what's better: goljan vs. kaplan for path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigglewiggle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm just starting pathology and was wondering what you all thought was better (and quicker)-goljan rapid review plus audio or kaplan path plus dvds?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about Kaplan because I didn't pay for their courses, but when I reviewed path I read Goljan rapid review cover to cover without the audio lectures. I can say that I felt pretty secure about path afterwards, being since I was scoring upper 80's to low 90's on USMLEWORLD after I reviewed it, but path was also one of my strongest subjects. I highly recommend sticking with Goljan....my friend is taking Kaplan and everything that I saw in their book was covered by Goljan plus more. Just my .02.

thanks lipofuscin232--do you (or anyone else) think doing goljan audio is worth it/necessary esp if you're running out of study time? thanks

thanks lipofuscin232--do you (or anyone else) think doing goljan audio is worth it/necessary esp if you're running out of study time? thanks

You're thinking about reading his 600+ page text and yet are asking whether or not you have time to use the audio? How does that make sense?

If "running out of study time" means 2-3 weeks, then I wouldn't bother starting Goljan now. What would be the point? If you mean 2-3 months (which is when many people start studying for boards), then I recommend using his material.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Goljan Path is Absolutely worth the time.
The great think about Goljan path is that he reviews other subjects as well. Like he will throw in the treatment for some bug or remind you about a potential anatomy or Biochem question. That way you are learning path and reviewing some of the other subjects.

I was running out of study time as well...and I am almost through with Goljan's Rapid Review Path book + Audio (I have listened to the lectures while going through the book). I think that you can get through it all in about 1-2 weeks.

I feel it is definetly worth it. The majority of the questions on Step I are Pathology (or Pathophys)....and getting most of those questions right will definetly help you on the Boards. Like a previous poster said, I too have been getting around 80+ % of Pathology questions right after using Goljan... :)

Good luck and hope you are able to get through it....cuz I really think it is worth it.

by the way...i Forgot to mention that while studying for the Pathology Miniboard (NBME miniboard)...I used the Kaplan Path book + webprep Audio lectures.
I think the Kaplan book is okay (better than BRS)....however Goljan is sooooooo much better. His book has color pictures and Great charts...and by listening to his audio he tells you how to integrate important concepts and the way they ask questions. Put in a few extra days and I think it will pay off in the end.

Let me know if you have anymore questions

I am running out of time and have decided to do First Aid path by system. Followed by listening to Goljan to bring it all together. Is this an ok strategy?

I will be using UW questions with each section as well.

I personally did not use the audio being since it's 40 hours total and just didn't think I needed to spend more time on path...but I would recommend spending time on the audio if you are weak in a certain area a.k.a respiratory, etc...it's not that his audio wasn't good, it's just time consuming. I would definitely try to get through the book first and if have time leftover do the audio...he mentions everything in his book that is included in his audio such as old test questions etc...they are just not as obvious. Like he mentioned that Legionella can be associated with sprinklers in grocery stores in a chart in his book...I assume that was a previous test question because it's a pretty random fact. But anyways, I agree with the other posters that it is 100% worth spending time on his book, even if you only have a few days