What would you do in my shoes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavvz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

I am a licensed radiographer looking to become a PT. Exercise is a passion and X-Ray isn't the route I should have went, but we all make wrong choices.

Having an A.A.S degree makes choosing schools harder due to the lack of acceptance. Right now I have the option: 1 and 2

1) Attend Montclair State University with my choice of Athletic Training..(cost=roughly $32k for 2 years) including room and board.

or

2) Attend Rutgers University under the basis of a "communiversity" with a list of pre-chosen majors (cost=rougly 12k) will be commuting.

List of majors

-BA Criminal Justice
-BA Labor Studies and Employment Relations
-BA Labor and Employment Relations
-BA Liberal Studies
-BA Journalism
-BS Nursing -- NOT viable...must be an RN to continue with BS in nursing.
-BA Business Administration
-BA Political Science
-BA Psychology -- best choice?
-School Nurse Certificate
-BA in Social Work
-BS Public Health

Even after completing both undergrads, I would still most likely ending up going back to community college to satisfy DPT pre-reqs (physics, stats, etc)

Not sure what to do, just want some insight on a decision from some insightful people.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
BS in Nursing at Rutgers. Less expensive, and versatile degree in case you change your mind and don't want to go into PT later.

I second jblil. The nursing degree will probably satisfy the most pre-reqs before you have to go back to community college to obtain the rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second jblil. The nursing degree will probably satisfy the most pre-reqs before you have to go back to community college to obtain the rest.

I'm sorry, I should have specified. The Nursing degree is only available to licensed RN's.

If not nursing I'd do business admin, most useful in the job market and may give you a leg up on other PTs with no business knowledge

Some things to consider:

What your undergrad degree is in won't matter as far as admissions is concerned. Cumulative GPA and pre-req GPA is immensely important.

Prestige of undergrad University doesnt matter. An A in Anatomy from a community college is worth the same as an A in Anatomy from a prestigious University.

The take away: Get the highest GPA you can in the cheapest way you can. PT school costs enough, don't let undergrad drain you before you get there.

Good luck!

Hey Cavvz,

What is making you ultimately decide PT is the best route? Just the passion in exercising? Why not go to your local PTA program. You will be graduate in 2 yrs making mid 40k with extremely minimal debt...and it is a low risk option b/c if you don't like it your didn't put a lot of time and money into getting the degree and can easily go back for something else. If you choose the DPT route at this point, it would be an immense committment of time, money, and opportunity cost....just a thought!

Hey Cavvz,

What is making you ultimately decide PT is the best route? Just the passion in exercising? Why not go to your local PTA program. You will be graduate in 2 yrs making mid 40k with extremely minimal debt...and it is a low risk option b/c if you don't like it your didn't put a lot of time and money into getting the degree and can easily go back for something else. If you choose the DPT route at this point, it would be an immense committment of time, money, and opportunity cost....just a thought!

This is definitely something to consider.... check out the difference between PTA and PT because if PTA and PTA salary suit you, that might be the best option. I know the PTAs that I have come across all talk about finishing school with ~5K in debt,

A lot of excellent input guys, much appreciated

To answer the following responses regarding PTA, I really want to have a career that would be able to support the lifestyle my parents gave me. Having said that, it would be rather hard to do that on 40k a year.

Having shadowed a PT the last week, I enjoyed how they eval the patients, dictate treatment, etc. I'm only 22 so I feel like I should make the commitment and go for it.

As far as schooling is concerned, the above poster nails it; highest gpa undergrad possible with minimal cost.

Get the most versatile degree in an area where you can have the flexibility to enter other areas of the medical field. PT is only good for 1 domain and if you burn out or change your mind, you'll be stuck in the profession.

Besides, the DPT doesn't warrant its designation... not worth the ROI whatsoever for all the debt you will incur. It'll take you YEARS to recover your principal and accrued interest.

It depends on how old you are. If you still plan on working for another 30+ years, then I would say aim for the DPT. If you're in your late 30's or 40's, then you might want to consider being a PTA and incurring as little debt as possible. Of course, as a PT you can make a lot more working in rural areas where no one wants to work, and serving people no one wants to serve. How old are you, cavvz?

Kevin

it depends on how old you are. If you still plan on working for another 30+ years, then i would say aim for the dpt. If you're in your late 30's or 40's, then you might want to consider being a pta and incurring as little debt as possible. Of course, as a pt you can make a lot more working in rural areas where no one wants to work, and serving people no one wants to serve. How old are you, cavvz?

Kevin

Cavvz,

Why PT instead of all the other health professions? What are your true interests?

Dude, do yourself a favor and don't apply to become a PT unless you absolutely LOVE the idea of helping people with stretching and exercising all day long.

Helping people overcome a setback is fantastic but there are far greater medical degrees in demand with superior ROI. Look into med school in the Caribbean or Australia.. got friends doing it in both places and its cheap! Not to mention quality of education is pretty good! The US med school model is very good but extremely tough to get in PLUS expensive. However there's serious value to be had from what I hear in Central/South America you can really do a lot more!

Cavvz if PT is what you want to do then absolutely pursue it. 99% of the people on this forum are helpful and supportive and will echo that, but then you'll find a troll who has nothing better to do but write paragraphs trashing the field every day

Have you thought about getting a Bachelors in Rad Tech. It might be easier, and cheaper. As mentioned above, most programs do not care what your major is, as long as you have the overall grades and pre-req grades.

I would also second hope4baylor, who suggested a business degree. If you want to be independent, or hope to manage a rehab facility or clinic somewhere, this would be an excellent start.

Rad Techs are obsolete. My uncle owns a radiology practice and has had the same 30 x-ray technicians for the past 40 years. His private practice is still profitable but he advised me to stay far away because people already in the field are not retiring and no new jobs are going to be created in this area. Hospitals are also cutting their overheads from Obamacare and declining reimbursement.

Don't listen to bpdpt, he's an ignorant TUAT with no knowledge of the economy. Probably has no CLUE how to even a read a balance sheet let alone understand the concept of opportunity cost. Pursuing a rad-tech specialization will put you in an already overflooded market with few jobs. My uncle has been running this very successful practice for a long time in NYC. I would take his word for it

OP - Here's what I'd do, for whatever career I am interested in:

1. Shadow and talk to several people in the profession; not just 2 or 3, but talk to as many as you can practically manage to get your hands on. Most folks love to talk about what they do, so offer to buy them coffee or lunch and pick their brains;
2. Find out the pay for the profession. There is a survey on the Physical Therapy section on starting salaries. Keep in mind that's the pay you get for your very first job after obtaining your degree, and your salary would generally go up as you gain experience. Starting-pay info is usually not easy to find, as salary surveys tend to poll those who already have worked for a few years;
3. Find out how much the training will cost you, in time and money. That's easy because that info can be found on any school's website.
4. Compare (2) and (3), and think carefully about your own likes and dislikes about the profession. Then make an informed decision. And stick with it.

Picking a career will influence your life and lifestyle for decades, so it pays to be careful. Don't listen blindly to advice from strangers on an internet discussion board, especially when it's anecdotal like this bit:
Look into med school in the Caribbean or Australia.. got friends doing it in both places and its cheap! Not to mention quality of education is pretty good!