what would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perseverant 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am convinced my MCAT score is keeping me from being accepted. i have taken the MCAT 3 times with only a very slight improvement. I have taken a review course, but it didn't help much. Anxiety seems to be my problem.
Has anyone else been in this situation? How did you overcome it and did you gain admission? Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!:(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi perseverent,

How are you doing on the practice exams? If you are doing well on those, then it has to be anxiety. You could consider speaking with a counselor or the like. I'm sure they encounter many students in the same boat...whether it is students taking just a regular classroom exam or students taking big standardized tests such as the mcat, I'm sure they have a type of plan to deal with it.

1) Take as many full-length practice tests as you can after you have reviewed all of the various subjects. The more full-lengths you do the better your endurance and confidence will be.

2) If you have scored well on your practice tests in the past, then is may very well be anxiety that is holding you back. One of the most common therapies used to help people overcome phobias and related anxiety is repetitive exposure to the situation which provokes the anxiety. Again, keep doing full-length exams to help you feel comfortable with the exam process. If possible try to take some of the exams in the building or room the MCAT will be held at.

3) See a professional to help you deal with your test anxiety. I used self-hypnosis to help me focus before the start of the MCAT and it helped me focus. There are lots of things you can try out now so that you will have confidence in April.

4) Be very sure that you are well prepared and not using anxiety as an excuse for your past performance. In other words, if anxiety was never the real issue you will be wasting study time trying to learn relaxation techniques. MCAT performance is wrapped up in a combination of stress management, endurance training and your general knowledge of the material. Just don't focus on one area!

Best of luck to you!