What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TalulaJem

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I thought the decision- making part of this whole process was over once I chose U of Pitt over BU. Now, unexpectedly, I have gotten off the wait list at University of Michigan. What would you do in my position? Any takers? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If UM is where you would be happiest--end of story! Go to UM---this is coming from a Buckeye fan, so I sure wouldn't tell you to go there for sh%*s and giggles! Good Luck! :)

Make your own decision but seriously UofM is a great school. And no, I am not on the waitlist at Pitt. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Go BLUE all the way! I went to michigan for my undergrad and I loved the A square(ann arbor) so much that I might go back there for my dental school. It is little cold out there but Pitt and BU is even worse so that doesn't compare. I don't know anything about dental school downthere but I sure love the town. I heard many good things about dental school though and mostly positive. People are great and town is very friendly adn everyone loves football(sure broke our own record last year in attendance). hey you know what go where you feel is right and I am just being so biased becasue i went there. Good luck with wherever you decide to go.

shoot myself in the head or get involved with organized crime...

Go to the school that you will be happier.... and I mean the whole 4 years experience.

To OP, When i replied first I said what I felt but while I was thinking about the conversation I had with the dentist that I am shadowing. He told me this, pick the best school that you feel is right for you. Also look at the price and quality("is always there regardless of price you paying" he said) and weather and other family and personal issues. He also said that there is no guarantee that you will be happy at the school where 85 other people you know is happy and keep this in mind no matter where you go you will always hate something school you going. But you are going to professional school not undergrad so learn to live the choice you make and be happy about it and don't blame yourself or complain later that I should have gone to other one. Also he told me that no school gurantees the specialization, only you gurantee yourself spot in post grad. He himself went to state funded school and was ranked 7 in his class and had very very good chance of post grad but he realized that he wanted to be GP after all and start practicing and he sure looks very happy and successful to me. he told me, the reason he didn't specialize was that he will be doing the samething over and over and didn't want to do it but he said it's just me. His dad was a dentist too and he wanted him to specialize bcz he had chance but then was like its a personal choice. Anyway I don't know where I am going with this but I hope is helpful to you. I sure do know that this shadowing has really helped me lot and i love it.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I really appreciate it. ;)

I love having this black karma spot..it's great, bring on the pain.

gatorfan99 said:
I would reconsider going to B.U. again! :) :) :) :)

Gatorfan,
It's too late!!!! They only gave me a week to decide. That ship has sailed. Oh well. I hope you have fun there, though. :D

Fairbrother, after having lived in both Michigan and Connecticut( 1.5 hours from Boston) I can say that Michigan is DEFINITELY colder

gatorfan99 said:
I would reconsider going to B.U. again! :) :) :) :)

IF YOU PICK UPITT OR UofM....YOU HAVE MADE A HUGE MISTAKE!!!! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GOING TO BU!!!! IF YOU DON'T, YOU WILL REGRET!!

hey calculus1, you know what I think yu may be right. i have never been to boston or connecticut in my life. I sure do want to go to one of those sox-Y game. I think in michigan it also depends where you live. if you live near lake side you get more colder and high speed wind and if you live in let say Lansing would be kind of better but i don't think i can tell the difference. I think UP is really really cold all the time except for couple of months a year. For me weather is big deal but first i chose cold for school than I chose cold for food(JOB) and Next year will be applying to dental school. Will see how weather plays role in my decision. Sure would love to go to florida or something.

hey question for you guys while I am writing this. i ahve been living in philly for almost 2.5 years so when I apply to dental school I will be resident of Pennsylvania right?? Not the Michigan my Home(well my parents don't live there anymore) but I still think is my home but is liitle cold.

hopefulgirl said:
IF YOU PICK UPITT OR UofM....YOU HAVE MADE A HUGE MISTAKE!!!! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GOING TO BU!!!! IF YOU DON'T, YOU WILL REGRET!!

Hopefulgirl,
Those are some strong words. What makes you say that? I really curious

fairbrother said:
hey calculus1, you know what I think yu may be right. i have never been to boston or connecticut in my life. I sure do want to go to one of those sox-Y game. I think in michigan it also depends where you live. if you live near lake side you get more colder and high speed wind and if you live in let say Lansing would be kind of better but i don't think i can tell the difference. I think UP is really really cold all the time except for couple of months a year. For me weather is big deal but first i chose cold for school than I chose cold for food(JOB) and Next year will be applying to dental school. Will see how weather plays role in my decision. Sure would love to go to florida or something.

hey question for you guys while I am writing this. i ahve been living in philly for almost 2.5 years so when I apply to dental school I will be resident of Pennsylvania right?? Not the Michigan my Home(well my parents don't live there anymore) but I still think is my home but is liitle cold.

I believe that in order to be considered a resident of Pennsylvania, you must own property. At least, this is what they told us at the Temple interview

TalulaJem said:
Hopefulgirl,
Those are some strong words. What makes you say that? I really curious

I am just kiddin :D
I am going to BU...so I think everyone else should go there, too! I like the school...and....I think BU follows my Motto: "We work together & play together".
I wish you lots of luck. :)