what year to get pregnant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godislove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you must get pregnant while in pharmacy school, which year will be a good year for this. I mean which year is not too busy. I really need help please.

Members don't see this ad.

If you must get pregnant while in pharmacy school, which year will be a good year for this. I mean which year is not too busy. I really need help please.
god is love?

the answer to your question: none. If you want to make a career of yourself, take what you can from school. Don't create new priorities.

Most of my classmates chose P2 year. Don't know if it was intentional or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
The year after you graduate......

most of mine had them during rotations.

But there is nothing I hate more than being on rotation with a pregnant chick.

Who in the world must get pregnant any year?

Thank you all for your opinions. But in this case, it is a most within these four years else it might be too late. I understand all years are busy but I thought maybe first year might be introduction and review of basic sciences. so please suggest a year from your experience or general observation. thanks in advance.

I really don't have enough experience to know which year is best, but according to upperclassmen at my school, pretty much any year is good with the exception of having a baby right after P1 (because P2 is generally too stressful to handle with an infant)

I really don't have enough experience to know which year is best, but according to upperclassmen at my school, pretty much any year is good with the exception of having a baby right after P1 (because P2 is generally too stressful to handle with an infant)

again, school dependent. Our 2nd year isn't bad, but 3rd year is rough.

So, I think it's best to not have a kid during school. But, seriously, there is no best time to have a kid. Some people are luckier than others with how things work out, but for others, all times are busy and there's just no other option than to deal with two things that both demand a lot of time.

In a perfect world, women could have careers and families, and neither would suffer. But that's just not the case. If you're 20 and just got into pharmacy school, I'd wait until after to have a kid. But if you're older and in pharmacy school, you may have to have a kid in pharmacy school or just not have a kid. A woman's fertility does decrease. A friend of mine had a kid in grad school because her mother went through early menopause, and my friend knew it was a risk for her as well.

It'd might be best to not have an infant during the most stressful year (whether you're the mom or dad). It might be hard to be pregnant that year, too, as women never know how they go through pregnancy. It'd be easier to have a kid if you have a supportive spouse who has a job where they can take off for the kids' doctor appointments, sick days, etc.

I think it's a lot easier to be a guy and have a wife who is having a kid during pharmacy school! Not that it's easy, just that it's easier.

Thank you all for your opinions. But in this case, it is a most within these four years else it might be too late. I understand all years are busy but I thought maybe first year might be introduction and review of basic sciences. so please suggest a year from your experience or general observation. thanks in advance.

If you're running out of time, you might want to just go ahead and start trying now. I'm not speaking from experience (I'll be a P1 in the fall) but I would hate to see you miss your chance because you waited until the end of P2 to start trying. Also, if you are able to adjust your life during P1, things will only get easier as the little one gets older. If you could line it up for a birth in the summer, that would be the best, but of course it's not always possible to be that precise.

But I don't think there's a good year for a baby, and I don't think waiting until after school would be that much easier. Make sure you have an excellent support system and a spouse who is willing and able to take more than his fair share of the work load.

Get pregnant the last year.

If I were going to be pregnant during pharmacy school, I think I'd have two main concerns (besides how to handle two major time commitments!):

1) How to handle that pregnancy if it happened during the anatomy labs... anyone have classmates that were pregnant during that time of pharmacy school? I think it's unknown how much of a risk the preservatives are for a fetus.

2) How to handle the commitment for a pharmacy internship. Several internships require a full three- to four-year commitment. Obviously, most people who have children would want/need to take some time off, and I'm curious how this affects their internships.

I don't know if these are concerns for the OP, but I figured they're issues she/he should consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were going to be pregnant during pharmacy school, I think I'd have two main concerns (besides how to handle two major time commitments!):

1) How to handle that pregnancy if it happened during the anatomy labs... anyone have classmates that were pregnant during that time of pharmacy school? I think it's unknown how much of a risk the preservatives are for a fetus.

2) How to handle the commitment for a pharmacy internship. Several internships require a full three- to four-year commitment. Obviously, most people who have children would want/need to take some time off, and I'm curious how this affects their internships.

I don't know if these are concerns for the OP, but I figured they're issues she/he should consider.

I don't know where you're interning, but none of the places I've interned have required any long-term commitment. They've had it as a requirement if you accept a scholarship from them, but not just to work as an intern...

I don't know where you're interning, but none of the places I've interned have required any long-term commitment. They've had it as a requirement if you accept a scholarship from them, but not just to work as an intern...

Several places I interviewed here either have an actual contract, I believe, where you agree to work there for four years. These are usually the hospitals. Then other places just want you to agree to be there for your full time in school.

Although I've heard from the interns here that, even in hospitals, if the work gets to be too much, they're willing to cut down your hours. But they do kind of depend on their interns being there working.

Several places I interviewed here either have an actual contract, I believe, where you agree to work there for four years. These are usually the hospitals. Then other places just want you to agree to be there for your full time in school.

FMLA should get you out of this for at least 12 weeks. They have to give you that much, and some places will give you more.

most of mine had them during rotations.

But there is nothing I hate more than being on rotation with a pregnant chick.

In my opinion, the above quote is just stupid to say and condescending...but if you do want to get pregnant, go for your 4th year. if you get pregnant in the summer before 4th year or in the fall, you would just have to deal with the pregnancy and not an infant yet until after you graduate (or at least close to graduation). That's what im planning to do. good luck on the family planning :D

In my opinion, the above quote is just stupid to say and condescending...but if you do want to get pregnant, go for your 4th year. if you get pregnant in the summer before 4th year or in the fall, you would just have to deal with the pregnancy and not an infant yet until after you graduate (or at least close to graduation). That's what im planning to do. good luck on the family planning :D

how about "I hate being on rotation with apparently first pregnant human on Earth multiple times".

People have been doing it for millions of years. You are not special.

In my opinion, the above quote is just stupid to say and condescending...

Why? I hate working with them, too. They chose to be pregnant, yet I'm expected to make concessions for them. If I went and had elective cosmetic surgery, would I get the same concessions a pregnant woman would get? Hell no. Pregnancy is elective, too, yet people treat it like its a necessity.

Then after they have the thing, you are expected to make due for 3 months with temp workers while they take their maternity leave. This means you are there with a pulse with a license while the universe crumbles around you. And they ALWAYS have them near the end of fall. Just in time to miss the hell months of hospital pharmacy practice. And if not then, it's during the Summer so it ****s up everyone's vacation time. Plus I have to pay taxes to pay for their children to receive an education...them having children makes my insurance premiums higher...AND not only that, the majority of people going into pharmacy are woman...and the type of women that apparently like having 3 bloody children...in a row...and at the same time as each other.

I swear to god, when I'm a director, I'm only hiring men, hermaphrodites, women that are sterile, post-menopausal women, and women who hate children like they hate men that leave the toilet seat up.

So...no...pregnant women get nothing from me. They are annoying. They slow down pharmacy practice and make other peoples' lives harder because they want a baby. The exception are the type that work until the pregnancy, have the thing, then come back like a week later. I'd be cool with that. They don't screw up everyone else's world for months. And, yes, I know I'm an "*******" and my opinions are "abrasive"...we've established that.

THANKFULLY...my current pharmacy is nothing but men, older women, and people who have already had "all their babies" so it's not going to affect me for now. But my last job...good god. There were 3 pharmacists...all women in their late 20s/early 30s...all baby factories. At one point, two of them were on maternity leave and the other was 8 months pregnant. It was complete and utter madness.

On the other hand, if I moved to a big city, I could make a fortune if I learned everyone's computer system and became the designated "maternity replacement pharmacist" in town. Especially being that the profession is become woman-dominated. Hmmm...where there is a problem...there is an opportunity...

Ok, feminists, come tell me I'm a misogynistic *******...even though I'm right...

Last edited:
Why? I hate working with them, too. They chose to be pregnant, yet I'm expected to make concessions for them. If I went and had elective cosmetic surgery, would I get the same concessions a pregnant woman would get? Hell no. Pregnancy is elective, too, yet people treat it like its a necessity.

Then after they have the thing, you are expected to make due for 3 months with temp workers while they take their maternity leave. This means you are there with a pulse with a license while the universe crumbles around you. And they ALWAYS have them near the end of fall. Just in time to miss the hell months of hospital pharmacy practice. And if not then, it's during the Summer so it ****s up everyone's vacation time. Plus I have to pay taxes to pay for their children to receive an education...them having children makes my insurance premiums higher...AND not only that, the majority of people going into pharmacy are woman...and the type of women that apparently like having 3 bloody children...in a row...and at the same time as each other.

I swear to god, when I'm a director, I'm only hiring men, hermaphrodites, women that are sterile, post-menopausal women, and women who hate children like they hate men that leave the toilet seat up.

So...no...pregnant women get nothing from me. They are annoying. They slow down pharmacy practice and make other peoples' lives harder because they want a baby. The exception are the type that work until the pregnancy, have the thing, then come back like a week later. I'd be cool with that. They don't screw up everyone else's world for months. And, yes, I know I'm an "*******" and my opinions are "abrasive"...we've established that.

THANKFULLY...my current pharmacy is nothing but men, older women, and people who have already had "all their babies" so it's not going to affect me for now. But my last job...good god. There were 3 pharmacists...all women in their late 20s/early 30s...all baby factories. At one point, two of them were on maternity leave and the other was 8 months pregnant. It was complete and utter madness.

On the other hand, if I moved to a big city, I could make a fortune if I learned everyone's computer system and became the designated "maternity replacement pharmacist" in town. Especially being that the profession is become woman-dominated. Hmmm...where there is a problem...there is an opportunity...

Ok, feminists, come tell me I'm a misogynistic *******...even though I'm right...

I like your style. What would be your requirements for interview consideration as DOP? I think I'd like to work in just such an envrionment.

The Stillers are ok. I mean the evil, dastardly, Pitt Panthers.

I'm not really a fan of any college team. So there's a double whammy for you. Not only am I not a Panthers fan, I could easily be molded into a Mountaineer fan.

I <3 you both.

I did work with an intern who was just as awesome pregnant as not. And a pharmacist who was the same way. No changes in work ethic or attitude, even when we knew there was morning sickness.

It made it all that much funnier when there was a tech pregnant at the same time as the pharmacist. Rph was further along and would do things all the time the tech "couldn't do".

In my opinion, the above quote is just stupid to say and condescending...

Please...being on rotation with a pregnant female is the worst experience ever. They feel like they can be exempt from certain requirements, are always late, and are pretty lazy when they are there. Your choice to get pregnant and you should be meeting the same requirements as any other student.

I <3 you both.

I did work with an intern who was just as awesome pregnant as not. And a pharmacist who was the same way. No changes in work ethic or attitude, even when we knew there was morning sickness.

It made it all that much funnier when there was a tech pregnant at the same time as the pharmacist. Rph was further along and would do things all the time the tech "couldn't do".

Every woman experiences pregnancy differently. Some have no problems; some have lots. Some work through the problems better than others. Some are required to be on bed rest by their doctors (which sounds absolutely awful to me... I'd be absolutely miserable and frustrated).

I worked in a lab with three pregnant women, and they all did their work pretty much the same as before. One was a little bit paranoid about the potential risks, one was a little concerned, and one didn't even let us know she was pregnant for awhile.

While the one that was a little paranoid was a little frustrating (she was scared to work with fixatives even under a fume hood), at the same time, she helped me out several times when she wasn't pregnant (i.e. looking after cells when I was leaving the state to visit family).

I've seen what various people go through with pregnancy and kids. It's tough. But that's not the only reason life is tough. I'm willing to cut anyone some slack whenever life is difficult, whether that's having kids or dealing with a sick family member. And if I have a flexible schedule because of my (future) children, I'd expect the non-parents to be able to have a flexible schedule to be involved in whatever extracurriculars they want. As long as we all get our work done, that's what matters.

Pharmacy is a little different, since most jobs require certain hours and there are responsibilities to the public and to your co-workers. I know that when I'm pregnant, I most likely will have to deal with some sickness and just suffer through it. I've already told my husband that whenever we have kids, most likely he's going to be the one that takes them to the doctor and does the sick days. He's in academia, and his job will likely be much more flexible than mine will.

If you're running out of time, you might want to just go ahead and start trying now. I'm not speaking from experience (I'll be a P1 in the fall) but I would hate to see you miss your chance because you waited until the end of P2 to start trying. Also, if you are able to adjust your life during P1, things will only get easier as the little one gets older. If you could line it up for a birth in the summer, that would be the best, but of course it's not always possible to be that precise.

But I don't think there's a good year for a baby, and I don't think waiting until after school would be that much easier. Make sure you have an excellent support system and a spouse who is willing and able to take more than his fair share of the work load.

thank you so much. very helpful

thank you so much. very encouraging.

Well thats your opinion. Thanks but no thanks. I do not buy that.

Thank you all so much for your time and opinions.

Every woman experiences pregnancy differently. Some have no problems; some have lots. Some work through the problems better than others. Some are required to be on bed rest by their doctors (which sounds absolutely awful to me... I'd be absolutely miserable and frustrated).

I worked in a lab with three pregnant women, and they all did their work pretty much the same as before. One was a little bit paranoid about the potential risks, one was a little concerned, and one didn't even let us know she was pregnant for awhile.

While the one that was a little paranoid was a little frustrating (she was scared to work with fixatives even under a fume hood), at the same time, she helped me out several times when she wasn't pregnant (i.e. looking after cells when I was leaving the state to visit family).

I've seen what various people go through with pregnancy and kids. It's tough. But that's not the only reason life is tough. I'm willing to cut anyone some slack whenever life is difficult, whether that's having kids or dealing with a sick family member. And if I have a flexible schedule because of my (future) children, I'd expect the non-parents to be able to have a flexible schedule to be involved in whatever extracurriculars they want. As long as we all get our work done, that's what matters.

Pharmacy is a little different, since most jobs require certain hours and there are responsibilities to the public and to your co-workers. I know that when I'm pregnant, I most likely will have to deal with some sickness and just suffer through it. I've already told my husband that whenever we have kids, most likely he's going to be the one that takes them to the doctor and does the sick days. He's in academia, and his job will likely be much more flexible than mine will.

I had the same experience in the lab with 1 chick. she moved a broken sorvall centrifuge (huge, slightly bigger than most washers/dryers) by herself wile I watched.

:thumbup: 100%

but it really seems like some people have way too many problems. sometimes people need to stfu and get to work...we feel so entitled in our society/culture

ya cuz the profession makes it so easy to pop out kids

Every woman experiences pregnancy differently, some have it harder than others, but overall, i don't think we should be implying that pregnant women can't do the job or make the job harder to do. I mean she is carrying a child and that takes a lot on the body and the mind. Pregnancy is a beautiful thing and we shouldn't demean that. Men can't understand that and to be honest, i think women are stronger because nature/God established that role to women to give birth because they can handle it. And if a woman wants to plan a pregnancy during her rotations or being on the job, she should have the freedom to do so without anyone's insensitive remarks; Especially now since women can have both the job and the family, if she chooses.

Please...being on rotation with a pregnant female is the worst experience ever. They feel like they can be exempt from certain requirements, are always late, and are pretty lazy when they are there. Your choice to get pregnant and you should be meeting the same requirements as any other student.

This is true for those that are lazy and want to take it easy which is unfair for the people they work with, but everyone is different in handling pregnancies and we shouldn't make assumptions that every pregger is the same as the last one.

I guess there is no good time to be pregnant.....How bout adopting? You don't have to really do any planning for that!

I guess there is no good time to be pregnant.....How bout adopting? You don't have to really do any planning for that!

Adopting is 200000% better for the universe than having your own child. I'd recommend it to anyone in the health professions that wants a youngin'.

Pregnancy is a beautiful thing and we shouldn't demean that.

I disagree. I won't demean anyone for having a child assuming it doesn't affect me...but proclaiming its something special is just a lie. It's something any idiot can do.

Men can't understand that and to be honest

No, no, I understand it. There isn't much to understand. It's all driven by a set of primitive urges that coerce people to have offspring. I actually appear to understand it more than you.

i think women are stronger because nature/God established that role to women to give birth because they can handle it.

WTF are you talking about. Women have a pain receptors which are less sensitive than men's...that's about it. I suppose that might be a evolutionary thing. If you want to go down that route....women are just lucky they are in an advanced human society where the males of the species with equal intelligence and superior physical strength/speed/agility don't enslave them like in the olden days.

And if a woman wants to plan a pregnancy during her rotations or being on the job, she should have the freedom to do so without anyone's insensitive remarks; Especially now since women can have both the job and the family, if she chooses.

And THIS is the biggest bull**** argument of them all.

Yes, woman are free to have children. Whatever, I don't care. Someone's rugrat will have to support me when I'm on medicare. And I'll need 24 year olds to gawk at when I'm a dirty old man at age 55. I appreciate the theoretical need for children to exist somewhere. HOWEVER...when that affects me in a negative way, I am well within my rights to complain. For example...when the mother goes on three months of maternity vacation and leaves the pharmacy to be left understaffed...thus making me suffer...

Adopting is 200000% better for the universe than having your own child. I'd recommend it to anyone in the health professions that wants a youngin'.

This I agree with 100%. There are a lot of stupid people who kids and decide they don't want them. Those kids didn't do anything wrong, and they deserve a good home.

It's something any idiot can do.

And something many idiots frequently do. I still say anyone on welfare should be mandated to get the Depo shot.

And I'll need 24 year olds to gawk at when I'm a dirty old man at age 55.

Are you going to be the guy at Wal-Mart in the fishing hat with Dockers up past your hips, telling everybody within earshot about how much everything sucks? Lucky sumbitch.

Adopting is incredibly difficult of a process. It's highly expensive. A lot of times the children being adopted have problems because of being raised in unstable/not-so-good situations. You have no control over the neonate environment, either.

Besides all that, I don't think they'd give a kid to a pharmacy student anyway, married or not!

With all that said, I'm still considering adopting, especially for a second or third kid. I think it's good to help a kid have a stable home.

i dunno, as a single male with no kids, i don't mind pitching in to help out when people are pregnant, etc. i've done so in multiple settings, including work and won't ever hesitate to do so again.

seems like the right thing to do....

what's with the hostility towards pregnant women. i get it, your vacation schedule is interrupted, you have to do sooooooooooo much extra work with no recognition or pay, etc. etc.

honestly, women are gonna have kids, and we need women in the workforce. deal with it

Comment about profession dominance/disintegration: Check
WVU makes funny post: Check
Someone establishes women are better than men: Check

I'd say we're about done here.

Raise yo' keeds.

Im a long time lurker and I normally find WVU's comments hilarious but this time I find them disturbing. If a workplace cant handle when their workers take days off, its the institution's problem, not the worker taking the time off. They should have PRN staff available. I suppose we shouldnt be allowed vacation if it leaves the place short staffed, either? Or are vacations a "choice" and not needed. :laugh:

Well this thread was interesting for me. As a woman its simply staggering when you try and plan these things out. I think it depends on the school however Id assume delivering during the summer would be best.

If a workplace cant handle when their workers take days off, its the institution's problem, not the worker taking the time off. They should have PRN staff available.

I addressed this already. Temp help is useless. Especially in hospital pharmacy where there are VAST differences from institution to institution in what the job entails, protocols, physician prescribing habits, etc. The proprietariarity of it boggles the mind when I stop and think about it. And you think just hiring a per diem will magically solve it all? Make no mistake about it. When you leave for 3 months, your coworkers WILL suffer because of it. People just never think about it because child birth is given such a high level of importance in our culture.

Also, is proprietariarity a word? If not, it is now.

Last edited: