what would you do? considering other career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Torresss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a third time applicant and this cycle offer me only one interview/waitlisted…
Since I cannot afford another year of this waiting game, I applied to dental hygiene school, nursing school, and chiropractic school and got accepted to all of them… what would you choose if you were in my situation?

I would appreciate your advise and thoughts. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That's interesting and all seem like great career options. Congrats on the acceptances! If you love dentistry hygeine is a great career because you work with patients all day and deal similar challenges and rewards as a dentist. The compensation is decent around 60k/year. Dentists make double but also built up tons of debt so actually hygeine will be a quicker way to make a decent living in the dental field.
Nursing is great too in terms of compensation but schooling is rough and many nurses work crazy hours. If you like the sound of 3 day a week 12 hour shifts it might be for you. Of course, you have to enjoy working in a hospital setting and handling some difficult medically compromised patients. Do you think that is for you?
Don't know much about chiropracter but you'll definitely get some dentists as clientele.

The choice is really up to you. Weigh the option; day to day work, work-life balance, schooling costs, compensations. The most important thing is which profession would be the most fulfilling and intriguing for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are your stats? and would be looking back and wondering what if?

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for your kind words! It's gonna be a thought decision..still have no idea what to do cause I never thought of any other career

That's interesting and all seem like great career options. Congrats on the acceptances! If you love dentistry hygeine is a great career because you work with patients all day and deal similar challenges and rewards as a dentist. The compensation is decent around 60k/year. Dentists make double but also built up tons of debt so actually hygeine will be a quicker way to make a decent living in the dental field.
Nursing is great too in terms of compensation but schooling is rough and many nurses work crazy hours. If you like the sound of 3 day a week 12 hour shifts it might be for you. Of course, you have to enjoy working in a hospital setting and handling some difficult medically compromised patients. Do you think that is for you?
Don't know much about chiropracter but you'll definitely get some dentists as clientele.

The choice is really up to you. Weigh the option; day to day work, work-life balance, schooling costs, compensations. The most important thing is which profession would be the most fulfilling and intriguing for you.
Thban

Sorry to hear that dental school didn't work out. Can you share a bit on your application? While your GPA is low, your DAT is great. What schools did you apply to?

Any one of those careers seems good to pursue, but the decision is ultimately up to you. The thing to understand is that while those all careers are health related, they each are rewarding, different, and unique in their own respective way. Want to stick to dentistry? Obviously dental hygiene is your best bet. Seems like pay is good and hours can be great if you find the right place. Want to work in a hospital setting? Nursing is the way to go, but hours and work can be a little stressful. Want to treat people and possibly be your own boss? Chiropractic seems like a good answer to that. But do remember that this option requires four years of schooling compared to two that most dental hygiene and nursing schools require. How much time and money do you want to invest? What do you want to see yourself most as?

Good luck!

cGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.0
DAT 22AA 23TS

What schools did you apply to? when did you apply? You should have received more interviews. More details are necessary.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry to hear that dental school didn't work out. Can you share a bit on your application? While your GPA is low, your DAT is great. What schools did you apply to?

Any one of those careers seems good to pursue, but the decision is ultimately up to you. The thing to understand is that while those all careers are health related, they each are rewarding, different, and unique in their own respective way. Want to stick to dentistry? Obviously dental hygiene is your best bet. Seems like pay is good and hours can be great if you find the right place. Want to work in a hospital setting? Nursing is the way to go, but hours and work can be a little stressful. Want to treat people and possibly be your own boss? Chiropractic seems like a good answer to that. But do remember that this option requires four years of schooling compared to two that most dental hygiene and nursing schools require. How much time and money do you want to invest? What do you want to see yourself most as?

Good luck!
I applied to 15 schools including udm, uop, usc, bu, tufts. Thanks for your thoughts! I gotta figure out what I really want I guess.

Hi guys, I am a third time applicant and this cycle offer me only one interview/waitlisted…
Since I cannot afford another year of this waiting game, I applied to dental hygiene school, nursing school, and chiropractic school and got accepted to all of them… what would you choose if you were in my situation?

I would appreciate your advise and thoughts. thanks!
Sorry to hear you're having such a struggle. Tough pill to swallow sometimes when you see others with very similar stats getting into dental school. If you're not completely done with the whole process, then I'd suggest the DH route and then re-apply. That would certainly go a long way to showing your resolve and commitment to the field. If you've just had enough of the process, I can absolutely recommend nursing, but just not a LPN or even RN. Get your BSN, take a year off to work in an acute setting, and then go to CRNA school. It's competitive to get in, but nothing like dental school. CRNA's make 140k to 160k per year, and you certainly won't have the dental school debt load since CRNA is just a two year program. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear you're having such a struggle. Tough pill to swallow sometimes when you see others with very similar stats getting into dental school. If you're not completely done with the whole process, then I'd suggest the DH route and then re-apply. That would certainly go a long way to showing your resolve and commitment to the field. If you've just had enough of the process, I can absolutely recommend nursing, but just not a LPN or even RN. Get your BSN, take a year off to work in an acute setting, and then go to CRNA school. It's competitive to get in, but nothing like dental school. CRNA's make 140k to 160k per year, and you certainly won't have the dental school debt load since CRNA is just a two year program. Best of luck.

Yes it is very depressing to watch ppl who have similar stats getting into dental schools but I gotta move on. Thanks for the info! I'll look into it :)

I applied to dental hygiene school, nursing school, and chiropractic school and got accepted to all of them… what would you choose if you were in my situation?

That is an easy choice for me...
Nursing!
A 4 year nursing degree will take a kid that is smart and willing to work hard FAR MORE places then a dental degree will go. The options are enormous. The licensing restrictions are much easier to deal with as a nurse, so you can move around the country and practice with greater ease. The options for specialization beyond the 4 year degree are much, much greater for a RN than for a DDS/DMD. As I see the future of health care in this country nursing looks brighter and dentistry looks dimer. Lastly, as a nurse there is always someone "over" you that is going to take the $h!+ if you get into a bad spot.
Become a NURSE and have a great life.

Reactions: 1 user

Also a solid plan. For nursing school, I think it is only 2 years (once you get in) right?