what would you do in this case?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMBorVCU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work as an intern in a chain Pharmacy for a month rotation. ( I work in retail for 6 year and use similar system). My preceptor blamed every mistake on me even though it were the tech's mistakes ( this tech is old and float to this store same time when I start my rotation) and say to the customer: "sorry , because she is a new intern so she did not know anything". I am really upset , report to school but no one do anything about it

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone else is reporting things to the state board. Come and jump on

Members don't see this ad :)
I work as an intern in a chain Pharmacy for a month rotation. ( I work in retail for 6 year and use similar system). My preceptor blamed every mistake on me even though it were the tech's mistakes ( this tech is old and float to this store same time when I start my rotation) and say to the customer: "sorry , because she is a new intern so she did not know anything". I am really upset , report to school but no one do anything about it

One of two things is going on here:

1) You are incompetent.
2) He is incompetent.

I lean towards the latter. When you accept students on rotations, your job is to train them, not use them as free labor. Ignore the a-hole and when you evaluate the site for your school, blast him

my question is: what should I do in this case since my school coordinator keeps quiet and do nothing, and I keeps get blame for things that I did not do, and I dont really want to point finger to the tech because she is new and she really needs this job but she is really bad, constantly make mistakes and I have to correct it.

my question is: what should I do in this case since my school coordinator keeps quiet and do nothing, and I keeps get blame for things that I did not do, and I dont really want to point finger to the tech because she is new and she really needs this job but she is really bad, constantly make mistakes and I have to correct it.

Two things come to mind:

1) My advice is to make a game out of it. Make a joke anytime you are blamed for something. Something like: Oh sure, blame the intern; Always the intern's fault, right?; etc. Then ask if there is anything else they would like to blame on you, like the weather or their sports team losing, etc. In my experience using humor to make tense situations fun does wonders, everyone appreciates it. It sounds to me like you may be blowing this way out of proportion. I also advise losing the ego, if indeed you have one (hard to tell from two posts).

2) Your grammar is awful. Not trying to be mean but it's true.

Pull the a-hole, I mean pharmacist, aside and explain it is unprofessional to tell the customer who caused the error/problem/issue. If the error/problem/issue reached the customer, the error is the fault of the pharmacist. Techs and students don't make errors, pharmacists make errors.

what would you do in this case?
Learn to speak and write the English language. Your ability to communicate is really poor and without being there I would guess this is a large part of your problem.

The school isn't going to get involved in a situation like this. This is the type of thing you should try to handle directly with the preceptor. You'll have interpersonal conflicts like this throughout your career so it's good practice. AND, even though it stinks to be embarassed in front of customers, try to avoid arguing or correcting the preceptor while customers are around. This should be handled privately.

What type of mistakes are we talking about anyway? What are you being blamed for?

Sounds like a crappy rotation site. At least it's only for a month.