What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brown429

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to medical school and I have a year before i matriculate (fall 08). I am basically finishing up my last few classes for undergrad this semester. I am doing some research in the summer...but I really dont like ressearch I am doing it to get departmental honors(writing a thesis paper and the works) when I officially graduate next year. I have a year to do something...and all i have planned so far is to take immunology and anatomy (1 class per semester) because it will help me in med school from what i hear from others @ my future medical school.

I plan on travelling europe, hanging out with family/friends, ect. But what else would you guys do if you had the chance to take a year off as medical students that you could not do before?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, i wouldn't take any class. I had a year off between college and med school and worked in research for a year. I got paid well, had full benefits, and got to do a lot of things that i wouldn't have normally been able to do had i taken an extra class or so in addition.

I suggest picking up a nice hobby/sport...its nice to fall back on when the stress of med school gets to you. Also, take enough time to relax and just do nothing.

I have been accepted to medical school and I have a year before i matriculate (fall 08). I am basically finishing up my last few classes for undergrad this semester. I am doing some research in the summer...but I really dont like ressearch I am doing it to get departmental honors(writing a thesis paper and the works) when I officially graduate next year. I have a year to do something...and all i have planned so far is to take immunology and anatomy (1 class per semester) because it will help me in med school from what i hear from others @ my future medical school.

I plan on travelling europe, hanging out with family/friends, ect. But what else would you guys do if you had the chance to take a year off as medical students that you could not do before?

Why would you do that to yourself??? I suggest taking classes that you're interested in if you're going to torture yourself: Intro to beer brewing would be my personal choice...I just worked for a year in research, partied, went to Hawaii and hung out with my friends/family/gf because they're all that really matters at the end of the day (and they're the first thing that gets put by the wayside for the books).

If I'm you, I'd stack the two classes together in the fall and finish up ASAP and just soak up life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely take time to travel and spend time with your friends and family because both activities will be in short supply when you matriculate. The only other advice I have is to try to find a job that will allow you to set some money aside. Depending on how your school sets up your student loan budget you might find it useful to have a little extra "fun" money around.

I'm starting 07 and i took a year off as well. I worked as an ER Tech and I think it is the thing anyone could do before medical school. I have gotten great experience I never would have if going right from undergrad to med school. All I had to do was get certified in phlebotomy and EKG, quick classes. If your considering this route and have more questions send me a pm

Definitely do something fun. I was a ski instructor, logged over 100 days on the slopes, and now I bike my days away and wait tables at night. No better way I would have spent this year before buckling down for school.