What would you guys have done in this situation?

Started by twester
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

twester

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an intern at Walgreen's. As I was selling a pt a script for cephalexin, a DUR popped up. I asked the pharmacist to look at it and he told me to advise the patient to stop the medication if he "itched" since the patient was "allergic" to penicillin.

I didn't think to second-guess him, but looked it up when I got home. It turns out cross-reactions are possible. I have an image in my head that I helped send someone straight down the road to anaphylaxis.

I did describe anaphylaxis to the patient and told him to seek immediate medical attention if it happened. Did I do my job properly?
 
I'm an intern at Walgreen's. As I was selling a pt a script for cephalexin, a DUR popped up. I asked the pharmacist to look at it and he told me to advise the patient to stop the medication if he "itched" since the patient was "allergic" to penicillin.

I didn't think to second-guess him, but looked it up when I got home. It turns out cross-reactions are possible. I have an image in my head that I helped send someone straight down the road to anaphylaxis.

I did describe anaphylaxis to the patient and told him to seek immediate medical attention if it happened. Did I do my job properly?

Cross reactivity is like 5-7%. And why would you second guess him? This occurs a few times a day and the patient is always counseled. You did the right thing by counseling but patients usually tolerate cephalexin pretty good.
 
I'm an intern at Walgreen's. As I was selling a pt a script for cephalexin, a DUR popped up. I asked the pharmacist to look at it and he told me to advise the patient to stop the medication if he "itched" since the patient was "allergic" to penicillin.

I didn't think to second-guess him, but looked it up when I got home. It turns out cross-reactions are possible. I have an image in my head that I helped send someone straight down the road to anaphylaxis.

I did describe anaphylaxis to the patient and told him to seek immediate medical attention if it happened. Did I do my job properly?

Yup... but 16 years in Pharmacy and 12 years as a pharmacist, I think I can count with one hand where patient who is allergic to PCN had a cross sensitivity to cephalosporin...even though the literature says 5 to 15%...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yup... but 16 years in Pharmacy and 12 years as a pharmacist, I think I can count with one hand where patient who is allergic to PCN had a cross sensitivity to cephalosporin...even though the literature says 5 to 15%...

Thanks for the quick replies. I feel better. I probably second-guessed just because of the pharmacist's personality, my own noob-ness and the craziness of this particular location.
 
Thanks for the quick replies. I feel better. I probably second-guessed just because of the pharmacist's personality, my own noob-ness and the craziness of this particular location.

No sweat...thats what were here for...🙄
 
The thread is yours. I got my question answered. Open another bottle... 🙄
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Obviously... The extended right pinkie is a real ATP-burner.

Sorry, I never learned not to criticize a drunk's typing skills. 😉

not drunk...one glass of wine...just sleepy again... until later today...lata...yeah, im a wuss😀
 
wish i had been drunk all night posting....once again, just say no to double shifts!

ps - to the OP, we have a policy to NOT call the MD in the case of cef's for PCN-allergic patients. and the risk decreases also as you go up in cef generations.
 
Yup... but 16 years in Pharmacy and 12 years as a pharmacist, I think I can count with one hand where patient who is allergic to PCN had a cross sensitivity to cephalosporin...even though the literature says 5 to 15%...

I'm allergic to both, and am also allergic to quinolones. It made for a fun time when I got my wound infection....🙄