What would u do different ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Varblade

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all... now that u'r in clinical rotation.. what would u do different and what would u do the same during your M1 and M2 yrs ?

itll be great to reflect and to allow the young 'uns to learn from good/bad experience :hardy:

Varblade
IMU 2007

Members don't see this ad.

Study. Don't attend lecture. Concentrate your energy on the subjects you want to honor, and enjoy the rest of the time. Use your weekends wisely, as you'll never have them again all in a row.

-Todd MS-IV USC:cool:

hey thanks..
others? any radical ideas? :p

Varblade @ IMU 2007

Members don't see this ad :)
have a firm schedule and stick to it.

Things to do in your first two years of medical school to make the later years easier:
  • Make good friends with a few people. Study with them.
  • Meet lots of people, and learn how to laugh with them.
  • Figure out the big picture. As you start to study each piece, make sure you know how it fits into the big picture.
  • Remember that it's the learning, stupid, not the grades. Really.
  • Enjoy yourself; you have more time than you think.
  • Don't worry so much about forgetting stuff. Everything important comes back again. And again. And then again, a few more times.
  • Do things that matter to you; they're probably more educational than studying all the time anyway. Don't sacrifice your life to these two years; they're not worth it.
  • Try to figure out what kind of person you want to be. Not what kind of doctor, what kind of person.
  • Try and talk to your teachers. Most of them are probably pretty interested in listening to you and what you have to say. And they might have some good ideas that don't come across in a lecture.
Your milage may vary. Good luck. :thumbup:

" Try to figure out what kind of person you want to be. Not what kind of doctor, what kind of person "

nice.. thats a great one..
most ppl in their quest to become "surgeons" and "radiologists" fail to realise that ultimately.. its not the Person who becomes a doctor.. but.. its actuallly.. a Doctor who becomes a person.

Varblade @ IMU 2007

I still regret attending lecture so much. I was a faithful class goer.

I wish I had spent that time memorizing the sylabi because it's the minutia in the sylabi that you are tested. However it is important to make sure you understand the big picture, even though that's never tested.

If I had spent lecture time studying, then I could have spent my evening study time being a person instead of a nerd.

Sigh.

attend lecture even less than what i did. or maybe "start skipping class first semester instead of second" during my ms1 year would be more fitting.

enjoy my time off more-- you know, travel and stuff.

save my money and not buy anything except a stethoscope and maybe a pocket opthalmoscope/otoscope.

that's about it. i did it *almost* exactly right, lol.

ears said:
Things to do in your first two years of medical school to make the later years easier:
  • Make good friends with a few people. Study with them.
  • Meet lots of people, and learn how to laugh with them.
  • Enjoy yourself; you have more time than you think.
  • Don't worry so much about forgetting stuff. Everything important comes back again. And again. And then again, a few more times.

These are EXCELLENT points. I can't stress the importance of making good friends with at least a few of your classmates. They'll be there when you need to study, procrastinate, vent, complain, whatever. Priceless, IMHO. :thumbup:

I think you need to figure out how you learn best. Everyone always says that going to class is a waste of time, but for some people this is how they learn best. I can honestly say that I gained a lot by going to class. Yes, some of the lectures were poor, but there were more times that the lectures clarified the material. Just know your own learning style and don't feel guilty for not going or going to class.

I would probably begin to network as early as possible in a field that you are interested in and do research in it. I knew I was interested in surgery coming into school, but my research project after 1st year was on chicken eye balls. I'm not sure what I was thinking...it seemed like an easy project with easy publishability (neither of which were true).

So, if you think you may have any interest in all in some kind ofcompetitive field, get to know attendings early on as possible. Cut class to go to their clinic or OR. The earlier you establish any relation with an attending the better.

I'd pay more attention to those clinical skills labs that we had that always seem to be two or three days before our block exams.

I don't know that there is much that I would do different. I really enjoyed medical school but I went to a very laid back school, where gunning was not the norm.

But things that I definately think paid off? Much of what people are saying here.

• Be nice to people. You never know who or what you will need later in life.
  • These are your work collegues. Remember this and treat them in a manner you would want to be treated.
  • Don't get married to one field. You absolutely *never* know what will appeal to you in your 3rd year.

then there is the, have fun, dont' take yourself to seriously.

hey great tips.. thanks..

still a long journey though.. but enjoyin it nevertheless!
medrox.