What Would You Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirdangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am all set to start at a Caribbean school next year, but was recently told by a few advisors that I should reapply to US schools... I applied once two years ago, had 3 interviews, but no luck. Since then I know that my application is definitely stronger. What do you all think? Would you go to the Caribbean anyways, or would you try again in the US?
Can you defer at a Caribbean school to apply to US schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like your application was strong to begin with (getting 3 interviews isn't too shabby). If it is, in fact, stronger, you may want to re-apply to some U.S. schools.

Not sure what Caribbean school you were going to start at, but I'd be willing to bet that if it didn't work out for a U.S. school, you'd be able to get re-accepted to the Caribbean school.

It's a lot easier to start out at a US school, rather than try and transfer from a Caribbean school.

Good Luck!

Brian
MS-II, St. George's University

DEFINATELY reapply to the US first!!!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
i used to think that that is the right way to do. but since i started in my carbit school, i have changed my mind. there are lots of students on my campus who just didn't even bother to apply twice. and seriously, who is gonna care about where you got your degree after 10 years? you are just all the same.

and by applying again and again, you will just get older and older. if you are a woman, that is really bad for u, 'cause you will have higher possibilities of having down's syndrome kids. haha.

you should definitely reapply to US schools. If you received interviews from several then you seem to be in good shape, especially if your application would be stronger. I would advise applying to many many different schools, especially the public ones in your home state. Also dont just shoot for the top medical schools, apply through a varying range so that you can give yourself the greatest opportunity to gain acceptance. With regards to applying to a Caribbean school, I think that if you applied to any of the top 5 (St George, AUC, Ross, Saba, St Matthews) and simply put your admittance on hold until you hear back from the US schools you will be fine. It will at least save you from having to make another set of applications again down the road. No matter what anyone tells you, US medical schools arfe definitely a better fit for most US students. In preparation for the USMLE alone, i believe the passing rate for US medical schools is around 97%, where foreign students seem to be passing around 60-70%. Also, graduating from a US medical school allows you to practice without the chance of having licensing problems down the road (unless you are simply a bad doctor). Finally, if you get into an average US medical school, you can still transfer into a US medical school in your state (or others) if you have a reason. This definitely opens up a lot of windows in getting into the school of your choosing. The odds of transferring into a US medical school from abroad are slim and none, and slim just left the building. Make sure that you way your options to the fullest extent, because medical school is a life decision, and you dont want to either rush it, or not maximize your opportunities.
:thumbup:

I strongly agree with AmericanIMG. It may be true that 10 years down the road it won't matter which school you attended, but getting to that point will be filled with much more headache and worry if you attended a Caribbean school!

MSIII (AUC)

If you are starting Caribbean School in SGU, AUC or Ross then go for it.

If you feel you could get into a US school AND you want to get into a relatively competitive residency, then go the US route.

Life is not a destination, it is a journey...I know that it is a cheesy maxim, but it is true.

thirdangel said:
Hi all! I am all set to start at a Caribbean school next year, but was recently told by a few advisors that I should reapply to US schools... I applied once two years ago, had 3 interviews, but no luck. Since then I know that my application is definitely stronger. What do you all think? Would you go to the Caribbean anyways, or would you try again in the US?

Thanks!

I would only go to the Carribean if you meet all of the 4 criteria

1. You are in a hurry to go to medical school and can't wait another year
2. You have no real desire to specialize and will not feel deprived if you end practicing in a primary care field.
3. You really want the MD label and DO is not an option for you
4. You are naturally a very patient and optimistic person that deals with discomfort, and disorganization better than the average person

If you meet all of those criteria, go to SGU then AUC then Ross in my opinion.

thirdangel said:

Thanks!

In general, you should exhaust all your options in the U.S. first before going to a Carib school. In your case, you seems to have a good perspective to get into a US MD school, why not just wait for one more year to apply U.S schools.

However, if you don't go to the carib school this time, they prob will not let you go next year.....

daelroy said:
I would only go to the Carribean if you meet all of the 4 criteria

1. You are in a hurry to go to medical school and can't wait another year
2. You have no real desire to specialize and will not feel deprived if you end practicing in a primary care field.
3. You really want the MD label and DO is not an option for you
4. You are naturally a very patient and optimistic person that deals with discomfort, and disorganization better than the average person

If you meet all of those criteria, go to SGU then AUC then Ross in my opinion.

this is a joke in case you are confused. :)

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I applied this year, had three interviews and now waitlisted at 2 schools (where there is little waitlist movement). I know the weaknesses (which are things I CAN control and easily changed), and applied to numerous Special Masters Programs. When applying I applied to a wide range of schools (practically none in the extremely competitive areas except for my state schools). If I do choose to reapply, I'd apply for matriculation in 2006.

I haven't made a decision yet since I haven't been accepted yet (I didn't apply until late May, I still need to call my interviewer and schedule an interview, and hopefully after talking to him and hearing from the school my decision will be easier to make).

I really think you should evaluate your own reasons for going to the Caribbeans, and see if the pros definitely weigh out the cons. Everybody has different scenarios/situations to deal with and it may or may not work for you. I've evaluated my reasons and listed them below, and hopefully you can do the same for yourself.

I only applied to SGU and leaning more towards it because of an affiliated hospital is located in my hometown. I hope to do as many rotations as possible there and if things work out well, even do my residency there. I've already decided I'd like to settle down in my hometown after finishing med school and want to work with the underserved communities in my county, thus doing rotations and residency in my hometown will give me a jumpstart and establish connections to reach my future goals.

In my case, I'd be saving two years of my time, and if everything goes as planned, I'd also save money during rotations/residency. Since I'll be done two years sooner, the potential income I'd make in those two years will exceed the extra costs in going abroad (or even less considering the costs of some private med schools in the US... AMC is over $40 K a year in tuition!! and I'd be saving money spent enrolling in an SMP and reapplying) I'm 90% sure I want to do primary care, family medicine and/or pediatrics. Since I want to work in underserved communities I don't think they would care where my degree came from, as long as I do a good job and treat their ailments.

I didn't apply to DO schools, but considered it and realized it wasn't for me (I love the philosophy behind osteopathy, but because of my own future goals and the groups of people I want to work with having and MD is better for me).

As for the cons, the living conditions in the caribs, the extra costs (which I've discussed how it's balanced out in the long run), the extra travelling, all the "red tape" with rotations and residencies, lack of support and subpar advising/support services (compared to US med schools).

Thus, as you can see in my case the Pros definitely outweighs the cons. To all other viewers of this forum, if I have left out any "Cons" in my evaluation, please let me know so I can re-evaluate my situation.

Good luck to you and hopefully, my scenario and evaluation helps you in making your decision.

Weigh your options. If time is of the essence, go to the Caribbean school. If you can find something to do with your time and don't mind waiting to get accepted to a U.S. medical school, then do this. I personally would wait a year. Follow your heart though.

thirdangel said:

Thanks!

Reapply, don't settle because the IMG or FMG process is a painful and frustrating one at that not to mention severely handicapping yourself in regards to be competitive for various fields

It is time to grow up and get on with your life. We will not live forever unfortunately. I was in the same boat as you and dedcided to go to Caribbean in Jan 05. Good luck with your choice; I can sympathize with you.

lealf-ye said:
However, if you don't go to the carib school this time, they prob will not let you go next year.....

The school let me defer up to a year. No questions asked.

Hi all! Thanks for the advice. I decided to go to the Caribbean school. I think my last MCAT score was definately a sign that I should go. :eek:

I also thought that I should re-apply to US schools, but then a few doctors (all IMGS) told me that was silly, especially since it's not a sure thing and that I should take the space that I have.

It would be nice to know what could happen, but I've already prolonged it long enough.

I start January 2005.