What would happen if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlexN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would happen if you were already accepted by the military, you went through MEPS and everything checked out, and then it was discovered, later down the road, that you had an illness that could potentially limit your effectiveness as a military dentist? Not necessarily life-threatening but definitely could hinder your performance. Would you be immediately discharged and have to pay back all the tuition you owe to the military? Or would they just let you go and you wouldn't have to pay it back? I'd really be curious to hear from guys who are actually in the military. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What would happen if you were already accepted by the military, you went through MEPS and everything checked out, and then it was discovered, later down the road, that you had an illness that could potentially limit your effectiveness as a military dentist? Not necessarily life-threatening but definitely could hinder your performance. Would you be immediately discharged and have to pay back all the tuition you owe to the military? Or would they just let you go and you wouldn't have to pay it back? I'd really be curious to hear from guys who are actually in the military. Thanks.

AlexN,

I am not an authority in this arena. However, from what I understand the Military would Medically Retire you and you would not have to pay back anything. I have seen this happen to a 28 y/o in the Army.

SoonerFan