What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

destroyMCAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT is in 2 days on 8/19/11. My PS scores have been ranging in the 9-11, BS 10-11, and verbal 5-8. :scared: Honestly, I'd be happy with a score of 27. I don't know if I should keep practicing verbal the next 2 days or take my last AAMC 11 and review.
I'm so frustrated with myself. I should have practiced verbal from the beginning since I knew that was my weakness. I had taken the MCAT last year, and had all of my verbal scores in the 8 range, and got a 4 on the real deal. I guess it was fear and how much I dread this section that I put it off.
1. should I postpone until 8/23 or 9/1. Would that have a big impact on my application since I'm applying this cycle?
2. or should I just take it on 8/19, and just hope for the best. If I do decent, great. If not, I'll retake it in 2012. I really, really want to get in this cycle and just move on with my life and not be in this MCAT situation again.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My MCAT is in 2 days on 8/19/11. My PS scores have been ranging in the 9-11, BS 10-11, and verbal 5-8. :scared: Honestly, I'd be happy with a score of 27. I don't know if I should keep practicing verbal the next 2 days or take my last AAMC 11 and review.
I'm so frustrated with myself. I should have practiced verbal from the beginning since I knew that was my weakness. I had taken the MCAT last year, and had all of my verbal scores in the 8 range, and got a 4 on the real deal. I guess it was fear and how much I dread this section that I put it off.
1. should I postpone until 8/23 or 9/1. Would that have a big impact on my application since I'm applying this cycle?
2. or should I just take it on 8/19, and just hope for the best. If I do decent, great. If not, I'll retake it in 2012. I really, really want to get in this cycle and just move on with my life and not be in this MCAT situation again.

the same EXACT thing happened with me, and I took the mcat in jan this year and got a 4. I practiced verbal this time around...so like yourself I am praying. I just took AAMC 3 a few days ago and got a 9. what did you get on AAMC 10 in verbal? obviously the actual verbal is harder, so take your verbal and subtract 1-2 from it. If you can live with that score, take the test, if not, don't. If you don't think you'll make an 8 or higher, I would postpone. Depending on your state, and where you applied, youll prob get screened out at most schools, since most have cut-offs. Plus, if you get a low score again, it will show your inability to prepare a second time through, which will undoubtedly hurt your chances. Unfortunately, this is the reality we face, so you might as well not take and take the time to really read and practice verbal. Read every single day, you'd be amazed how much it helps. I am applying next cycle, bc I know its too late in the game and that a 4 in verbal will do me no good. I am hoping for a 8+ but will prob not retake if i get a 7 in verbal and 10+ in sciences. goodluck

Postponing a few days to 8/23 or 9/1 will not be enough time to make improvements.

If I were you I personally wouldn't sit. You look like you are headed towards another bad score. It would look terrible for your application to have 2 MCAT sittings where you did poor in both. It makes it look like you are simply unable to handle the information. If you got another ~25 score (you might have gotten lower last time, who knows),you would need to show a very huge increase in your 3rd sitting, which seems unlikely to happen from what I can see.

However, if you are dead set on applying this cycle, I guess you have no alternatives besides taking the test.

I don't know if posponing will help, only you do. But at this point, there may not even be any seats open. Goodluck!

I think you know the answer to the first question - your application not being complete until the end of September would obviously hurt you, ESPECIALLY since, more than likely, your MCAT score is going to be average at best. If you're going to delay the test, I would wait until the winter or spring and plan on applying next year so that you have plenty of time to study.

I say take it the 19th....I'm taking it the 19th, too! And, my VR score has been just as terrible! (sorry to call your score terrible, but you catch my drift)...I took the MCAT prior and my VR was really bad, which explains my re-taking...you can do it, just maintain focus on those passages...remember, answer what the question is asking, not what you want to answer. :luck: