What would you do with a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orrghead16

decimals and dollars
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a soph. right now. I just talked with an academic advisor and found out that my scholarship will run out as soon as I am able to graduate. I came in with a ton of AP credit, so right now I only need about 30 credits to graduate after this semester. I absolutely am not going to apply this coming cycle (Don't want to take the MCAT yet/I think going into it after only 3 years puts my at a disadvantage/I would rather spend more time free before I become a slave.) I could apply, the advisor even tried to talk me into it earlier this year, but I said no way.

So I am kind of left with three options with what to do during my year off:

1. I stay another year at my undergrad and earn two degrees (BA & BS)
2. I complete a Master's degree, doing a thesis in my current lab. I could get done 12 hrs of grad. credit done next year, so I would be off to a good start. I still dont know how feasible it would be to complete a Masters in ~1 yr.
3. I take a year off and just straight chill. Work full time in my lab. Crank out some crazy results before I go to med school. Spend all my freetime going on interviews, catching fish, or chasing ducks.

Either way, I am looking to apply next summer. Take the MCAT a year from now. What would you do in my shoes? I would probably rather do 3. But how would doing 3 look compared to 1 or 2 for MSTP programs? If I do 2 or 3 I would be back in my hometown, closer to the airport.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming that your GPA is good, I don't see much of a benefit in options 1 or 2. I don't think that the extra degree, either BS or MS will make that much of a difference in MD/PhD admissions, but "cranking out some crazy results" and getting some extra publications could be a big boost. Plus it will keep you sane.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same situation. I came in with 55 credits and with be an 18 yr old senior for a few months until my birthday. I was thinking of taking extra classes but it'd be useless. I'll have a few car payments, so I plan to work in the lab and apply my knowledge there.

Apply for a Fulbright or comparable post-grad fellowship

I would do option 3. But with less work and more chill...or travel

Yes, #3 most definitely. Do some lab work, travel, have fun. That's what I did, and I was really really happy I did.