What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RAD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently re-taking Gen Chem, Organic Chem, and Physics this semester (taken these courses a ~ 8-10 yrs ago). Tomorrow is my last final, yay!!! :D

I really want to re-take the MCAT this April and feel that taking part II of all 3 courses, plus an MCAT prep course may be too heavy a load. So is it wise to 1) skip Orgo II next semester, take a review course instead, and take MCAT this April? OR 2) Take part 2 of all 3 courses next semester, take a review course in the summer, and take MCAT in August?

Members don't see this ad.

How did you do the first time?
If you scored above 27 (9 each section), take in April with light courseload and review course.
If you scored below 27, finish pre-req's then retake in August.

TheMightyAngus said:
How did you do the first time?
If you scored above 27 (9 each section), take in April with light courseload and review course.
If you scored below 27, finish pre-req's then retake in August.

Thanks for the reply. Any one else have any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with TheMightyAngus

Just skip the course that you feel confident about. If you don't feel confident about all 3 courses, just take the MCAT in august. Good luck. It sucks to hear the news that people will be taking their MCATs... If I were a Kaplan/Priceton teacher I'd feel bad for my students.

RAD11 said:
Thanks for the reply. Any one else have any thoughts on this?

are you working full-time as well? i took everything at this same time plus the review course, but i wasnt working very much. definitely doable if you are in school full-time. if you are trying balance other things as well, you might wait until august.

I'd take all the prereqs again, and then take the August MCAT. And in the summer I'd focus on the MCAT by retaking a course if you've already taken one, or taking another course if you didn't like the one you used before.

If I recall correctly, I remember you mentioning having taken Kaplan, back in June. I would redo Kaplan and use all their practice materials.......subject tests, topical tests, full lengths, qbank etc. after you've thoroughly finished the prereqs again.

Since it has been sooooooooo long since you took the prereqs, having great grades in the prereqs now will also help you in your chances for admissions. It did with my friends anyhow. Oh and that way you'll have the material down.

So in summary: Finish the prereqs in Spring.
Take MCAT in august, so you can spend WHOLE SUMMER studying for the MCAT with full concentration. Don't take on a full time job either that semester. Good luck.

gujuDoc said:
I'd take all the prereqs again, and then take the August MCAT. And in the summer I'd focus on the MCAT by retaking a course if you've already taken one, or taking another course if you didn't like the one you used before.

If I recall correctly, I remember you mentioning having taken Kaplan, back in June. I would redo Kaplan and use all their practice materials.......subject tests, topical tests, full lengths, qbank etc. after you've thoroughly finished the prereqs again.

Since it has been sooooooooo long since you took the prereqs, having great grades in the prereqs now will also help you in your chances for admissions. It did with my friends anyhow. Oh and that way you'll have the material down.

So in summary: Finish the prereqs in Spring.
Take MCAT in august, so you can spend WHOLE SUMMER studying for the MCAT with full concentration. Don't take on a full time job either that semester. Good luck.

I was working part-time the beginning of this semester but had to quit because I wanted to concentrate on just school work.

I know that the organic on the MCAT is supposed to be only 30% of the bio section but when I took it last April, I remember getting several orgo passages (can't remember how many exactly) but a few ppl that I spoke with who also took the MCAT this past April or August only had 1 or 2. Another friend of mine who took the MCAT this August advised me to take an upper bio course (which focuses on metabolism, enzymes, gene expression, dna, chemistry concepts, etc) instead of orgo II as she said this will be more helpful. Oh so many courses, so little time!