What would you have done?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OUTexan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A week and a half ago, a woman brought in a Rx for Humaira. She knew it would need a prior auth. and just told us to take care of it. I faxed the doctor and put the rx on hold until we heard back from the doctor. We did not have any Humaira on hand, so I decided not to order it because I did not want it to just sit and expire until the insurance would pay for it. The patient came in tonight and was upset that it was not taken care of. She said it was our fault because her doctor's office would have taken care of it right away. Well, we could not find the fax, but I figure it got thrown away a few days after it was faxed (I do remember faxing). We did not have any on hand either. Luckily, a store down the road had some that we loaned her. What would you have done in that situation? Would you have ordered the expensive product or would you have waited for the insurance to pay for it before you would have ordered it?

Members don't see this ad.

A week and a half ago, a woman brought in a Rx for Humaira. She knew it would need a prior auth. and just told us to take care of it. I faxed the doctor and put the rx on hold until we heard back from the doctor. We did not have any Humaira on hand, so I decided not to order it because I did not want it to just sit and expire until the insurance would pay for it. The patient came in tonight and was upset that it was not taken care of. She said it was our fault because her doctor's office would have taken care of it right away. Well, we could not find the fax, but I figure it got thrown away a few days after it was faxed (I do remember faxing). We did not have any on hand either. Luckily, a store down the road had some that we loaned her. What would you have done in that situation? Would you have ordered the expensive product or would you have waited for the insurance to pay for it before you would have ordered it?

Not sure if it's returnable...but if it is, I would have ordered it... what would I have done? I would have stayed in TX to go to school.. :smuggrin:

I would have ordered it since the company I work for only cares about customer service. yes its expensive but compared to the hundreds of thousands a store has in inventory 1 or 2 boxes of Humira wont break the bank for a large chain (If you work for a large chain that is). Anyway, I would have just ordered it and if the lady never came back for it, I may have returned it or just kept it it until it expired.

Members don't see this ad :)

Take care of the patient...Its not your money.

We have a patient on Thalidomide. Doctor changed the strength so we ordered the new strength. Needed a prior auth on the new strength which the Doc did not want to do. Doc uses the the same stength and had the patient double up every other day. I now have $8000.00 in Thalidomide on my shelf untill it expires in '09.

Take care of the patient...always.

Now if I was the actual owner of the Pharmacy...Hummm a different question all together.....

Take care of the patient...Its not your money.

We have a patient on Thalidomide. Doctor changed the strength so we ordered the new strength. Needed a prior auth on the new strength which the Doc did not want to do. Doc uses the the same stength and had the patient double up every other day. I now have $8000.00 in Thalidomide on my shelf untill it expires in '09.

Take care of the patient...always.

Now if I was the actual owner of the Pharmacy...Hummm a different question all together.....

100% agreed.

I'm actually at a rotation with a pharmacist who owns his own joint right now. If the *prospect* of losing money on a script exists, he will tell a person to **** off in a heartbeat. There are exceptions (profits from patients other Rxs exceed losses on other drug, etc.)

I'm actually at a rotation with a pharmacist who owns his own joint right now. If the *prospect* of losing money on a script exists, he will tell a person to **** off in a heartbeat. There are exceptions (profits from patients other Rxs exceed losses on other drug, etc.)

thats why it depends if you work for a large chain. If it were my own store, it would be a different story. a $300000 inventory (small independent) is different than a large chain ($1000000 inventory). I cant say that I wouldn't do or think the same (did I say that right?)

I have a lady on Humira, and my pharmacist will NOT under ANY circumstances order it from McKesson :)thumbdown) unless he sees a paid claim. It's partly because McKesson won't take it back. Or Enbrel. Or Procrit.

I have a lady on Humira, and my pharmacist will NOT under ANY circumstances order it from McKesson :)thumbdown) unless he sees a paid claim. It's partly because McKesson won't take it back. Or Enbrel. Or Procrit.

i assume he's an independent pharmacist?

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago (I work for a large chain). The lady needed Zyvox (a $2000 drug) but insurance said a PA is needed. When I was at a different pharmacy, we'd always order. So I went ahead and ordered it (w/o knowing how much the drug cost) and my super nice boss just told me that for future reference, do not, under any circumstances, order until the claim is paid for (I really do love my boss :love: ). My boss said they don't want the drug to sit on the shelf & expire. Thankfully the PA went thru :)

So yes, I would have done the same thing as you. :thumbup: I won't order until the claim is paid for.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry to hijack your thread but what ab what you would you do in this situation:

1 time i had some guy blow off some major steam at one of hte pharmacy employees (not the pharmacist) all because his prescription was not ready. Someone from the MD's office phoned (Voicemail) in a prescription for Effexor. The person who phoned it in was not very professional--disclosed only the patient's name and the drug info (sig), but no verifying information like DOB, home phone #, address, etc.

I basically set the prescription aside and was gonna wait till the pt came in to get additional info before filling it. My intentions: when pt comes in, get info & update system and it takes only like 5 min to type, have the pharmacist double check typing, fill, & have pharmacist double check fill.

I really think it's an inconivenience (more time) to a busy pharmacy to create a fake (incomplete) profile just to get a label, fill the drug, have it sit on the shelf (w/ a note that says to get pt info), then get pt info when pt shows up, go back and update it in the computer, then reprint the leaflets for the pt (so the pt goes home w/ updated info) (waste of paper too). Plus, w/o any other verifying info (not even a DOB), there's more room for errors (someone else w/ the same name gets the med).

Which method does your pharmacy go by?

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago (I work for a large chain). The lady needed Zyvox (a $2000 drug) but insurance said a PA is needed. When I was at a different pharmacy, we'd always order. So I went ahead and ordered it (w/o knowing how much the drug cost) and my super nice boss just told me that for future reference, do not, under any circumstances, order until the claim is paid for (I really do love my boss :love: ). My boss said they don't want the drug to sit on the shelf & expire. Thankfully the PA went thru :)

So yes, I would have done the same thing as you. :thumbup: I won't order until the claim is paid for.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry to hijack your thread but what ab what you would you do in this situation:

1 time i had some guy blow off some major steam at one of hte pharmacy employees (not the pharmacist) all because his prescription was not ready. Someone from the MD's office phoned (Voicemail) in a prescription for Effexor. The person who phoned it in was not very professional--disclosed only the patient's name and the drug info (sig), but no verifying information like DOB, home phone #, address, etc.

I basically set the prescription aside and was gonna wait till the pt came in to get additional info before filling it. My intentions: when pt comes in, get info & update system and it takes only like 5 min to type, have the pharmacist double check typing, fill, & have pharmacist double check fill.

I really think it's an inconivenience (more time) to a busy pharmacy to create a fake (incomplete) profile just to get a label, fill the drug, have it sit on the shelf (w/ a note that says to get pt info), then get pt info when pt shows up, go back and update it in the computer, then reprint the leaflets for the pt (so the pt goes home w/ updated info) (waste of paper too). Plus, w/o any other verifying info (not even a DOB), there's more room for errors (someone else w/ the same name gets the med).

Which method does your pharmacy go by?

Why not call the dotor back and get the info? If it was after hours, we just create a profile with "need info" that way if the patient comes in we can locate the rx quicker. The perception that the rx is done and we only need his info is better than not having anything produced for the patient. Thats just how we do it, but i guess its the PIC preference. You are right about the DOB and demographics, very important!

Re: Prior Authorizations (PAs).. Here was the problem... COMMUNICATION.

Why not call up the patient and let him/her know that you are waiting on a prior auth from his/her doctor. That way, you don't have them coming in saying, "WHERE'S MY MEDS?!?! DR. SAID I COULD HAVE EM. WHY DIDN'T U TELL ME!" Then You'd have to be there (and it always happens during rush hours) explaining to a P.O.'d patient what a PA is and what insurance is and what a doctor's office should have done (PRIORLY).

One could always be nice (and pharmacists will still be #1 in patient trustworthiness) without having to spend $8000 ordering a product in the blind! Independents, for the most part, would never do this without the approval. Retail, yes, you have more financial backing to order such a product, but, still Corporate and a lot of districts do keep records of pharmacies and their ordering/spending practices. Be careful if you put your name to an $8,000 product. A minute of inconvenience does not = $8,000 and still does not trump a necessary PA. Couldn't these be delivered by the next day to the pharmacy? There needs to be policy in this grey area... Perhaps there is. Otherwise it's you spending the company's money... Just think: would you bet $8,000 of your paycheck (or future pay) on that?

You could always tell the patient [beforehand], that:

"I totally understand your situation. Usually if we're waiting on insurance to get back to us regarding PAs, we could offer you a chance to pay cash for it so you can have it sooner. But the price without insurance is $8000, so I'm assuming you'd like to wait until it is cleared by your doctor. Am I correct? [Pt. X will be stunned, perhaps a 'WTF!?', a few :eek:s, then you go in for the educational insurance-broker aspect of pharmacy->]And that's exactly the reason why we can't give an emergency supply or order this medication, until your doctor contacts your insurance company. The price of this medicine is VERY high and I totally agree with you. That's why we're doing all we can to get your doctor's office to authorize this for you. I just wanted to let you know this before you come into the pharmacy and you can contact your doctor at ###-#### and let him know you really need this medication through your insurance. And I'll follow up, on my calls, as well, and keep you updated on where we're at."

1) call the doctor's office.
2) call insurance company to follow up
3) check prices should you need to order the product.
4) Alert the patient to the status of the RX, BEFOREHAND (by phone or other communications).
5) ALWAYS AGREE with the patient - they need to know what's going on when you speak to them and explain it so they know we're in the middle of this doctor-insurance communication. And NEVER, are we keeping them from their medications.

They're only pissed off because they got to your pharmacy and no one told them anything. And, at that point, you're telling them something they don't want to hear.

Sometimes a patient cannot be contacted even if you got the search hounds out looking for 'em, and would still come into your store complaining that they were never told of this. So, document that you have attempted calling in the Profile notes, on the Rx, or wherever pertinent. Also, you could ask the doctor's office if they have a more up-to-date contact for this patient. Even get them on the case... as well they should be... It's not enough just to call the doctor once and put the Rx on hold. You will get ZERO credit for that. It totally sucks....

Lastly, not all patients are logical. You need to do your best to explain the reasons behind this. But you also need to be documenting and following a procedure, so that at least your supervisors and other sentient beings will understand your efforts.

Sincerely,
no-see-um

Why not call the dotor back and get the info? If it was after hours, we just create a profile with "need info" that way if the patient comes in we can locate the rx quicker. The perception that the rx is done and we only need his info is better than not having anything produced for the patient. Thats just how we do it, but i guess its the PIC preference. You are right about the DOB and demographics, very important!

Dr. M:

I would have except the MD failed to leave a DEA or a phone # and I tried hosting the Dr's info but could not find his contact information. The pt was upset that we were so unprofessional since, according to him, his Dr. friend (not even his PCP when I found his record later w/ a birthdate!) phoned in a prescription for an anti-depressant 1 hour ago and nothing was ready. He should make more professional friends that leave more verification info, IMO. The pt himself should've been more professional too--he was a male nurse (came in his scrubs) who was leaning more than half of his body over the counter to prove his point that he was the man...=/ I guess he thought he could get special treatment b/c of his job status. =/

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. M:

I would have except the MD failed to leave a DEA or a phone # and I tried hosting the Dr's info but could not find his contact information. The pt (a male nurse) was upset that we were so unprofessional since, according to him, his Dr. friend (not even his PCP when I found his record later w/ a birthdate!) phoned in a prescription for an anti-depressant 1 hour ago and nothing was ready. He should make more professional friends that leave more verification info, IMO.

I see. That is a tough situation. A doctor who doesn't leave any info will get a call from me when I get the info and will be asked to leave all pertinent information. You could always :beat:!!:)

I see. That is a tough situation. A doctor who doesn't leave any info will get a call from me when I get the info and will be asked to leave all pertinent information. You could always :beat:!!:)

Yep. I don't fill until I get pertinent info. I call the doctor back or put it for a next day call.

But what do you do if they come in that night... good question... The poster said it was a voice mail. The problem with voice mail is that there is no record of the RECORDing, ironically, after the pharmacists/interns take 'em. In my opinion, there should always be a storage of voicemail recordings at least for a few days that go into a database (especially the problem verbals). There's totally no CYA to voicemail. They could leave terrible prescriptions and you're still the one with the problem because you wrote it down and deleted the call-in. Patient goes to the doctor the next morning in a fury, Dr. says, "OF COURSE I GAVE MY DEA # What kind of pharmacy they running there?!". Hell, even the other pharmacists would be second-guessing (unless they trust your documentation) because there's no record.

no-see-um, at my store we never call the pt to tell them we're waiting on the PA. What happens is: drop off rx ==> inform pt before pt leaves that this will require a PA and give pt our business card to ask pt to call us 72 hours from now before coming in to make sure PA is ready (our reasoning is sometimes we get so busy that we may forget to call, hey stuff happens). We never ever call the pt unless we slow down and get to catch up on the paperwork. Instead, we just keep calling the MD's office daily.

In this case the pt KNEW IN ADVANCE a PA was required (seems to suggest they know how a PA works and how long it may take and hence should've called prior to coming in). seems like a jack-@$$ of a pt to me. :smuggrin:

oh and if pt shows out w/o calling us 1st and we still don't have the PA yet, we show them all the documentation that we've been following up on the PA and then we tell them that if they'd like to expedite the process, they encourage them to call their MD. They are the rate-limiting step most of the time!!!

no-see-um, at my store we never call the pt to tell them we're waiting on the PA. What happens is: drop off rx ==> inform pt before pt leaves that this will require a PA and give pt our business card to ask pt to call us 72 hours from now before coming in to make sure PA is ready (our reasoning is sometimes we get so busy that we may forget to call, hey stuff happens). We never ever call the pt unless we slow down and get to catch up on the paperwork. Instead, we just keep calling the MD's office daily.

I see. That's fine if they dropped off the Rx. If it were called in for them, or if he/she left the store before it was entered, then I would spend 1 of those many calls to the doctor, which I would be doing- probably without much patient gratification- and call to the patient to alert him/her that it needs a PA.

In this case the pt KNEW IN ADVANCE a PA was required (seems to suggest they know how a PA works and how long it may take and hence should've called prior to coming in). seems like a jack-@$$ of a pt to me. :smuggrin:

Ok, this is a different story then. This CUSTOMER is an arse. Because you have treated him well as a patient by informing him of the status, already. You did your job. He is acting like he is at a fast-food drive-through versus a pharmacy, and isn't sentient enough to see the logic of the situation. Guy wants his chalupas lickity-split.

oh and if pt shows out w/o calling us 1st and we still don't have the PA yet, we show them all the documentation that we've been following up on the PA and then we tell them that if they'd like to expedite the process, they encourage them to call their MD. They are the rate-limiting step most of the time!!!

Exactly, the office is the rate-limiting step. Just educate the patient and let them know that. Things move faster when the patient calls the office.

Documenting the calls to the MD is one thing. But patient doesn't care... Patient wants to know, "WHY DID I JSUT DRIVE 20 MINUTES TO YOUR PHARMACY at 4pm AND NOW YOU'RE TELLING ME YOU HAVE NOTHING FOR ME AFTER THE DOCTOR CALLED IT IN IN THE MORNING!! WHY DID YOU GUYS NOT TELL ME YOU CAN'T FILL IT?! I DON'T WANT TO PAY CASH FOR THIS NOW. I WANT 3 TABLETS FOR FREE UNTIL YOU GET THE PA!" (this happens...)

What pisses off a patient, in this scenario, is that they get there and there's nothing for them. A logbook of phone calls to the doctor isn't what they want to see (illogical, of course) 9 hours later.

And so... I always fire off a call to the patient when I'm working on the Prescription, right after I call the doctor- just so a patient doesn't walk in saying, "No one ever called ME". And if they don't have a number or it's out of service, then you can ask for it when they come in and hint that you'd have needed that to communicate this!

They problem about our Humaira was that I put it on hold to begin with. At drop off, patient knew it would need a PA, so I ran it through insurance and of course, the patient was right. I put it on hold and usually I go through our PA box (fax sheets to the MD) about every 2 or 3 days. So, I figured I'd rerun it again in a few days and refax if need be. Unfortunately, someone else got to the box before I did and probably trashed it. It happens. It was our fault. We probably didn't follow up like we should have, but we did send a fax. Oh well, hopefully it will go through since we have given her a box.

Does your pharmacy have a place for RX that need a PA but you will have to order? I know we had a very similar problem with a PA on zyvox. The doctor that prescribed it said they would not do the PA since it was a hospital Doc. Then, I don't know who to fax to get the PA to go through. Unfortunately, the patient never received the zyvox. I know I put this RX on hold again, but I kept up with the PA fax sheet.

Another funny story happened a few days ago when a man came to pick up his child's singulair script. It was filled on 6/30 and was taken off of insurance 14 days later. He comes back on July 17 once the rx is already on file and taken off of insurance. We run it on the insurance, and come to find out the insurance is a free coupon that expired on 6/30. The patient was unaware that we had to put scripts back on hold after 14 days. He complained that we had not called him. However, we had noted on the old label (we use this as our on-hold scripts) that we had called on Day 6. Luckily, after 2 hours, I was able to get the coupon to go through.

Wouldn't life be easier without insurances and coupons? However, I might be one of the few that get a kick out of how funny people are and actually enjoy seeing 1 out of 300 upset customers about their insurance plans.

When I am not busy, I am more courteous and call. However, w/ the advent of our $4 Rx, I am very rarely not busy at Wal-Mart. Hence, I can say I rarely call pts--most of the time, I call doctors for various reasons. I do not call the pt if:

1) the customer is a arse and comes to my pharmacy only for $4. Sorry, buddy, I got 500 other people ahead of ya. It's easier for him to call me than for me to post a bajillion stickies to remind myself to call Mr. Important. I know I won't lose him as a customer 'cuz he's just gonna go to another Wal-Mart. Sounds mean but he's getting his med for $4 where the same med costs $36 at Rite-Aid. Seems like the $4 Rx Plan has made people become even ruder by the day!!!!!!!!!!!

2) the customer is just a plain arse (i.e. rude, narcotic shopping, etc). The more b*tching, whining, demanding, the less I cater to them. On the other hand, the nicer they are, the more courteous I am. A nice inverse relationship.

Retail is stressful enough. Unless the person is #1 in my book or is a big spender at my pharmacy, sorry, gotta play the system like every1 else.

When I am not busy, I am more courteous and call. However, w/ the advent of our $4 Rx, I am very rarely not busy at Wal-Mart. Hence, I can say I rarely call pts--most of the time, I call doctors for various reasons. I do not call the pt if:

1) the customer is a arse and comes to my pharmacy only for $4. Sorry, buddy, I got 500 other people ahead of ya. It's easier for him to call me than for me to post a bajillion stickies to remind myself to call Mr. Important. I know I won't lose him as a customer 'cuz he's just gonna go to another Wal-Mart. Sounds mean but he's getting his med for $4 where the same med costs $36 at Rite-Aid. Seems like the $4 Rx Plan has made people become even ruder by the day!!!!!!!!!!!

2) the customer is just a plain arse (i.e. rude, narcotic shopping, etc). The more b*tching, whining, demanding, the less I cater to them. On the other hand, the nicer they are, the more courteous I am. A nice inverse relationship.

Retail is stressful enough. Unless the person is #1 in my book or is a big spender at my pharmacy, sorry, gotta play the system like every1 else.

agree with you. I will call the patient if civility was in the conversation. Any rude or obnoxiuos behavior, and ill be happy to fax the rx to walmart, just give me the fax number. I cant believe that people who wanted me match walmart $4. I once had a lady wanting me to match the $4 on generic zofran and brand emend. I said im sorry but yur 10 pills of zofran come out to be $336 and emend has no generic. She said well then i will just transfer them to walmart I said OK. She wound up filling them with me, but come on, if I were having chemo, the last thing on my mind would be $4 walmart or $10 copay. Anyway, I love retail....

hmmm... I do it pretty much to to 'prevent fires'. I have worked at a place that does about 600 Rxs a day, and still called patient on every PA. Always time. I try not to judge folks by the copay or the drug. Different people have different financial problems and still entitled to know the status of their meds. The interesting thing, however, is that they could call themselves. But, most people will assume that an Rx is being filled if they do not get called that there is a problem. Some of the most 'nastiest', 'rude' and 'obnoxious' of people were the ones who think the pharmacy didn't care about telling them anything.

In the end, the $4 copay is a good deal. It allows those with low finances access to meds. It, still, does not devalue the already inflated prices on these meds, and it still doesn't devalue a patient. All it takes is one patient complaining like a baboon in your waiting area and you'd lose 5 patients paying the high copays. People are worth more than they look. I've seen this.

Anyways, interesting thread.

She wound up filling them with me, but come on, if I were having chemo, the last thing on my mind would be $4 walmart or $10 copay. Anyway, I love retail....

You have the money for that.

It's the equivalent of saying:

"We have the meds you need to survive. Now pay me $336. Your wallet or your life." An the guy across the street is saying, "4 bucks and we'll cut you some slack".

No one likes to be gyped even with their lives on the line. Human nature.

For some chronic diseases today- for instance cancer- some of the medications to keep these people alive are extraordinarily high priced. Some patients who are contemplating advanced directive, for instance, for end of life procedures would request not to be put on life support so as not to financially impact their families because it costs a LOT and one may never be revived. Not all folks with cancer are running around and working like whirlwinds. It could really deplete someone financially.

Then there's another idea at work: No one feels like paying more. If the kid across the street is selling lemonade for 10 cents, and the kid on my block is selling it for $7.50, I'd go across the street. No one wants to feel like a sucker. Especially when it comes to their chronic medications.

You have the money for that.

It's the equivalent of saying:

"We have the meds you need to survive. Now pay me $336. Your wallet or your life." An the guy across the street is saying, "4 bucks and we'll cut you some slack".

No one likes to be gyped even with their lives on the line. Human nature.

For some chronic diseases today- for instance cancer- some of the medications to keep these people alive are extraordinarily high priced. Some patients who are contemplating advanced directive, for instance, for end of life procedures would request not to be put on life support so as not to financially impact their families because it costs a LOT and one may never be revived. Not all folks with cancer are running around and working like whirlwinds. It could really deplete someone financially.

Then there's another idea at work: No one feels like paying more. If the kid across the street is selling lemonade for 10 cents, and the kid on my block is selling it for $7.50, I'd go across the street. No one wants to feel like a sucker. Especially when it comes to their chronic medications.

Ahh, the patients copay was $10 and she wanted it for $4. She was not out of pocket and walmart does not have zofran on their list, so I said no, we will fill it under ins. I forgot to mention that, sorry.

umm... generic zofran is NOT $4. Not all the generics are. I have to say this everyday at work, but eventually people get it.

Thats gotta suck. I repeat P/A's everyday at work. I should just make a pamphlet on P/A's

Ahh, the patients copay was $10 and she wanted it for $4. She was not out of pocket and walmart does not have zofran on their list, so I said no, we will fill it under ins. I forgot to mention that, sorry.

I'd take it for $10. Not a big difference to me. Some folks, though, nickel and dime it. Especially those old ones who lived through the likes of Great-Depression style eras.

I'd take it for $10. Not a big difference to me. Some folks, though, nickel and dime it. Especially those old ones who lived through the likes of Great-Depression style eras.

I know really! $10 bucks for $336 worth of zofran and I dont price modify copays.