What would you do....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CollegeGirl94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
UGH I'm so frustrated.
I just got back from my Biology Lab.
For some reason, our experiment won't run and even the head of the whole Lab couldn't figure it out.

Anyways, we are so behind. Most people are done collecting, we haven't even started. So we will need to collect in other lab sections + analyze it all by hand/do what the computer can't do.

Obviously, 2 people weren't so happy about this and dropped/are dropping. That leaves me and another guy. Our TA said that if 1 person is left, he/she will join another group. I highly doubt the other person will drop, so SHOULD I?

1. This Biology is foreign to me (taking it next year) and professor advised against, but was doing well on quizzes for this topic (might not for the second topic).

2. We're so behind, I really don't have so much time to collect + analyze outside of this lab. Actually, I have classes during most of the other labs.

3. I'd be screwing over the other kid if I stay.

4. The dude who was the best at the computer aspects of the lab dropped.

BUT I need this Bio Lab to take some upper level Biology courses (main reason I'm taking Orgo this summer). I'd have to wait a year to take it.... So my whole junior year would be f'ed?

Members don't see this ad.

Get up on my feet and stop makin' tired excuses.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How many threads can one person make about how everything goes wrong and it's never their fault.

Reactions: 3 users
Aren't you already taking physics, calc 3, spanish? Just do what is best for your GPA, I don't think a gap year would hurt if you need one.

Aren't you already taking physics, calc 3, spanish? Just do what is best for your GPA, I don't think a gap year would hurt if you need one.
And Biochem.
Yeah, I'm going in Thursday morning to try to redo it all and entice people from the hallway (lol) to do the experiment.
We'll see, I'm more concerned about not being able to take some cool classes next year.

Wait, I think it's two different people..?

You're confusing @CollegeGirl94 with @Kochanie and @HopelessGirl . Don't worry. I had the same problem. :naughty:

UGH I'm so frustrated.
I just got back from my Biology Lab.
For some reason, our experiment won't run and even the head of the whole Lab couldn't figure it out.

Anyways, we are so behind. Most people are done collecting, we haven't even started. So we will need to collect in other lab sections + analyze it all by hand/do what the computer can't do.

Obviously, 2 people weren't so happy about this and dropped/are dropping. That leaves me and another guy. Our TA said that if 1 person is left, he/she will join another group. I highly doubt the other person will drop, so SHOULD I?

1. This Biology is foreign to me (taking it next year) and professor advised against, but was doing well on quizzes for this topic (might not for the second topic).

2. We're so behind, I really don't have so much time to collect + analyze outside of this lab. Actually, I have classes during most of the other labs.

3. I'd be screwing over the other kid if I stay.

4. The dude who was the best at the computer aspects of the lab dropped.

BUT I need this Bio Lab to take some upper level Biology courses (main reason I'm taking Orgo this summer). I'd have to wait a year to take it.... So my whole junior year would be f'ed?

Wait why won't he drop? Surely he stuck with it right? So you do the same.

Reactions: 1 users
:( They're not excuses. Should I take my professor/TA's advice and drop it?

My post was song lyrics based off of your title. ;)

You have to decide what's most important to you. Back when I was in undergrad, we weren't necessarily graded on how successful our experiments were but rather how thorough our lab reports were. That's probably not the case with you, though, based on this thread.

If you get the redo to work, just stick with it. If not, maybe you can ask to both get split up into different groups?

Wait why won't he drop? Surely he stuck with it right? So you do the same.

Actually... He might. I think he has the same thinking as me, **** having labs junior year.
I think I will... I just need to make sure the experiment works. The professor said she'll work on it this weekend, but it was the strangest thing. Hopefully I can break into the labs in the morning. :D

My post was song lyrics based off of your title. ;)

You have to decide what's most important to you. Back when I was in undergrad, we weren't necessarily graded on how successful our experiments were but rather how thorough our lab reports were. That's probably not the case with you, though, based on this thread.

If you get the redo to work, just stick with it. If not, maybe you can ask to both get split up into different groups?
It's the same! Last two quarters our experiments were big failures, but we could explain them.
But we need some kind of data to analyze lol!
It's basically sensory. So the data will make sense no matter what, but the experiment won't give us the data (gives us all 0's, highly doubt people's reaction times are 0).

It's the same! Last two quarters our experiments were big failures, but we could explain them.
But we need some kind of data to analyze lol!
It's basically sensory. So the data will make sense no matter what, but the experiment won't give us the data (gives us all 0's, highly doubt people's reaction times are 0).

Maybe one of your partners who dropped the class sabotaged your experiment?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe one of your partners who dropped the class sabotaged your experiment?
:D Except that people dropped because it won't work.
Funny story, someone from another lab did delete it and we had to remake it. -_- But no, the program didn't like our experiment :grumpy:

I'll put in some extra time this week/weekend + snatch people from the halls. Hopefully we'll catch up.

:D Except that people dropped because it won't work.
Funny story, someone from another lab did delete it and we had to remake it. -_- But no, the program didn't like our experiment :grumpy:

You're assuming they're genuine. They probably went kamikaze on you and ditched the ship while laughing at your misery. Nice UG you go to :yuck:

You three always have some thing going on (hopeless, you, and kochanie)...

edit

Last edited:
Wait ... Are you blaming someone else for your lab not working? Lab TA are only there to make sure you don't kill yourself - not help you do your labs.

If the lab doesn't work because it cannot work, for EVERYONE the prof will probably exempt. If other sessions work and yours doesnt - that is your fault.

Eat some brownies and bribe others to help you with brownies. Life will be good.
Depends on if they share the equipment. At my ugrad, there were various different labs and machines. Some would break. TA would write a note, you would use another group's data for the report.

Why not ask the TA/prof for permission to use another groups data? Or if you are using the same equipment as other groups and you're the only ones having problems, then yea, read the lab manual more carefully because it's not the equipment.

You three always have some thing going on (hopeless, you, and kochanie)...

@moisne conspiracy of 2014! :eek:

Depends on if they share the equipment. At my ugrad, there were various different labs and machines. Some would break. TA would write a note, you would use another group's data for the report.

Why not ask the TA/prof for permission to use another groups data? Or if you are using the same equipment as other groups and you're the only ones having problems, then yea, read the lab manual more carefully because it's not the equipment.

I don't think using other groups' data is tolerated/allowed regardless of the circumstances unfortunately. TAs/profs at my UG made a big deal out of it, so i wouldn't be surprised if this were the case.

I think our program won't run on the computers. Professor couldn't figure it out and I couldn't figure it out.
I went back yesterday and today for two hours making new programs to run. I just think it doesn't like our sequence because I ran it on a few computers. I'm kind of frustrated at this point since it's too late to make a new proposal, but worst case scenario, I only get to run the experiment on a few people and analyze and plug it in by hand, but the professor definitely understands.

I can't use others' data because other people have different proposals/programs. I can join someone's group if the last person drops.

I need to work hard in my other classes, this lab is literally not teaching me one thing. I'll take it next year and email professors to get a permission number to get into their classes without the prereq.

I need to work hard in my other classes, this lab is literally not teaching me one thing. I'll take it next year and email professors to get a permission number to get into their classes without the prereq.

You're dropping it?

Still waiting for the other guy to and I'm going to try one last time tomorrow after class, but it's not looking good. I wish he was helping lol.

You're both dropping? So the entire group has dropped? Excellent loyalty :bow:

You're both dropping? So the entire group has dropped? Excellent loyalty :bow:
3 people did. He's staying and I'm still in it meaning we have to work together ourselves. If he drops it, I get to join another group... Ugh this thing is due Tuesday, why aren't labs open on weekends. :arghh:

3 people did. He's staying and I'm still in it meaning we have to work together ourselves. If he drops it, I get to join another group... Ugh this thing is due Tuesday, why aren't labs open on weekends. :arghh:

So if he drops it by tomorrow, you'll stay? Otherwise, you'll drop?

So if he drops it by tomorrow, you'll stay? Otherwise, you'll drop?
If he drops, I'll be very happy and stay.
If I can figure it out tomorrow and run it Monday on a few people I snag from the hallways, I'll be sad and stay.
If I can't figure it out and he doesn't drop it, I'll drop it.

This is just the data part, shouldn't be the hard part lol. I wish we could use stopwatches or something, stupid technology.

If he drops, I'll be very happy and stay.
If I can figure it out tomorrow and run it Monday on a few people I snag from the hallways, I'll be sad and stay.
If I can't figure it out and he doesn't drop it, I'll drop it.

This is just the data part, shouldn't be the hard part lol. I wish we could use stopwatches or something, stupid technology.

Ok wait:

1) Sounds gunnery... :nono::naughty:
2 and 3) If you can figure it out and he doesn't drop, you'll still stay?

What would happen if he drops after you drop?

Ok wait:

1) Sounds gunnery... :nono::naughty:
2 and 3) If you can figure it out and he doesn't drop, you'll still stay?

What would happen if he drops after you drop?
He won't, because then he gets the benefit!
I don't get a W or anything like that, I was just concerned I couldn't take cool classes.

But you took Bio 3 already? You needed the lab for upper level classes? Weird
We need to take 4 Bio classes for Bio major and I believe premeds do too even though it's over a year, I took 1, 2, and 4 (now).
Next year, first quarter, I'm taking 3.
The lab sequence goes 1, 2, 3 so I'll sadly need to wait until senior year if any classes have the lab as a prereq. 4 doesn't have a lab.
But yeah, it's a prereq for some Neuro classes (my concentration), others only make the classes and not labs a requirement. I'm sure it's not hard to get out of though, especially if you're declared Bio major.

It's a bit confusing.

We need to take 4 Bio classes for Bio major and I believe premeds do too even though it's over a year, I took 1, 2, and 4 (now).
Next year, first quarter, I'm taking 3.
The lab sequence goes 1, 2, 3 so I'll sadly need to wait until senior year if any classes have the lab as a prereq.
But yeah, it's a prereq for some Neuro classes (my concentration), others only make the classes and not labs a requirement. I'm sure it's not hard to get out of though, especially if you're declared Bio major.

It's a bit confusing.

I doubt upper level classes need a lab prereq, unless you're aiming to take advanced lab courses (please don't unless you're required.).

I doubt upper level classes need a lab prereq, unless you're aiming to take advanced lab courses (please don't unless you're required.).
NEVER.
And yes, some do. :(

BIOL SCI 302-0 Fundamentals of Neurobiology I
Prerequisites: 210-3 or 215, 216, 217, 218, 220, 221, and 222

220's are the labs.

I might just take 3 quarters of Orgo this summer, if I'm doing good. Most of the pre-reqs are "3rd Orgo ORRRRRRR all of the pre-req bio's + labs"

NEVER.
And yes, some do. :(

BIOL SCI 302-0 Fundamentals of Neurobiology I
Prerequisites: 210-3 or 215, 216, 217, 218, 220, 221, and 222

220's are the labs.

I might just take 3 quarters of Orgo this summer, if I'm doing good. Most of the pre-reqs are "3rd Orgo ORRRRRRR all of the pre-req bio's + labs"

Are you a bio major?

Since when are bio labs so hectic? Lmao at my school no one drops it, and it is pretty lax. Yikes. Sounds like your UG sucks...

Since when are bio labs so hectic? Lmao at my school no one drops it, and it is pretty lax. Yikes. Sounds like your UG sucks...
Everything here is hectic and competitive. :p \

But yeah.. That's my point. Most people's computers that worked collected their data last week easily and are analyzing next week. We haven't collected anything yet.

Ok from the course info you mentioned, I think I know what UG you attend (don't worry lol it's between the two of us). There are much better alternatives you can take. PM me if you're interested
I think I mentioned the school on here already, but sure. :)

Who are the other 2?
A lot of people on here go to U Chicago too.

Pretty sure HopelessGirl attends your UG and is most likely in one of your classes. @terp720 is an alumnus from your UG.

And possibly someone else you know very well (aka to the PM boatmobile :naughty:)