What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtb93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation.. I'm on the waitlist for Briar Cliff University's DPT program. This is the only potential offer I have received this application cycle. Last month after my interview, I was placed #28 on the waitlist, now I'm up to #15. I've been notified that it is "likely" that I will be offered admission, but there is no saying when or if this acceptance will come. Currently, I live in Green Bay, WI, so the commute to BCU is roughly 9 hours.

I'm having second thoughts about accepting the offer if it comes since I think it will be to olate to get financial aid and find housing. This program also seems a lot more expensive than other programs I'd applied to. I am also having some familial issues with which I'd prefer not being 9 hours away from. Having subpar application stats, I worry that this opportunity will not come around again.

Concerning this application cycle, here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.31
pGPA: 3.5
GRE: V148, Q152, A3.0
Observation hours: 400+ in 4 settings

In the interim, I've been improving my GPAs by taking new coursework (Med Term and Developmental Psych) and retaking prereq courses (Anatomy and Stats). I've also been on a rigorous study plan for the GRE, so I'm sure my next score would be significantly higher. Volunteer hours were lacking on my previous application, but I've gotten a good amount to put on an upcoming application.

I guess I'd just like some advice on my situation. I'm determined to become a PT, and I'm willing to take whatever steps needed to get there. Any advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I say if you get the opportunity to get accepted to that program then you should take it, that is 1 less year of waiting around, get done with school and get out to the work force. Unless you think you can straight up merk those GRE's and bring your pGPA up at least .2 points then I would say try your chances for next cycle. I also don't know what issues you are having but if you need to be close to home that also severely limits your options.

Ultimately it is up to you to make the decision, do what you think is right in your heart. If you are not happy with your decision or it feels forced then everything else will suffer.

Reactions: 1 user