• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

orrghead16

decimals and dollars
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am a soph. right now. I just talked with an academic advisor and found out that my scholarship will run out as soon as I am able to graduate. I came in with a ton of AP credit, so right now I only need about 30 credits to graduate after this semester. I absolutely am not going to apply this coming cycle (Don't want to take the MCAT yet/I think going into it after only 3 years puts my at a disadvantage/I would rather spend more time free before I become a slave.) I could apply, the advisor even tried to talk me into it earlier this year, but I said no way.

So I am kind of left with three options with what to do during my year off:

1. I stay another year at my undergrad and earn two degrees (BA & BS)
2. I complete a Master's degree, doing a thesis in my current lab. I could get done 12 hrs of grad. credit done next year, so I would be off to a good start. I still dont know how feasible it would be to complete a Masters in ~1 yr.
3. I take a year off and just straight chill. Work full time in my lab. Crank out some crazy results before I go to med school. Spend all my freetime going on interviews, catching fish, or chasing ducks.

Either way, I am looking to apply next summer. Take the MCAT a year from now. What would you do in my shoes? I would probably rather do 3. But how would doing 3 look compared to 1 or 2 for MSTP programs? If I do 2 or 3 I would be back in my hometown, closer to the airport.

magwi11

MD/PhD - MS3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Assuming that your GPA is good, I don't see much of a benefit in options 1 or 2. I don't think that the extra degree, either BS or MS will make that much of a difference in MD/PhD admissions, but "cranking out some crazy results" and getting some extra publications could be a big boost. Plus it will keep you sane.

About the Ads

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
I'm in the same situation. I came in with 55 credits and with be an 18 yr old senior for a few months until my birthday. I was thinking of taking extra classes but it'd be useless. I'll have a few car payments, so I plan to work in the lab and apply my knowledge there.

HansSpemann

OMG, Stem Cells
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Apply for a Fulbright or comparable post-grad fellowship

Picklesali

M2
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
I would do option 3. But with less work and more chill...or travel

delirium81

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Yes, #3 most definitely. Do some lab work, travel, have fun. That's what I did, and I was really really happy I did.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.