Destroyed Navy MDU, what happened?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big Time Hoosier

Man. Myth. Legend.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...so a former shipmate just sent me a link to a video that showed some people inside an MDU and it is getting absolutely wrecked! I don't have any close contacts still in the Navy, and I am dying to know what happened. Did they forget to put on the brakes and stabilizers and the thing rolled down a hill? This is how safety standdowns are born.

***There’s some “language” in the video, but I can’t blame them given what’s happening.***

Big Hoss

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I texted a reservist who used to be a corpsman in dental, to see if he knows anything. Will post back on here if I get anything.

I know he knows about this video, I looked it up on my Instagram and saw his profile amongst the people who had liked the video.

• Haha
Alright, he got back to me. He doesn't know any specific details about this, no more than me or you.

Also, I noticed you used the term "shipmate" in your original post. I don't know what years you served, but I'm sure it was close enough to mine, and thus the same "rules" applied to you, in that this specific term was initially used to confer respect but turned into a term that meant a butt-chewing by a chief was coming your way, and so eventually this term was frowned upon to be used.

I wanted to use this term, as a troll to the kool-aid drinkers, and make them think I was super gung-ho about the world's finest navy (ugh), but those who knew me would know I was being facetious. Still, I had to say something super positive but not really, but what could I say that would not get me in possible trouble? Oh I know, I'll say "mateship". That's what I used. For example, "Mateship, what is the status of the REM-B? Has it been sterilized, because OMFS requires it today and podiatry had used it yesterday" or, when someone was in uniform and you didn't care to look at their rank or nametag and you just didn't plain care, "Mateship, how can I assist you?" Or when I was feeling especially troll-like, "Mateship! That was fine work you did today!"

Particularly that last one, my enlisted for the most part got along with me well and for the most part liked me a lot, but dang, did they HATE when I used "mateship" in everyday verbal communication.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, he got back to me. He doesn't know any specific details about this, no more than me or you.

Also, I noticed you used the term "shipmate" in your original post. I don't know what years you served, but I'm sure it was close enough to mine, and thus the same "rules" applied to you, in that this specific term was initially used to confer respect but turned into a term that meant a butt-chewing by a chief was coming your way, and so eventually this term was frowned upon to be used.

I wanted to use this term, as a troll to the kool-aid drinkers, and make them think I was super gung-ho about the world's finest navy (ugh), but those who knew me would know I was being facetious. Still, I had to say something super positive but not really, but what could I say that would not get me in possible trouble? Oh I know, I'll say "mateship". That's what I used. For example, "Mateship, what is the status of the REM-B? Has it been sterilized, because OMFS requires it today and podiatry had used it yesterday" or, when someone was in uniform and you didn't care to look at their rank or nametag and you just didn't plain care, "Mateship, how can I assist you?" Or when I was feeling especially troll-like, "Mateship! That was fine work you did today!"

Particularly that last one, my enlisted for the most part got along with me well and for the most part liked me a lot, but dang, did they HATE when I used "mateship" in everyday verbal communication.
I only ever used it to hassle fellow LTs, such as the individual who shared the link, and I took pride in my shenanigans. Case in point, my friend got pulled for some month-long field op. When he got back, in a morning muster with 50 plus people, my OIC let me award my friend an "E" device for his National Defense ribbon for his expert level defense of our Nation on the exercise. I even printed up a fancy award certificate. Oh the confusion when I called "At ease to award!" My friend wore the ribbon on his scrubs the whole day. I wonder what his patients thought. Good times... Great, the nostalgia has set in and now I have to try to convince myself to not do the Reserves.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's the best when your chain of command gets in on the tomfoolery. It really helps you go the extra mile.

One of OR's in one of the commands I was at, the anesthesia machine was right next to the door to the central core of the OR. One of the CRNA's was telling me about this line of jokes, I think it was from The Office, in which you walk into the room, sniff visibly in front of someone else, and say out loud, "it smells like updog in here". The other person is supposed to then say, confused, "what's updog?" So for this particular room, you could walk into the OR and immediately be right next to the anesthesia machine and its circuits of whatever gas they were using. So of course, I would occasionally walk into this OR, be right next to anesthesia, and then I would make sniffing noises and peek around various corners of the machine. Inevitably, the CRNA or anesthesiologist in the OR that case would notice something amiss, and then when I could see that they were paying attention to me, I would make eye contact and state in a serious voice, "it smells like updog in here". They, already in the mental state of mind in which they think some sort of gas leakage is occurring, would not notice what I said and would fall right into my trap. They'd scrunch their eyebrows, be like, "what's updog?" Then I would smile, say "not much dog, what's up with you?" and then promptly leave the room.

Since you're in peds, I suggest you try it sometime next time you have a GA case.

• Haha