What would you do??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MySweetBaboo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that the time has come to decide where I want to study next year, I have found myself torn between two schools.

I was accepted at Northwestern, Syracuse, and Towson (I already eliminated Towson). Ironically, I have applied to seven schools and these are the only 3 that I heard back from.

This is my dillema:

I visited Northwestern and I absolutely loved it. The faculty I met with were very helpful and spent a lot of time meeting with me. The resources were also amazing, and having a clinical experience in downtown chicago at Northwestern's Hospital seems hard to pass up. But, they are not giving me any money and GAs are reserved for only Phd students.

Syracuse, on the other hand, is paying for my first year and on top of that is giving me a GA. However, the funding is not renewable for second year students and there is no guarantee that I will have the GA my second year. Also, even though, I visited I still don't know as much about the program. Is there a reason less people apply to Syracuse??

What would you do? Would you go to perhaps a more known program without funding, coupled with a high price of living. Or a program, that is maybe less known (?), where I will acquire less debt?

Are there any stats out there about where you graduate and the amount of money you are making?

What do you think. Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

MySweetBaboo, first and foremost, you got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em. Know when to walk away and know when to run. You never count your money when youre sittin at the table. Therell be time enough for countin when the dealins done.

i didn't apply to syracuse because i'm from upstate new york and most people i know who went there hate the city, even though the university is great. also i could never convince my boyfriend to move there, who is also from upstate.

even though the city is kind of a dump, the surrounding areas are beautiful and there is tons of nature. i wouldn't rule it out, and i don't think there's anything wrong with the program. syracuse is a very good university and widely known. one of the professors i met at maryland got her phd there and she loved it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a reason less people apply to Syracuse??

Are there any stats out there about where you graduate and the amount of money you are making?

More people apply to Northwestern because it's one of the best programs in the country. However, the program you graduate from will not directly impact your salary. Indirectly, the education you receive from that program or the university name on your transcript may. For example, if you are better educated you may get a better position or if you are being compared to applicants from lesser known programs than the Northwestern name may give you an advantage.

Hi,
I am an international student. can u give me an outline of graduate assistanships... What is that actually? I am wondering whether we have enough time to do that since the Au.d program is somewhat rigorous...any advice is appreciated...

So now that the time has come to decide where I want to study next year, I have found myself torn between two schools.

I was accepted at Northwestern, Syracuse, and Towson (I already eliminated Towson). Ironically, I have applied to seven schools and these are the only 3 that I heard back from.

This is my dillema:

I visited Northwestern and I absolutely loved it. The faculty I met with were very helpful and spent a lot of time meeting with me. The resources were also amazing, and having a clinical experience in downtown chicago at Northwestern's Hospital seems hard to pass up. But, they are not giving me any money and GAs are reserved for only Phd students.

Syracuse, on the other hand, is paying for my first year and on top of that is giving me a GA. However, the funding is not renewable for second year students and there is no guarantee that I will have the GA my second year. Also, even though, I visited I still don't know as much about the program. Is there a reason less people apply to Syracuse??

What would you do? Would you go to perhaps a more known program without funding, coupled with a high price of living. Or a program, that is maybe less known (?), where I will acquire less debt?

What do you think. Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it!! :)

a graduate assistantship is where you get some degree of tuition remission (either 5 or ten credits per semester, or something like that) and a small stipend in exchange for working ten or twenty hours per week. there are usually some other benefits as well.

most AuD programs offer ten hour assistantships as it's difficult to do 20, and they don't have enough money to fully support people. but many people also manage to take on 20 hour/week commitments as well, if some of the hours can be performed outside 9-5.

a graduate assistantship is where you get some degree of tuition remission (either 5 or ten credits per semester, or something like that) and a small stipend in exchange for working ten or twenty hours per week. there are usually some other benefits as well.

most AuD programs offer ten hour assistantships as it's difficult to do 20, and they don't have enough money to fully support people. but many people also manage to take on 20 hour/week commitments as well, if some of the hours can be performed outside 9-5.
Thanks for the reply... what about the nature of work...? where are you joining for Au.D this fall?

MySweetBaboo, first and foremost, you got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em. Know when to walk away and know when to run. You never count your money when youre sittin at the table. Therell be time enough for countin when the dealins done.

that's funny!

the work for a GA could be administrative, clinical, or research-related.