what would of you done differently..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aqua11230

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!!!

Im just starting out as a pre med and I was just wondering if there was anything you would of done differently in your pre med years or something you would of known that would of helped ya out along your way!

Members don't see this ad.

aqua11230 said:
Hey!!!

Im just starting out as a pre med and I was just wondering if there was anything you would of done differently in your pre med years or something you would of known that would of helped ya out along your way!

Relaxed, gone out more, not stressed out as much over getting into medical school, gotten to know my professors better (i.e. going to office hours more often).

P.S. No offense, but it is "would have." :)

shiraz84 said:
P.S. No offense, but it is "would have." :)
i was going to say that but in a meaner way. haha. i'd have stopped medical consulting much earlier and began medical research because i found out that i love this stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know I was going to go for med school eventually.... But if I had known, I wouldn't have shopped around for classes so much. All of the classes you drop before your schools deadline for it to not show up on your transcript STILL show up on AMCAS (at least at my school).

i would have exercised more. seriously, i'm so out of shape now that i don't know how long it's going to take me to get back into shape. i'm not fat or anything, just have a high pulse, breathe a lot, and am sometimes borderline hypertensive. exercise is good and helps you focus and sleep--or so i've heard.

so that's one of my main goals for the next four years.

Wish I studied differently the first three semesters of college.

RayhanS1282 said:
Wish I studied differently the first three semesters of college.

how would you have studied differently?

i just finished my freshmen year but was able to do really well. one piece of advice that i received that i really took to heart was, "you have 4-5 chances a semester to prove yourself in class, you can make the time to put the work in to kick the crap out of the exams like the pimp that you are." cheers.

aqua11230 said:
Hey!!!

when I studied for the MCAT, I shouldn't have gone out 4-5 times a week. not only did i gain a lot of empty calories that summer but i didn't so well on the MCAT studying. so try to study hardcore for the MCAT the first time and don't start studying if you're not gonna go all out. (go out once a week)

1) Wouldn't have taken "challenging" GEs rather than "easy" GEs. I have at least 2 A-s to show for that kind of cockiness.
2) Would have gone out MORE - classes aren't THAT hard.
3) Wouldn't have done EMTing, research, and 19 units of class all at the same time Fall of Junior year.
4) Would have volunteered at, say, the LA Free Clinic more.
5) Wouldn't have spent so much effort on the dating arena. :oops:

aqua11230 said:
how would you have studied differently?

In my early undergrad semesters, I did what I used to do in High School...slack off for most of the semester and then study a day or two the night before...that served me in High School. I used the same formula for college and it didn't work out. Apparently, Momma raised me stupid 'cause it took me three semesters to perfect (using the term loosely) a credible study formula...which have served me pretty well thus far, which is studying a little everyday (about an hour to two hours) outside of classes. This allowed me to keep pace with the stuff taught in lecture and not have to cram the night before.

Also, math has always been a difficult area for me and for some odd reason or other my undergrad institution saw it fit to throw me headfirst into Bio-calculus my first semester. That's where it all started to go wrong. And instead of dropping the class like a hot potato, I convinced myself that maybe I can pull off a B or something (yeah...pull it out my ass that is).

If I were you, I wouldn't log onto to this site for another three years because it's only going to make you nervous. Plus, you'll try to do stuff just because other people are doing it. Just follow your own path and you'll end up in the right place.

roboyce said:
If I were you, I wouldn't log onto to this site for another three years because it's only going to make you nervous. Plus, you'll try to do stuff just because other people are doing it. Just follow your own path and you'll end up in the right place.

Excellent adivce. There is such a think as being "too-informed".

Members don't see this ad :)
i probably would have gotten into shadowing physicians and volunteering at clinics earlier, say around the end of freshman year or so. not a huge committment, maybe like once a week for 1-2 hours

There are a number of things I wish I had known when I started college. Some things took me nearly ten years to figure out, but I'm not sure I could've learned them any other way.

1. You don't have to have a family connection to get into med school.
2. You don't have to be weathly to get into med school.
3. Grades are more important than you know.
4. Student loans are not evil or bad. If loans will help you not have to work or work less, take them. (Wish I had done this.)
5. The adage about majoring in something you like is crap. Major in something you like that has at least some sort of job potential post-BS/BA.
6. Some friends are not friends, no matter how nice they can be at times. People who are going nowhere will only help you go nowhere, too. You must lose these types of people in your life.
7. There are people who CANNOT work without direction. This is vital to realize for group projects. Sometimes a person isn't being lazy they just need to be told what to do.
8. You can frequently get all your textbooks free from the library! Ohio's library system kicks ass.
9. Sometimes you can't do it all. If someone wants extra help with their project/paper/homework or whatever and your grade will suffer for it...it is okay to say, "Not this time."
10. Know who runs the show in your department and be their friend even if they are the most bitchy, stupid person you know. Usually the most important person when it comes to red tape and paperwork is the secretary.
11. Cramming works but you will regret it.
12. We are all talented, there is always someone better than we are in one thing or another...learn from them.
13. Take home tests are not usually better than in-class tests.
14. Those NIH/NSF research programs look at the candidate not just the candidate's numbers.
15. It is far more important to get along with your boss in research than to like the research topic itself.
16. It takes time to really 'get' peer-reviewed journal articles. The first time I read one I was like, WTF? Don't panic if you don't understand.
17. Some PhDs are not very bright. Some will give you incorrect information rather than admit they don't know. This will happen with your instructors. Everything they say is not gospel.
18. Recreational drugs are not good when you rely on them. Then, they are not recreational. Really, it's not good to use them even recreationally...
19. A-B beer tastes bad because it is bad. This country is blessed with an enormous microbrew community. So much more variety than wine and cheaper (sometimes) too.
20. It's okay to take a weekend off occasionally to go have fun. Even if you work, have someone fill in and take a freaking break.

Okay, that was a lot. Sorry to ramble.

make sure that you really really really want to do this and nothing else:

-SHADOW physicians, talk to physicians: only way you'll know what's the truth and what is a bunch of crap on SDN, from your pre-med committee and other students
-remove that glorified hero/saving lives/making tons of money/yacht and porsche driving image of what a physician: you wont have the free time or money that you think and it's not as glorified as ER or Gray's Anatomy... Scrubs is more realistic than those shows.
-chill the hell out about being pre-med: it's a marathon, not a sprint- lots of people say they want to be a doc going into undergrad...most of them (~70%) dont make it past Orgo
-that being said have a backup plan (as said earlier a major that can get you a job)
-Dont be one of those people who forsakes all friendship/social activity to sit in the library on a friday night to study orgo while you miss the time of your life with people that could have been friends
-Be well rounded and happy with your choices
-get good grades
-everything in moderation, even studying for the MCAT: you dont want to have to fill in that convict box on AMCAS/wake up with an ugly person next to you/see what it's like to have your stomach pumped and hydrated by IV drip (I know people that can attest to all three...luckily I've only had the second one)
-Find something to be passionate about: Science/Music/Art/Model Airplanes/Origami/WHATEVER...just be yourself all that medschools are looking for are INTERESTING INDIVIDUALS not just the average premed who's been locked in the library studying ORGO that they dont know who they are or what they like
-Dont wait until the last minute for anything

finally, as said above... GET OFF OF SDN AND GO BE A FRESHMAN/SOPHMORE/ JUNIOR IN COLLEGE, you'll learn more that way than by sitting here reading a bunch of posts from neurotic people like us who are going through the application process which is somewhat life consuming

now scamper along young one and go play. Have fun cause college is over in 4 years: Dont take life too seriously, no one has ever made it out alive...

definately gone out more, especially freshman year, that way you will make friends for the rest of your time at college.

Here's what I wish I had known: that you don't have to be a science major to get into medical school. I would have been a lot stronger in the humanities or something. I agree with advice on getting to know your professors... becoming best friends with 1 or 2 will help you out in the long run. Definitely go out. You can't study 24/7. I am also in the same boat of being able to get away with a lot in high school and not in college. My study habits from high school helped me excel tremendously and they just didn't cut it in college. Took me a long long time to really learn how I should study. It's different for everyone. I also agree with not looking at these forums anymore. WAY too much information... which is why I didn't get on for a long time :p You guys all have great advice :thumbup: Good luck.

finally, as said above... GET OFF OF SDN AND GO BE A FRESHMAN/SOPHMORE/ JUNIOR IN COLLEGE, you'll learn more that way than by sitting here reading a bunch of posts from neurotic people like us who are going through the application process which is somewhat life consuming

now scamper along young one and go play. Have fun cause college is over in 4 years: Dont take life too seriously, no one has ever made it out alive.

hahahha, best advice yet. I am one of those crazy sophomores who obsesses too much about her future. But to me, this is play since I am currently avoiding my work in a lab at the Cleveland Clinic. Wandering these forums is more fun than wandering around PubMed.

mgreenw said:
hahahha, best advice yet. I am one of those crazy sophomores who obsesses too much about her future. But to me, this is play since I am currently avoiding my work in a lab at the Cleveland Clinic. Wandering these forums is more fun than wandering around PubMed.

Whose lab, what department?

roboyce said:

geez nice profile...you'll definitly have a pick at a top-tier school....don't worry though i cant even dream about doing what you've done...nice job man

Major in something you like or will help you. I thought this was Biology but I should have done athletic training or exercise science.

Don't get on SDN until MCAT and App time. It will only make you more of an anal pre-med.

Actually learn in my first 2 years because now studying for the MCAT sucks.

aqua11230 said:
Hey!!!

1) I would have NOT STRESSED OUT so much about getting near-perfect scores on every exam in college and would have been kinder to myself when I didn't always meet my standards.

2) I would have spent more time making new friends and going out (especially as a freshman/sophomore).

3) I would have done some clinical volunteer work earlier and would have tried to get more out the volunteer work that I did (although I did learn a lot from my experiences in the ER).

4) I would have started studying for the MCAT earlier (I started studying in January for the April MCAT and was taking classes that quarter as well).

5) I would have planned my classes out better to realize that following my university's pre-med schedule, I would be taking Physics III after the MCAT and would have to learn about optics/waves on my own (although it did make that quarter of physics much easier). :)

Overall advice: Don't stress too much, eat healthy, excercise and get plenty of rest! :sleep: :sleep:
:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

P.S. SDN is addicting! Don't get sucked into going to the library to "study," but instead you spend a couple of hours browsing through these posts the night before a big exam or the week before the MCAT. :laugh: :laugh: :(

I know I, and others, have said this before...but i'm going to repeat it because i think it bears the need to be repeated...

ENJOY COLLEGE!!

While I feel that I did 'live-up' the college experience as much as possible... (as my avatar illustrates)...it DOES go quick. I have just recently come to the realization that morning class at 9 or 10am, tues.-thurs afternoons off and, all-night marathon sessions of PS2 NCAA Football w/ the roomates are nearly at an end. Soon will be early morning lectures, late evening labs/studying, all-night rotations, boards, fighting through the match, $150,000 in debt + mortgage, marriage, children (whom I hear are always demanding money for things like "food" and "clothes"), and 60 hour work week. My biggest fear is that the next thing I know, I may wake up and be 40.

Long story short - enjoy college to its fullest. Take interesting, different classes, meet interesting, different people, try interesting and different drinks, do interesting and different things - all without regard for how it will pad your application.

roboyce said:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=3611

Sorry for the off-topic reply....but holy crap roboyce - I looked at your mdapplicants profile and if that were mine, I would have it printed up on t-shirts so I could wear it around. I love how the mention of a Bronze Star is placed 10th on the list in a very nonchalant.."oh yeah, and there is this citation for valor..." sort of way. :cool: Well done, sir - you make me wonder if I deserve to be in med school :thumbup: :thumbup:

hoberto said:
T
4. Student loans are not evil or bad. If loans will help you not have to work or work less, take them. (Wish I had done this.)

So true, so true... If loans will give you time to do EC/volunteer/study/do better on MCAT, don't worry SO much about getting into debt. I resisted for too long, what a mistake that was, busting my a$$ trying to pay for school :scared:

Hoverto, great post:thumbup:

I hate it when I write a long reply and then the server screws up and it gets lost.

Basically I said don't procrastinate. You'll regret it in the future.

aqua11230 said:
Hey!!!

I would have traveled more, drunk a wide selection of alcoholic beverages and spent more time in the sorority houses.

I would have done nothing differently.

Although I don't have the perfect GPA or MCAT, and one's EC's can always be improved - I would change nothing.

All of my shortcomings I learned from, and through the 4 years at undergrad I went from a TV/Video game freak who didn't know how to study and turned into a much more functional student. I decided that if going to med school was really my goal, I would have to make sacrifices in order to succeed.

I'm one of those people who has to f*ck up once before it settles in - then I bouce back with a vengence. It sounds arrogant to say you wouldn't change a thing about college, but I'm happy with my grades and they're far from perfect. But if I spent so many more hours toiling in a library I wouldn't have gone to the football games, played pickup soccer, had coffee with friends, practiced speaking spanish with colleagues, and doing all the non-school things that I really enjoyed doing while in college.

There may be a more competitive applicant than me, but not a happier one. And I will get in! [somewhere :scared: ]