What's better - distance organic chem now or class organic chem this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Distance or class

• Class

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Distance

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
S

scottd

I need help. I have all of my pre-requisites completed except for organic chemistry. I want to apply this summer for dental school in 2010. I wanted to take Organic Chemistry I this semester, but found out a few months ago that I can't take it anywhere except for online or distance courses. I have a 3.95 GPA and probably great DAT and would like to apply to some of the most competitive schools.

What do you think is better? Should I take it now via distance/online learning (without the lab) or wait until this summer to take it via class (pushing me until late July until I can submit my application). I really don't see the big deal or difference between online and class (I actually learn better from the book than lectures), but I hear that adcoms don't like it. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

This question should have been asked in the Pre-Dental forum.

But, since you're going to have a great DAT score and get accepted to the top programs in the country then take which ever class you want.

Last edited:
Well, I never said I was going to be accepted. That is why I was asking this question. I have no resident dental school in my state, and I'll be applying to some tough out-of-state dental schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, there is no such thing as "probably" a good DAT. If you haven't taken it yet, I'm not quite sure you have anything to compare it to. Second, your 3.95 gpa...is it from a major university or is it from a smaller U or CC? I seem to recall a few people with 3.9x gpa's (from some schools) who struggle to get an 18 on the DAT, while some people with a 3.2 (from other programs) get 20+. The DAT is a standardized test that attempts to level the playing field for would be candidates, which is why you cannot assume you will "probably" have a good DAT.

That being said...TIMING is a huge part of getting accepted to dental school. If you don't apply until late July...that means your application will probably not be complete until late August. I don't care what anyone says, this is LATE! I was told directly by two different people (in two diff institutions) that getting my application submitted in May/June would have dramatically increased my chances to gain acceptance to those programs.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that taking Orgo online is a very smart thing to do (it's just not your typical class). I've never taken an online class, but I would find learning Orgo to be very difficult on my own. I'm not sure what you mean by distance learning either...so no comment there.

Good luck.

First of all, there is no such thing as "probably" a good DAT. If you haven't taken it yet, I'm not quite sure you have anything to compare it to. Second, your 3.95 gpa...is it from a major university or is it from a smaller U or CC? I seem to recall a few people with 3.9x gpa's (from some schools) who struggle to get an 18 on the DAT, while some people with a 3.2 (from other programs) get 20+ .

Very good points that are worth listening to. Never assume. We all know what happens when you assume.

Thanks for your opinion.

And sorry if I've offended. I think most anybody can score really high on the DAT if they work hard enough. I feel most anybody can get a high GPA too. Not intending to brag - these are my safety cushions since I don't have a dental school here. As a result, I just work harder. I am studying and practice testing exhaustively until I feel comfortable with my practice DAT score. Getting a high score isn't a matter of smarts, it's a matter of "when" you've learned enough of the material. And that's hard work - don't worry, I know.

Still the advise about the late application is really helpful.

Thanks for your opinion.

And sorry if I've offended. I think most anybody can score really high on the DAT if they work hard enough. I feel most anybody can get a high GPA too. Not intending to brag - these are my safety cushions since I don't have a dental school here. As a result, I just work harder. I am studying and practice testing exhaustively until I feel comfortable with my practice DAT score. Getting a high score isn't a matter of smarts, it's a matter of "when" you've learned enough of the material. And that's hard work - don't worry, I know.

Still the advise about the late application is really helpful.

Good to hear that you're dedicated and down-to-earth about it. I would also suggest that you not waste money applying to an excessive amount of schools. If you are able to get a 20+ on all sections of the DAT then you would become quite competitive considering your GPA. My GPA was around where yours is at and I made a 21 AA, which prompted me to only apply to my three in state schools. Luckily, I was accepted to all three. If you score similarly on the DAT then you should be in roughly the same position.

I would only apply to 5-7 schools if I were you. Pick a few "top choice" schools and several safety schools just in case. You should have the credentials, and you'll thank yourself for not spending hundreds if not thousands more than you have to.

Also, never forget the importance of a strong personal statement. No matter what your numbers are that personal statement will carry quite a bit of weight and should be well written.

I took Organic Chem I over the summer in 7 weeks with an ACS standardized final exam. My professor was tough and the lab was insane with 2 labs a week and we had to write scientific essays PER LAB besides keeping our notebook.....I LOVED taking the class over the summer because that was all I did! Got a high grade on both too, and got a 93% on the final.....oh, and that was with 2 kids, new puppies, and what not.....I went to Vegas for 1 week after the finals, LOL!!!

People will give you mixed opinions like adcoms will not like that you took it over the summer, or that adcoms will really like that you took it over the summer. I asked 2 adcoms about this at the same school and they both say that will actually be impressed with it because is not an easy class.....

My class also scored high on the final, so maybe it depends on who's teaching it. The class prepared me very well for Biochem in the Fall.

I had only taken things like health and nutrition classes online. Take it over the summer, and the II in the Fall if you can.

Oh, are you visual???? It's a very visual class.

Many D schools don't accept online classes, and many are very strict about the lab pre-req as well. Be careful!
Also, from what I understood, you have not even taken Ochem I yet, right? If not, then you should definitely take it in summer (with lab) and also study Ochem II on your own in order to do well on the Ochem section of your DAT. Pretty tough, but doable! Good luck

I need help. I have all of my pre-requisites completed except for organic chemistry. I want to apply this summer for dental school in 2010. I wanted to take Organic Chemistry I this semester, but found out a few months ago that I can't take it anywhere except for online or distance courses. I have a 3.95 GPA and probably great DAT and would like to apply to some of the most competitive schools.

What do you think is better? Should I take it now via distance/online learning (without the lab) or wait until this summer to take it via class (pushing me until late July until I can submit my application). I really don't see the big deal or difference between online and class (I actually learn better from the book than lectures), but I hear that adcoms don't like it. Thank you.

You know you can apply before all of your prereqs are done??? You have an entire year while you interview and before matriculating to complete pre-reqs. The only thing I can think of is you mean you won't take the DAT until you've taken Ochem. Could always do both I guess, take the DAT after the online course and then take the class with lab, it would be a cinch at that point, you'd have the pre-req and the DAT done.

The response above me is correct, most schools will not accept pre-requisites done online or distance learning, or at a CC for that matter.

How are you going to take organic chem without a lab? Do you have a chem lab at your disposal? All the schools I applied to wanted class with LAB. Learning the concepts without doing anything is not very useful. Take it in the summer.

Many D schools don't accept online classes, and many are very strict about the lab pre-req as well. Be careful!
Also, from what I understood, you have not even taken Ochem I yet, right? If not, then you should definitely take it in summer (with lab) and also study Ochem II on your own in order to do well on the Ochem section of your DAT. Pretty tough, but doable! Good luck

disagree.online classes doesn't show in transcript that it is online.( at least, that is fact in Dallas). :thumbup:
lol , buddy, we are starting to disagree about something again :laugh:

Danny, what online classes have you taken in Dallas? I'm from Dallas myself (and attend UTD)