What's a good reason for a low sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhoenixRising18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard it said before that "a low (<3.2) sGPA makes it hard to get into just about any MD or DO program, unless there is a particularly good reason for it being so low." I am curious, what sort of sob stories constitute a good reason for a low sGPA? Family issues? Health issues? What about a just plain general change of attitude regarding your studies and career goals?

I would assume the answer is any reason that seems plausible and grabs the attention of the adcom, but I am still wondering what generally passes for a good excuse. I have a relatively low sGPA, albeit with a higher than average upward trend, and I would attribute my early sub-par coursework to general lack of focus and career direction, which I gained after some medical occurrences and community service events. I wonder if that is believable and reason for some forgiveness?

Anyway, thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You should always tell the truth.

In my case, I had a huge portfolio of very high quality EC's. Part of beig able to do them didn't always permit me to give as much time to my coursework as I would have liked. But I wouldn't do anything different given the opportunity because I learned WAY more about being a doctor from those experiences than I ever could have with a bit more time in my chemistry texts.

I also mentioned that I thrive in a small classroom setting, and that it was a difficult adjustment having to schedule office hours a few weeks in advance when my classes started having 300 or so students in them.

It also helped that I had solid MCAT score to show that I learned what was necessary even if some of my grades didn't show it as well as they could have.

I've heard it said before that "a low (<3.2) sGPA makes it hard to get into just about any MD or DO program, unless there is a particularly good reason for it being so low." I am curious, what sort of sob stories constitute a good reason for a low sGPA? Family issues? Health issues? What about a just plain general change of attitude regarding your studies and career goals?

I would assume the answer is any reason that seems plausible and grabs the attention of the adcom, but I am still wondering what generally passes for a good excuse. I have a relatively low sGPA, albeit with a higher than average upward trend, and I would attribute my early sub-par coursework to general lack of focus and career direction, which I gained after some medical occurrences and community service events. I wonder if that is believable and reason for some forgiveness?

Anyway, thoughts?

Remember to speak in a positive tone in your personal statement and secondary essays. I would be very careful with introducing these kinds of ideas in either. Don't lie, just take care in your wording!

Members don't see this ad :)

Anyway, thoughts?
If I were an ADCOM and some student came to me with a semester full of F's because they had some kind of personal/family emergency and the rest of their transcript was strong and with an upward trend, I don't think I would penalize that student. I believe even a reason like "I was immature" as long as they then have proven themselves to be adults (strong Post-Bacc work or SMP) could give a good reason to ignore past mistakes.

The problem is that most people with a low sGPA have a pattern of low grades throughout their college experience, so it is much harder to just turn the other cheek from that.

Of course I would always be honest, by no means did I intend to insinuate that those with low sGPA's must stretch the facts and lie to get through into med school, I was just curious about those who honestly do have good reasons for their past inadequacies.

TriagePreMed said:
If I were an ADCOM and some student came to me with a semester full of F's because they had some kind of personal/family emergency and the rest of their transcript was strong and with an upward trend, I don't think I would penalize that student. I believe even a reason like "I was immature" as long as they then have proven themselves to be adults (strong Post-Bacc work or SMP) could give a good reason to ignore past mistakes.

The problem is that most people with a low sGPA have a pattern of low grades throughout their college experience, so it is much harder to just turn the other cheek from that.

Is the post-bac/SMP really necessary if the upward trend was strongly exhibited during an applicants undergraduate years? For instance I had a solid year (3 quarters, I'm on a quarter system) of GPA's ranging from 2.0 to 2.8, but have since raised my quarterly GPA considerably to the 3.8-4.0 range, and assuming I can hold my GPA at a 4.0 for a whole year, doesn't that do exactly what a post-bac/SMP would do? I ask because those programs are pricey for the debt-conscious and on a tight budget.

Assuming 2.5 freshman and 3.8 Sophomore, Junior, and Senior, I would assume that your GPA should be around a 3.5. At this point you have already proven your academic prowess in my opinion and a post-bacc/smp is not necessary. However, if your GPA is still sitting at < 3.2, it might be good caution to do post-bacc or SMP.

Assuming 2.5 freshman and 3.8 Sophomore, Junior, and Senior, I would assume that your GPA should be around a 3.5. At this point you have already proven your academic prowess in my opinion and a post-bacc/smp is not necessary. However, if your GPA is still sitting at < 3.2, it might be good caution to do post-bacc or SMP.

Well by the end of my senior year I should have over a 3.6, if I continue my current trend, but considering I apply at the end of my junior year (next year), my cGPA will only have reached 3.47 and my sGPA will only have reached 3.33, albiet with the strong upward curve.

Would it be wise to apply at the end of my senior year instead, and have a gap year between when I graduate and when I matriculate? I would have more EC's and a higher GPA by then for sure.

Well by the end of my senior year I should have over a 3.6, if I continue my current trend, but considering I apply at the end of my junior year (next year), my cGPA will only have reached 3.47 and my sGPA will only have reached 3.33, albiet with the strong upward curve.

Would it be wise to apply at the end of my senior year instead, and have a gap year between when I graduate and when I matriculate? I would have more EC's and a higher GPA by then for sure.
Absolutely best to wait. If you're a traditional student, you'll be 23 when you enter. If you've seen folks around here, they are in their 30s and 40s and trying to get in, so you're doing excellent as it is. Either way, wouldn't taking a year off doing something you enjoy outside of academic pursuits be something worth rewarding yourself with after being in school for 18 years?

Absolutely best to wait. If you're a traditional student, you'll be 23 when you enter. If you've seen folks around here, they are in their 30s and 40s and trying to get in, so you're doing excellent as it is. Either way, wouldn't taking a year off doing something you enjoy outside of academic pursuits be something worth rewarding yourself with after being in school for 18 years?

The more I think about it, the more appealing it sounds. I'm eager to become a doctor, but I think a year off could be a good thing. Plus it allows me to apply after I have the entire college experience under my belt, increased GPA, leadership roles, EC's, clinical experience, etc.

I'll be applying for the FAP (fee assistance program) either way (unless I win the lottery), so if I can swing it I might apply junior year too, or would that be a bad idea?

Thanks for the advice by the way, it's been really helpful.

I'll be applying for the FAP (fee assistance program) either way (unless I win the lottery), so if I can swing it I might apply junior year too, or would that be a bad idea?
I don't have a lot of knowledge on how the re-applicant works, but from what I gathered being around these forums is that you're in a position of disadvantage because they would expect you to have a much stronger application. You'd also have to deal with getting a new personal statement, essays, etc. I don't know if letters of rec would need updating too? Someone else should know.

I might apply junior year too, or would that be a bad idea?
A 3.47/3.33 is very close to the average stats for entering DO med students, so applying after junior year gives you a good shot at an osteopathic acceptance. If you want the best possible chance of MD consideration, then wait until after your senior year. Average for acceptees of MD schools is 3.67/3.61, so you'd want to be as close to that as possible, with a stronger MCAT score to compensate for a lower cGPA.

Yes, it does seem as though applying a year later would significantly help my chances. What about the MCAT though? I know most schools accept up to a 3 year old MCAT, but is it generally viewed as being better to take it closer to your application? Tentatively I think I'd take it next summer (2012) some time to use in my application the following Spring (2013) for the 2013-2014 application cycle.

What about the MCAT though? I know most schools accept up to a 3 year old MCAT, but is it generally viewed as being better to take it closer to your application?

It doesn't matter when you take it as long as it's within the acceptable time limit. And I will agree with everyone on here that your chances of an MD acceptance are significantly improved if you wait until your senior year to apply.

A lot of schools expire the MCAT score in 2 years and a few in 4-10 years.

I would assume this means 2 years from the date of application? I would probably opt to take mine the summer after my junior year, as then I would have completed all the pre-requisite classes.