What will an "underdog" interview be like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullsoncharades

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I have never posted here before, but have been quietly lurking here for about a month now. I recently got an interview invite (my first and only school out of like, 20 applications sent) and was looking for some guidance and/or a confidence boost, if you don't mind!

So I completed my AACOMAS application around July-August, so it's been at least five months since applying (try and stay patient everyone else who has been waiting!), and have gotten over a dozen rejections. I'm actually in the process of applying to Master's programs now.

Anyway, my stats are: GPA - 3.03; MCAT - 28/503; ECs - ~2000 hours each for research and working as a nurse's assistant, ~100 hrs shadowing, ~100 hrs volunteering, etc etc.

I was invited for an interview at Touro NY as an out-of-stater and I was wondering what I should expect. My stats are very low, I know, but since I got an interview, what does this mean? Is the school essentially okay with my stats and now want to "vet" me, or could my stats ultimately be my downfall despite a good interview? I'm confident that I can do well on the interview, but I'm still quite nervous since I feel this could be my only interview of the cycle. Should I expect questions regarding my struggles in school or should I come right out and address them? I know I should "be myself", but the interviewee and I both know what my weaknesses are in my app.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

There are interview feed back threads that may be able to help you on this. Also, the school specific threads.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of DO schools, including mine, do NOT pre-screen. The job of the Admission dean is to fill seats, but the Adcom members are faculty who have to teach these people, and so are more picky.

Your stats could very well be your downfall alas. My own Adcom has had discussions with candidates like you where the interviewer has said "Nice guy/gal, but I'm worried about that GPA"...and onto the waitlist pile you go.

Will you be specifically asked about your GPA? Probably not directly, unless Touro does 1 on 1 interviews. Eveen then you might be asked obliquely, to give insight into your study habits or how you cope with stressors.

Good luck and go read my post on guide to interviews.

I was invited for an interview at Touro NY as an out-of-stater and I was wondering what I should expect. My stats are very low, I know, but since I got an interview, what does this mean? Is the school essentially okay with my stats and now want to "vet" me, or could my stats ultimately be my downfall despite a good interview? I'm confident that I can do well on the interview, but I'm still quite nervous since I feel this could be my only interview of the cycle. Should I expect questions regarding my struggles in school or should I come right out and address them? I know I should "be myself", but the interviewee and I both know what my weaknesses are in my app.

Thanks so much![/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
I consider myself an underdog, and got the bad cop at my ACOM interview. I felt like was absolutely drilled about my application. It totally caught me off guard. I ended up on the WL, but I didn't think I did too terribly during the interview.

Just make sure you talk about 1) How you have learned from your mistakes and 2) What you have done to ensure that you will be successful. Also, follow proper interview etiquette (Firm handshake, good posture, eye contact, etc.)

Reactions: 1 users
I consider myself an underdog, and got the bad cop at my ACOM interview. I felt like was absolutely drilled about my application. It totally caught me off guard. I ended up on the WL, but I didn't think I did too terribly during the interview.

Just make sure you talk about 1) How you have learned from your mistakes and 2) What you have done to ensure that you will be successful. Also, follow proper interview etiquette (Firm handshake, good posture, eye contact, etc.)

Side Note: I totally had the good cop/bad cop thing at ACOM... The bad cop looked at me as if I was an idiot every time I opened my mouth and drilled me on my application and on healthcare stuff; stressful.

OP: I haven't interviewed at Touro - NY, but at Touro - NV they drilled me on my application. Not so much my stats, but asked about my research (specifically.. what's the point?... so be prepared to justify any research you may have done.) Ummm... oh they asked me specifically if I applied to LECOM - SH... which was really weird and specific.. especially since I had an interview coming up there in a couple days. One of my interviewers said he just transferred from LECOM to work at Touro. It was odd.

Based on my Touro - NV experience I would just say know your app backwards and forwards, and also be able to explain why you think you are ready for medical school (especially being an underdog..) They asked me what changed/why did I think I was ready for medical school. I had a lower gpa, but a strong ~2 year 3.9+ trend.. so I talked about my "reinvention."

Reactions: 1 users
An underdog interview will be just like any other interview with the addition of your interviewers possibly asking you about a low grade and how you overcame it/how you are more prepared now. At the time of my app I had a 3.34 gpa and wasn't asked about any of my grades. Just be prepared to discuss, but don't freak out over it. If they invited you to interview it means they liked something in your app and are really willing to consider you.
Best of luck to you OP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users