variable though but I'm just speaking in broad terms.)

5. If it's important to you, what's the lifestyle like beyond residency/fellowship? What are the hours like? Do they mesh with your goals in life (e.g. getting married if you're single, raising a family if you have kids, living in a certain locale if you need to end up somewhere)?

6. Consider the business side of medicine. What are the available practice environments post-fellowship (e.g. private practice, academics). Where do you want to end up working? Living? Is it difficult to find jobs around where you want to live in your subspecialty?

I'm sure there's much more to say, but I hope these will get you started. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

FTW!

So true. Of all specialties, why do oncologists refuse to have DNR discussions?

Sir, you have diffusely metastatic cancer, you're on your second salvage chemo regimen and have drains coming out of basically everywhere there shouldn't be drains. No one told you that you're basically dying. Your oncologist never told you? Really? Great so I get to be the bad guy.

So true. Of all specialties, why do oncologists refuse to have DNR discussions?

Sir, you have diffusely metastatic cancer, you're on your second salvage chemo regimen and have drains coming out of both your lungs to drain metastatic effusions and I just placed another one. No one told you that you have a limited time frame to live. every body cavity and you had no idea you were on the verge of death? Your oncologist never told you? Really?

Instatewaiter ---

Have you considered that you never see the patients we send to hospice without inpatient admission?

To the haters --

Clearly, you individuals have never cured someone of an aggressive lymphoma. There is nothing in medicine that approaches this in sheer AWESOMENESS.

First off congrats on matching! :)

I don't know what things are like in Canada. Are you planning to stay in Canada or did you mean you were thinking of coming to the US for fellowship? I don't know how things are after you graduate in Canada, so I'm afraid I can't help you much there. But as far as the US is concerned, I or I'm sure many others can try to help.

It's hard to say without knowing a bit more about you what subspecialty to recommend to you. Contrary to some advice you'll hear in various places including from other physicians (some physicians like to rubbish other specialties for whatever reason), I think all subspecialties can be good choices depending on what you are like and what you like. All have their pros/cons. And I'd say don't rule out rheum quite yet - it can actually be quite interesting and good, depending on what you're looking for. But speaking in general terms since i'ts hard to be specific with you:

1. Don't just look at the cool zebras in a subspecialty. Look at the bread and butter pathologies you'll be dealing with day in and day out. For e.g. endocrinology has some interesting pathologies, but you'll most likely be dealing a lot with diabetes, so are you interested in diabetes?

2. Wha'ts the patient population like? Are you interested in dealing with the sorts of people in the subspecialty you're considering (e.g. heme/onc dealing with generally more elderly people with cancer; ID deals with a lot of HIV/AIDS patients), etc.?

3. Do you like a more hands-on specialty, or do you prefer less hands-on specialties? I mean working with your hands. Or somewhere in the middle? Critical care is very much hands-on, lots of procedures, etc. Whereas hem/onc closer ot the less working with your hands side of things.

4. What are the other physicians like? Do you get along with the "culture" of the subspecialty? The (broadly speaking) sorts of personalities who tend to be in a particular subspecialty? Do you feel at home with them? (This is quite variable though but I'm just speaking in broad terms.)

5. If it's important to you, what's the lifestyle like beyond residency/fellowship? What are the hours like? Do they mesh with your goals in life (e.g. getting married if you're single, raising a family if you have kids, living in a certain locale if you need to end up somewhere)?

6. Consider the business side of medicine. What are the available practice environments post-fellowship (e.g. private practice, academics). Where do you want to end up working? Living? Is it difficult to find jobs around where you want to live in your subspecialty?

I'm sure there's much more to say, but I hope these will get you started. Good luck!

Awesome reply! I'll try answering your questions, hope it helps!

Yeah, I intend on staying in Canada. Might consider a fellowship in the US, but that's not before 5-6 years.

I'm starting to get a feel of what I want to get out of medicine.
- I want to have my niche, know my diseases inside out, and appreciate the technicalities that will help me decide the best diagnostic or therapeutic approach.
- Ironically, I kind of have a surgical mindset. What is the most essential information? I want to be efficient but thorough.
- I wouldn't mind some hands-on part to my specialty. Not essential though.
- I always thought lifestyle issues shouldn't limit your choice, as long as they are reasonable.

I'm in hem-onc right now. Didn't expect this thread to go all ape-**** on hem-onc! :eek:. It's interesting, but it feels like most of your interventions don't change much in the end...

With all that in mind, I'm considering GI more and more. Straight to the point. Medical and surgical. Varied pathologies. Lifestyle is a downside, though.

Thoughts ? :)

PurplePepper --

You are confusing the futility of much of inpatient onc with the raw, power of the field to save, and enhance human lives.

It's like stating there's no point to cardiology because, heh, nothing we do seems to help the pt with EF 10% we had on the inpatient service.

Look at the recent advances in the care of metastatic melanoma --- outpatient meds, mostly.

You need to ask your onc attending about what it's like for a pt to have a deep, sustained response to ipilimumab.

There is nothing in GI as rewarding. Nothing.

Where is that gutonc?

I'm going to answer the actual question. What gives me satisfaction is successful chronic disease management (and I'll say we are experts in that).

Most rewarding - when my patient's A1c came down from 10.6 to 6.5 in four months with orals, close follow-up with DM RNs/pharmacists/MD, diet, and exercise. Who knew this **** works in real life and not just controlled studies. Way more rare to do that than cure lymphoma let's be real.

Reactions: 1 users
I also like pall care and critical care a lot. But maybe I'm weird.
Actually, the entire field of Palliative Care started with an ICU doc who was tired of watching people die on vents and drips who should have been allowed to die naturally and comfortably.

Reactions: 3 users
Instatewaiter ---

Have you considered that you never see the patients we send to hospice without inpatient admission?

To the haters --

Clearly, you individuals have never cured someone of an aggressive lymphoma. There is nothing in medicine that approaches this in sheer AWESOMENESS.

Clearly Jdh and I are being hyperbolic and do not see those sent directly to hospice. We are seeing the disasters that come into the MICU or CCU with little hope of survival and no clue about it. Obviously it is oncologist specific.

I have seen aggressive lymphoma cured. and each specialty has their own version: cards has the STEMI VF arrest that is literally dead and the infarct artery is opened and the patient walks out of the hospital or the tamponade that is drained and survives.

GI has the massive GI bleed with intervention that saves them.

Nephro has the acute renal failure with severe hyperkalemia with sine waves that gets dialysis and survives.

Rheum has the acute lupus flares

Endo thyroid storm and the like

Pulm/critical care has a host of things

Members don't see this ad :)
PurplePepper --

It's like stating there's no point to cardiology because, heh, nothing we do seems to help the pt with EF 10% we had on the inpatient service.

Maybe nothing you do. Heh.

Clearly Jdh and I are being hyperbolic and do not see those sent directly to hospice. We are seeing the disasters that come into the MICU or CCU with little hope of survival and no clue about it. Obviously it is oncologist specific.

I have seen aggressive lymphoma cured. and each specialty has their own version: cards has the STEMI VF arrest that is literally dead and the infarct artery is opened and the patient walks out of the hospital or the tamponade that is drained and survives.

GI has the massive GI bleed with intervention that saves them.

Nephro has the acute renal failure with severe hyperkalemia with sine waves that gets dialysis and survives.

Rheum has the acute lupus flares

Endo thyroid storm and the like

Pulm/critical care has a host of things

I'm a "hero" on a daily basis. I'm over it.

Actually, the entire field of Palliative Care started with an ICU doc who was tired of watching people die on vents and drips who should have been allowed to die naturally and comfortably.

Hate to be pedantic, but it really started with Dame Cicely Saunders in the UK, a medical social worker who got sufficiently upset about how the dying were treated to go get her MBBS back in the 50s.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, but the movement came directly from there historically, so I guess we used to.

Edit: I see how my previous post was unclear. I was not injecting an irrelevant aside about how palliative care developed in one country specifically, but about its origins as a modern specialty generally. That is, it started in the UK and was imported to the US and other countries.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the movement came directly from there historically, so I guess we used to.

Edit: I see how my previous post was unclear. I was not injecting an irrelevant aside about how palliative care developed in one country specifically, but about its origins as a modern specialty generally. That is, it started in the UK and was imported to the US and other countries.

It was a joke.

'Merika!

Take a deep breath y'all. Inhale freedom, exhale patriotism.

In other words: Keep calm and 'MERICA!

FTW!

It's the specialty for people who liked sub-prime mortgages because . . . someone else would be footing the bill when they all went belly

2 thumbs up!!
:)
Same pain!

I am a Hospitalist and love it. I feel like a complete physician. I can take care of any type of patient and stabilize them. It's your choice what you like. If you like a certain sub specialty, go for it.

Reactions: 2 users
Clocking out ;)