What would you pick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minhaj

Awesomeness Incarnate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets say that you get admitted into one of the top schools like JHU, Duke, Baylor or Vandi and you get into UAB with a full scholarship. What school would you pick?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Short answer: Take the money/scholarship and don't look back.

Long answer: Don't sacrifice good vibes just because of money. If you feel a bigger name school and its environment and whatnot can help you succeed, then go for it. But then again that's a very personal decision. You're the one who has to live with it.

I'm very happy at my no-name and inexpensive school. It's worked out better than I thought.

I think I would take my top choice, Mayo Clinic, over a full ride to anywhere else in the country, but every student at Mayo gets a scholarship so I don't know if that counts. Based on my research of Mayo, they seem to be a wonderful fit for who I want to become as a doctor.

UAB is a great school with high research activity. There is not a huge difference between the schools you listed and UAB in terms of quality or research activity. IMO, the true difference when it comes to choosing between schools is whether you are interested in patient care or research medicine. The highly ranked schools have distinguished research programs and more opportunities for students to engage in research. At Duke, for example, the basic science years are combined into the first year and the second year is left for research or another academic endeavor. In that regard, going to such a school might better position you for academic medicine. If the choice was between Duke and a patient care centered school such as FSU, then there may be more of a dilemma.

At Duke, for example, the basic science years are combined into the first year and the second year is left for research or another academic endeavor.
Minor correction- the research/dual degree year is in the 3rd year. 2nd year is for rotations.

wow, thanks for the responses guys! so what I inferred from the posts is that it really does not matter what medical school you go to, unless of course it is especially crappy. I was leaning towards UAB but just wanted some different perspectives. UAB is a pretty decent medical with good research activity like you guys said. I am really into cancer research and the other schools I mentioned are pioneers in research. Is there a way that one can go to UAB and apply for research oppurtunities at those universities during the summer? that would be pretty awesome.

wow, thanks for the responses guys! so what I inferred from the posts is that it really does not matter what medical school you go to, unless of course it is especially crappy. I was leaning towards UAB but just wanted some different perspectives. UAB is a pretty decent medical with good research activity like you guys said. I am really into cancer research and the other schools I mentioned are pioneers in research. Is there a way that one can go to UAB and apply for research oppurtunities at those universities during the summer? that would be pretty awesome.

Well unless you venture outside of the United States, you aren't going to find an especially "crappy" med-school. I'm not saying all schools are equal, but your choice of specialty will not be affected if you do well at any location you are at.

That being said, it is very common to spend a summer or even a rotation during your 3rd or 4th years at other institutions. Your school should be able to help you set this up relativity easily, and is a great way to boost your CV. For some competitive residencies, you need to "try out" for one of their positions for them to get a better look at you. This is done by doing a specific rotation in that field at that specific institution.

Hope that helps

All that being said, I would pick the $$$$$$$$$$$ hands down unless it meant being completely isolated from all of my support network, while the others had them very close by.

Take the money and run!

Of course you can do this! In fact, I would recommend it. Best of both worlds. Graduate with little debt and have connections at major top tier medical schools!

I thought UAB was a very good school, isnt it? I wish I could apply there, it's better than my state school.

I would definitely go there. You have your whole career to do research. And you could do it as a resident couldn't you? Like for instance if you happen to get a spot at one of those other 'top' schools you mentioned.

I know a guy at my school who got his MD somewhere else, then when he got a residency here, he also applied to the PhD program. So he will be an MD/ PhD, but he just did it in a different order.

Good luck and congrats on UAB. Seriously, I would apply there if I thought they'd consider me (OOS.) :(

Edited to add: I congratted you on UAB but then I looked at your mdapps and was confused as to whether this situation was hypothetical or not. :) so um, congrats on getting in or good luck getting in, whichever it is! :)

I'd pick my nose,

and then stop day dreaming, and get back to the application process

I'd definitely go where I got the full tuition scholarship.

Well by crappy I meant schools like Morehouse. thanks for the excellent advice guys! I think I have made up my mind. If I get a scholarship to UAB, which is likely I have spoken to admissions person, then thats definitely where I am going. Thanks for all the input!