What's a typical day like for a DO student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albaniandoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read on the interview feedback that this question was asked:
Describe what your day will be like as an osteopathic student.

I am preparing for the interviews and I have an idea what the answer to this question might be, but I would love to hear from a current student.
So what is your day like?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

onmywayRN said:

I am preparing for the interviews and I have an idea what the answer to this question might be, but I would love to hear from a current student.
Thanks

8 AM - 5 PM. Classes and Gross/OPP with 2 hour down time.

6 PM - & 8 PM Dinner and a short sleep.

8:00 PM - 12:30 AM Studying time.

1 AM - Bed.

I average about 6 hours of sleep. I am working to get that up to about 7 hours of sleep. I wake up at 7AM.

There is no TV time.

No time to play games.

And sadly very little time to post on SDN :)

The majority of the time I spend studying go to anatomy and biochemistry because they are my weak points. Sometimes I find myself juggling to between my other classes. Physiology I have been ignoring so I can find more time for biochem and anatomy. I am taking a risk, but I don't have a choice because there is so much material.

Tonight I am planning on going to an OPP session with faculty, then on to biochem and developmental and then case study. Perhaps I might* get a chance to look at anatomy.

I carry a vast ordinance of books in my bag. I have two large 3 ring binders but will soon need a third or fourth one. I live very close to the school, but I drive because I get tired running from building to building. I leave some of my books in the car trunk. I can also leave some of my books at my desk because nobody bothers to steal anything here.

Gross lab is difficult, but for some reason I enjoy it. I am working on a cadavar that is very difficult, I look at the two tables next to mine and I'm like "Oh wow your patient is in mint condition! You can see the levator consortum" :laugh:

At my apartment I have a good way to make food. You know those automatic rice pots that all your asian friends use? Well I decided to use one of them. I don't like plain rice so I buy like 30 bags of flavored/spice rice with herbs and throw it into the automatic pot. When it cooks I go study or use the bathroom. When I am done, the rice is finished. I take some chicken patties and vegetables and put them in the microwave. I cut the chicken and place that and the vegetables into the automatic pot.

I now have a culinary artwork with no effort. It is easy to clean and efficiently healthy.

So far I haven't been excercising much - but my school is famous for broomball so I am going to have to check that out.

And so that is my life thus far. I am going to the library right now :luck:

Best of wishes,

C&C

As sick as this might sound, I actually like that.
Do you recommend taking Biochem and Physiology before med school? If you did take them, do you think they helped you out at all?
I am thinking of taking Biochem next semester. I took Physiology long time ago in '99.
If you don't mind what college is this? Is attendance mandatory?
Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's like Crockpot version 2.0. :) What a quick way to eat healthy!

Are classes mandatory for you C&C?

onmywayRN said:
Do you recommend taking Biochem and Physiology before med school? If you did take them, do you think they helped you out at all?
I am thinking of taking Biochem next semester. I took Physiology long time ago in '99.
Thanks a lot.

I believe CatsandCradles is a West Virginia SOM student.

Packamylase said:
I believe CatsandCradles is a West Virginia SOM student.

Cool.
I hear it's a good school.
Good luck to C & C.

CatsandCradles said:
8 AM - 5 PM. Classes and Gross/OPP with 2 hour down time.

6 PM - & 8 PM Dinner and a short sleep.

8:00 PM - 12:30 AM Studying time.

1 AM - Bed.

I average about 6 hours of sleep. I am working to get that up to about 7 hours of sleep. I wake up at 7AM.

There is no TV time.

No time to play games.

And sadly very little time to post on SDN :)

The majority of the time I spend studying go to anatomy and biochemistry because they are my weak points. Sometimes I find myself juggling to between my other classes. Physiology I have been ignoring so I can find more time for biochem and anatomy. I am taking a risk, but I don't have a choice because there is so much material.

Tonight I am planning on going to an OPP session with faculty, then on to biochem and developmental and then case study. Perhaps I might* get a chance to look at anatomy.

I carry a vast ordinance of books in my bag. I have two large 3 ring binders but will soon need a third or fourth one. I live very close to the school, but I drive because I get tired running from building to building. I leave some of my books in the car trunk. I can also leave some of my books at my desk because nobody bothers to steal anything here.

Gross lab is difficult, but for some reason I enjoy it. I am working on a cadavar that is very difficult, I look at the two tables next to mine and I'm like "Oh wow your patient is in mint condition! You can see the levator consortum" :laugh:

At my apartment I have a good way to make food. You know those automatic rice pots that all your asian friends use? Well I decided to use one of them. I don't like plain rice so I buy like 30 bags of flavored/spice rice with herbs and throw it into the automatic pot. When it cooks I go study or use the bathroom. When I am done, the rice is finished. I take some chicken patties and vegetables and put them in the microwave. I cut the chicken and place that and the vegetables into the automatic pot.

I now have a culinary artwork with no effort. It is easy to clean and efficiently healthy.

So far I haven't been excercising much - but my school is famous for broomball so I am going to have to check that out.

And so that is my life thus far. I am going to the library right now :luck:

Best of wishes,

C&C

It will get better. I remember the first few months of first year were like that, but gradually you will figgure things out and be able to get more sleep and have more time. I know it doesnt seem like it now but you will. Second year is much better, by the end I only studied a few days a week and had weekends off... except before a test.

1st year at PCOM

The days vary, but most of the time classes start at 8 and end about 3/4 depending if you have OMM lab or not. On tuesdays and thursdays I play in scrimmage games with the PCOM soccer club from 5-6:30. I usually study on T and TR for about 2-3 hours and make sure I get some TV time in.

MWF are my "hardcore"/no TV-time days and I average about 5-6 hours of sleep.

Sat/Sun are sleep in days/errands/Review time.

Overall if you keep to a schedule you will be fine. Its actually pretty fun and you have time to relax/enjoy life IF YOU MAKE IT.

onmywayRN said:

Thanks

First, we choose if we are going to class or not. Then, if not, we spent the rest of the morning and some of the afternoon in either the library or, if you are me, in front of the TV studying.

I think I answered that question like this: Not being in medical school, I do not know what my day will be like. I can talk to other students but, I am sure that each person will vary. However, I do know that it will be filled with much studying and time for own personal enjoyment.

8-12 Class (Sometimes till 3, maybe twice a week for lab)
12-1 Lunch
1-3 relax or lab
4-6 eat and gym
7-11 study and mess around library

I'm at DMU, but i've only been in school for 1.5 weeks, so this might change.
As for BioChem, I took one semester at undergrad and helped for about the first week. We are already doing stuff that i didn't really cover, so it's not that helpful.

FS-Pro said:
8-12 Class (Sometimes till 3, maybe twice a week for lab)
12-1 Lunch
1-3 relax or lab
4-6 eat and gym
7-11 study and mess around library

I'm at DMU, but i've only been in school for 1.5 weeks, so this might change.
As for BioChem, I took one semester at undergrad and helped for about the first week. We are already doing stuff that i didn't really cover, so it's not that helpful.

The biochem helps, but cellbiology and physiology have been even more helpful thus far for me.

onmywayRN said:

7:00AM- Arrive home from all-night kegger at the beach
7:20AM- Feed the cat
7:21AM- Realize you don't have a cat
7:23AM- Water the flowers
7:24AM- Zip up pants after watering the flowers
7:25AM- Pass out
2:35PM- Wake up, realize you missed class, ask, "Who the hell are you?" to the rotund biker chick in your bed
2:40PM- Learn the true meaning to, "Suck-start a Harley."
3:30PM- Open Anatomy book
3:31PM- Close Anatomy book
3:32PM- Turn the TV to Maury Povich re-run, find out the name of the rotund biker chick in your bed
4:00PM- Chinese takeout
5:00PM- Open Anatomy book
5:01PM- Close Anatomy book
6:00PM- Take a shower so you can to tonight's party smelling fresh and clean
7:00PM- Walk out he door
7:01PM- Go back inside and look for prophylactics (in case you run into the rotund biker chick again)
7:05PM- Grab a beer as you leave your troubles behind

...NOT!!!!

onmywayRN said:

It's crazy. Study all the time unless you're genius. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
scpod said:
2:35PM- Wake up, realize you missed class, ask, "Who the hell are you?" to the rotund biker chick in your bed
3:32PM- Turn the TV to Maury Povich re-run, find out the name of the rotund biker chick in your bed
7:01PM- Go back inside and look for prophylactics (in case you run into the rotund biker chick again)

...NOT!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I took a four hour nap today, woke up, got some food, then started drinking.

of course im not in school. :D

C&C is making me wish i had another week off.

scpod said:

...NOT!!!!

You forgot to mention the constant orgies that happen all the time. Who has time to study!

scpod said:
...NOT!!!!

Mannnnn
no rotund biker chick???
it's almost not even worth going to medical school then.

onmywayRN said:
Thanks a lot.

taking biochem SHOULD help you. However, I would take the 2 part biochem courses for majors b/c a lot of that stuff will keep popping up in professional school.

UNE. Class 8-3 or 9-5, depends on the day. We have gross 5 days a week (with lab). OPP, embryo, and FOD every week. thursday afternoons are free for preceptorships if you're scheduled for one - I don't have one until later in September, so my thursday afternoons are free.

Basically:

Up at 6:30.
7:30 out the door.
8:00 class.
9:00 lab until 12.
12-1 lunch/study
1-3 class. twice a week there's lab until 5pm.

Home at 3:30 or 5:30.
Dinner.
Family time/dinner/put kids to bed and have all their eyes glaze over when all I do is spout med school crap.
8-12am - study.
12:30 - bedtime.

Repeat.

I took off my first two weekends for househunting, furniture buying, supplies, etc. (long story, don't ask) and paid for it by spending 8 hours this past saturday AND sunday AND studying until midnight both days in preparation for our first gross exam. I think it'll be easier now that my stuff is here (in boxes), but I would definitely prepare to spend 10-20 hours EXTRA EACH WEEK in gross lab. Yup, outside of class/lab time.

I hear once gross is over things ease up dramatically.

1st year NSUCOMer:

wake up at 7:25
8-4 class
4-430 go home and change, relax
430-7 study
7-8 dinner
8-1230 study
1230-1 talk to gf on phone
sleep at 1:30

usually dont nap..maybe on weekends..

DrMikeyLu said:
1st year NSUCOMer:

wake up at 7:25
8-4 class
4-430 go home and change, relax
430-7 study
7-8 dinner
8-1230 study
1230-1 talk to gf on phone
sleep at 1:30

usually dont nap..maybe on weekends..

Is this Monday-Friday, or Mon-Thursday? I hear that Fridays are a little shorter.

1) I think they want to hear that you can balance a lot of study with a life. Don't tell them you will be studying 24/7 because you won't be, you need to have a life. I think they want to know more than anything you can balance your time and that you will get things done.

2) Ever see guys walking out of a gym? They flex and say owwww that was so hard I worked every muscle 30 times, even though they did 1 bicep curl and left. Med students seem to do that for med school, it isn't really that hard but it is challenging.

3) Many students spend crazy amounts of time around school or the library "studying" but when I see them 9 times out of 10 they are socializing or messing around. If you study efficiently you should have plenty of free time. It will take a while to get in the rhythm and learn to study for med school but once you get there you will be set, for some this take a few months for others a year and maybe some never learn but really, spend the first few months learning how to study efficiently for YOUR style rather than trying to study a lot or copy other people’s style.

Also, my personal advise, use study time to study and remove yourself from school and distractions so that you can have plenty of time for video games/ TV/ sports/ SO/ family/ or whatever else you find pleasure in. I sure do.

Good luck

~Nate

Nate said:
1) I think they want to hear that you can balance a lot of study with a life. Don't tell them you will be studying 24/7 because you won't be, you need to have a life. I think they want to know more than anything you can balance your time and that you will get things done.

2) Ever see guys walking out of a gym? They flex and say owwww that was so hard I worked every muscle 30 times, even though they did 1 bicep curl and left. Med students seem to do that for med school, it isn't really that hard but it is challenging.

3) Many students spend crazy amounts of time around school or the library "studying" but when I see them 9 times out of 10 they are socializing or messing around. If you study efficiently you should have plenty of free time. It will take a while to get in the rhythm and learn to study for med school but once you get there you will be set, for some this take a few months for others a year and maybe some never learn but really, spend the first few months learning how to study efficiently for YOUR style rather than trying to study a lot or copy other people’s style.

Also, my personal advise, use study time to study and remove yourself from school and distractions so that you can have plenty of time for video games/ TV/ sports/ SO/ family/ or whatever else you find pleasure in. I sure do.

Good luck

~Nate

Whew, I needed that Nate! I was getting so nervous with these threads!! I understand its a lot of studying, more so then I've ever done--but 6+hours a day on top of class time?!? Thanks for the advice!

I am an MS1 at VCOM and have only had four days of class so I am sure this will change but...

up at 6am
class from 8-12
lunch from 12-12:45
study from 12:45-4
home to relax and eat till 7
casually study infront of TV till 8:30 or 9
bed at 10:30

There are people in my class spending more time studying and some that are not. It really depends on the person how much time you will spend studying. And it looks like it really depends what school you go to with how much time you will spend in class too.

onmywayRN said:
Is this Monday-Friday, or Mon-Thursday? I hear that Fridays are a little shorter.

generally MTTh...Wed class ends at 5...and Fridays are really good tomorrow we end at 10 :) Usually it alternates either you have IGC or you have an afternoon off ..so every other friday you'll be in the clinic to 4..alternating with getting out of class at noon..and in some cases 10 am :) ...And no i dont mess around at the library..i actually study ..but Nate is right..there are ppl that mess around

6:30am-- wake up, shower, breakfast, get beautiful ( :p )
8:00am-12pm -- lectures--biochem, histology, anatomy, OMM (or OMM lab)
12pm-1pm-- lunch
1pm-5pm -- anatomy/histology lab (often have friday afternoons free)
5pm-6pm--dinner/tv/relax
6pm-8:00pm--study--read assigned textbook readings, review course notes
8pm-8:30pm--take a break and go for a walk/jog
8:30pm-10:30pm-- resume studying
10:30pm bedtime (can be extended to as late as 12:30 w/ study if needed)

on the weekends....study combined w/ going out on friday and saturday nights, laundry, house cleaning, ect...sleep in if I can, but not past 9 or 10am :oops:

scpod said:

...NOT!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, when I was at PCOM I quit going to class by the second or third week. The only thing I would go to was OPP and anatomy lab. I woke up when I felt like it and studied at home till lunch. Took a little time off and studied a few more hours in the afternoon before going to the gym for a couple of hours. Came home, ate dinner, watched TV or whatever I felt like doing but rarely studies much in the evening unless it was exam time. I managed pretty well.

bobo, pgy-3

ShyRem said:
UNE. Class 8-3 or 9-5, depends on the day. We have gross 5 days a week (with lab). OPP, embryo, and FOD every week. thursday afternoons are free for preceptorships if you're scheduled for one - I don't have one until later in September, so my thursday afternoons are free.

Basically:

Up at 6:30.
7:30 out the door.
8:00 class.
9:00 lab until 12.
12-1 lunch/study
1-3 class. twice a week there's lab until 5pm.

Home at 3:30 or 5:30.
Dinner.
Family time/dinner/put kids to bed and have all their eyes glaze over when all I do is spout med school crap.
8-12am - study.
12:30 - bedtime.

Repeat.

I took off my first two weekends for househunting, furniture buying, supplies, etc. (long story, don't ask) and paid for it by spending 8 hours this past saturday AND sunday AND studying until midnight both days in preparation for our first gross exam. I think it'll be easier now that my stuff is here (in boxes), but I would definitely prepare to spend 10-20 hours EXTRA EACH WEEK in gross lab. Yup, outside of class/lab time.

I hear once gross is over things ease up dramatically.

Szeesh!

That's a lot of time in the Gross lab. At WVSOM it is usually 2 or 3 days a week, and even that is overwhelming! How long is your lab course going to last? Until Christmas or past January even?

how long do yo guys study on weekends? i've come to the conclusion that i might have to invest in TiVO to maintain my sanity. however, i'd like to play "catch up" with my television programming addiction on the weekends

i just download episodes...and watch them right b4 i sleep (only takes 20 min no commercials..or 43ish if 1 hr long ep) Its gonna be tough once the nba season starts tho =/

cee said:
how long do yo guys study on weekends? i've come to the conclusion that i might have to invest in TiVO to maintain my sanity. however, i'd like to play "catch up" with my television programming addiction on the weekends

I spend 6 to 8 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday, but I take off all of Friday night. Tonight I'm going to dinner with some OMSI's and OMSII's where we will talk about classes, but the main purpose is drinking Margaritas and unwinding. Tomorrow, it's back to studying. Some people spend a lot less time studying, but keep in mind that I made a 90 on the first exam and there were some people in the 40's. You need a 70 to pass, so some people have a lot of catching up to do. You can still get up on Saturday at 7AM, then go out for lunch for a couple of hours (watch a football game when college season starts soon) and spend a few more hours on Saturday evening studying. You can do the smae thing on Sunday. You really get used to it.

Szeesh!

That's a lot of time in the Gross lab. At WVSOM it is usually 2 or 3 days a week, and even that is overwhelming! How long is your lab course going to last? Until Christmas or past January even?

Cats, they went to a semi-block schedule. We're done with gross by Halloween. I should say we have gross lecture EVERY DAY and gross lab EVERY DAY until then. Embryo twice a week, OPP once a week (lecture and lab), FOD once a week (lecture and small groups). So basically we're in gross lecture and lab a total of 4 hours a day 5 days a week. Needless to say, you need to put in time outside of lab to finish things depending on your cadaver, and to really do some of the dissections well. So lots of hours in the short term, but come Halloween it should free up considerably.

WVSOM PBL student here.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday:
8-10: PBL session
10-12: research/ study
12-1: lunch
1-5: study
5-6: eat
6-7: exercise time
7-10: study
10-11: organize for next day or study
11 is bed time

Tuesday and Wednesday:
8-11: OPP/ Anatomy lectures
11-12: lunch
12-1: study
1-5: OPP/ anatomy labs
5-6: eat/study
6-7: study
7-9: martial arts
9-11: study

With PBL, we have a lot of time just set aside for studying. As I get better at researching and assimilating information, I find that I learn a lot in a short amount of time. You gotta have a lot of self-discipline for PBL, I absolutely love the track. Some learning issues we have, I just have to force myself to learn them. With others, I find myself reading for hours without realizing how much time has transpired cause I'm so into em. Now, their is no secret to anatomy, its just bruit memorization and repetition.

WVSOM PBL student here.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday:
8-10: PBL session
10-12: research/ study
12-1: lunch
1-5: study
5-6: eat
6-7: exercise time
7-10: study
10-11: organize for next day or study
11 is bed time

Tuesday and Wednesday:
8-11: OPP/ Anatomy lectures
11-12: lunch
12-1: study
1-5: OPP/ anatomy labs
5-6: eat/study
6-7: study
7-9: martial arts
9-11: study

With PBL, we have a lot of time just set aside for studying. As I get better at researching and assimilating information, I find that I learn a lot in a short amount of time. You gotta have a lot of self-discipline for PBL, I absolutely love the track. Some learning issues we have, I just have to force myself to learn them. With others, I find myself reading for hours without realizing how much time has transpired cause I'm so into em. Now, their is no secret to anatomy, its just bruit memorization and repetition.

This is already what my schedule is like except to substitute work in for some class time. Even on weekends I study/work 12-16 hours depending on the weekend. Med school will be a breath of fresh for the simple fact that yeah, I'll be working hard, but for classes only. I would love to give up my therapy practice and just take classes, but can't until I get to med school!

which schools have the shortest classes?

I saw that some people don't go to class - are there some schools where you absolutely have to go to class in order to do well?

Here's what it looks like at OUCOM:

8-12 M-F: Lecture/Labs/OMM
T, Th 1-3: Case-Based Learning
T 3-5: Clinical Skills

Anatomy Labs run in conjunction with the block that we are in (i.e. Cardiovascular block see us dissecting the heart, etc.) and we have lab for 2 hours once a week. Of course, Gross lasts for 1st AND 2nd year to make it relevant to what we are learning about and so that we able to better absorb and synthesize what we are learning. Granted, OUCOM has a somewhat unique curriculum (both CPC and PCC). In CPC (Clinical Presentation Continuum), our years are broken into blocks as I mentioned above, and the blocks are further broken down into weekly modules based on common presentations of patients in a clinical setting (i.e. Blood and Immunity block has a five weeks that cover elevated temp, sore throat, pallor and fatigue, clotting disorders, and leukocytosis).

All that to say M W F I am done at noon and have the rest of the day to study and investigate things. Tueday is the 8-5 day and Thursday is the 8-3 day. They give us PLENTY of time to study. In addition, they start us off with one month of Clinically oriented Anatomy (just a few lectures and 4 days a week of Lab) and OMM to get everyone on the same page and give us some time to ease into things. Okay, I'm done.

which schools have the shortest classes?

I saw that some people don't go to class - are there some schools where you absolutely have to go to class in order to do well?

There are some schools having attendance policy. However, whether going to the class in order to do well depends on your studying style (habit). If you can study without going to the class, then don't go to the school that enforces attendance.

This is already what my schedule is like except to substitute work in for some class time. Even on weekends I study/work 12-16 hours depending on the weekend. Med school will be a breath of fresh for the simple fact that yeah, I'll be working hard, but for classes only. I would love to give up my therapy practice and just take classes, but can't until I get to med school!

I was thinking the same thing! Between kids, school, and volunteering, I'm lucky to get 5hours sleep a night. I forced myself to forget what "free time" was after my first baby was born :laugh: Good to know med school will be managable :thumbup: If ever I get in! :laugh:

12pm = wake up, eat
1pm - 10pm = tv, internet, eat, workout, live life, with small study breaks
10pm - 4am = study, with small tv/food breaks
4am - 12pm = sleep (7-10 hours/day)

once a week I break the cycle to come in for OMM

Good luck

~Nate

Nate's comment is so money. After about a half year you'll figure out how to study. And once anatomy lab is over everything else is cream cheese b/c you'll have about 6hrs extra (not counting weekends studying in the lab) of time out of lab per week.

1st year at PCOM

The days vary, but most of the time classes start at 8 and end about 3/4 depending if you have OMM lab or not. On tuesdays and thursdays I play in scrimmage games with the PCOM soccer club from 5-6:30. I usually study on T and TR for about 2-3 hours and make sure I get some TV time in.

MWF are my "hardcore"/no TV-time days and I average about 5-6 hours of sleep.

Sat/Sun are sleep in days/errands/Review time.

Overall if you keep to a schedule you will be fine. Its actually pretty fun and you have time to relax/enjoy life IF YOU MAKE IT.

PCOM has a soccer club? Sweet. Do you know if they have one on the Atlanta Campus also?

PCOM has a soccer club? Sweet. Do you know if they have one on the Atlanta Campus also?

The campus in Philly has a field that is used for the Rugby/Soccer/Football/Ultimate frisbee club. I'm not sure if the GA campus has one, as far as I know its just one building.

I'm not the one to ask probably.... :rolleyes:

Here's my schedule as a 1st year at NYCOM:

M 8-10:30am - OMM
T 8-5 - Lecture
W 9am-12pm - Anatomy Lab
T 8-5 - Lecture
F 8am-12pm - Lecture

Thanks
Well, let's see, get up, go to school, come home, go to sleep. Repeat. Anything else? I bet if you go to the inividual school web pages it can tell you your classes for the semester even. :idea:

Well, let's see, get up, go to school, come home, go to sleep. Repeat. Anything else? I bet if you go to the inividual school web pages it can tell you your classes for the semester even. :idea:

We're talking more like well, I donno, how much time do you study each day? Do you find it worthwhile to go to class, or is it a waste of time? How do you balance your time between school and other things (or is there a balance)?

We're talking more like well, I donno, how much time do you study each day? Do you find it worthwhile to go to class, or is it a waste of time? How do you balance your time between school and other things (or is there a balance)?
As I am sure you all know from your own academic experience that different people take different amounts of time to grasp certain things. You cannot place a real time limit on studying other than if you feel to tired to soak anything in, its time for something else. If you don't go to class, please don't try to be my Physican in the near future and let me know where you end up so that I can avoid you.:thumbup::thumbup:

If you don't go to class, please don't try to be my Physican in the near future and let me know where you end up so that I can avoid you.:thumbup::thumbup:

I'm not planning on ditching classes - it's just such a common topic on these boards that I figured I'd ask about it.

You might ask your colleagues the same question, given that many of them don't seem to attend classes either.